I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica Mini II, Kodak BW 400

Sharif

• Like 18

She is awesome! Great photograph!

thanks, Mike.  Yeah, she has "don't F$ck with me" all over her face.  And the two in the back have "Dude, don't F$ck with her" all over their faces.  And then there are those warm and cozy hot roasted chestnuts in the background - a winter favorite!!  

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think he likes me :)

NYC

Portra 400

M-A, 28 elmarit pre-asph

I don’t think he really likes you Adam :)

Apart from the priceless moment, I like the predominant warm brown colors in the frame.

Edited by edwardkaraa
  • Like 2

... Simply fascinating comparison, Pete.  I spent a lot of time with these photos, thinking about what it says about the lenses.  Clearly, the modern lens captures deeper blacks and is sharper, at least at infinity.  Having said this, my sense is that you shot this fairly wide open (assuming you didn't use a tripod), and it probably is the case that the softness you got from the older lens needs is due at least partially to this and if you were able to stop down to f11 or more you'd get much better edge to edge sharpness.  The relative softness of the older lens would seem to make it more conducive to portraits and general people photos.  In any case, it is another painterly photo of a scene that you rightly point out that I know very well.  ...

Hi, Adam,

Thanks for your kind words.

Yes the Carl Zeiss Jena was shot wide open (f/2) and the Zeiss 50/1.5 ZM C-Sonnar was shot one stop down (f/2) to try to get the best comparison.

Indeed stopping down would produce sharper pictures but the fold-away tripod I had with me perfectly aligned the camera with the top railing of the fence so I had to shoot hand-held supported on the railing at 1/4 second so there might be some jiggly softness.  I had intended to compare stopped down with wide open - hence the tripod - but I'll have to return with a taller tripod for that.

The Zeiss is definitely the contrastier of the two lenses but I would expect that owing to the improvements in coating technology that have taken place in the 70 years between their birthdays.

Pete.

• Like 3

PS I found a store selling a used Summicron 50 type 5, the last non asph. Should I keep thinking about it?

For hi-res digital I might be a bit sceptical, depending on your expectations and on what you want to achieve with this lens.

For film, this lens, if in good condition, will give you a lifetime of satisfaction. Some specimen are a bit flare-prone in extreme lighting conditions, but you have to ‚work hard’ to make that spoil a picture, especially when always extending the built-in hood.

IMHO it is as near to an ‚all purpose‘ lens as you can get.

[ By the way, I find the ‚inofficial numbering‘ of the final pre-ASPH Cron 50 very confusing. Laney, in his Leica Collector’s Guide, gives Summicron IV (1980-1994) and, because only the mount and hood were changed, while all other lens parameters remained the same, continues with Summicron IV (1994-). Others count that lens as Summicron V. But in essence it really is the same lens from 1980, as well as the retro styled 50 year Summicron special edition. I myself am sufficiently perplexed to sometimes post my pictures as being taken with a Cron IV or a Cron V, although I own just a single specimen of this lens ;) ]

Edit:

Film example just a few lines up in this thread: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/?p=3468249

Digital example in b/w thread: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/257654-black-and-white-image-thread/?p=3302681

Edited by schattenundlicht
  • Like 3

Lisboa

• Like 17

Guest Nowhereman

For those interested in photography rather than bar brawls, here is another image from the shoot as post #47872 and post #47947 above. There are many ways of processing or printing a series of film images, particularly portraits, it seems to me, that can go from harsh realism to glamour. I still have more to work on...(M3/DR Summicron/Tri-X in D76.)

Lovely photos, Henry.

Looks like there's more snow in Paris than at 750m here in Haute-Savoie!

Thank you Pritam for watching and commenting

As you also know new siberian wave with minus 25°C arrive

beginning of this week a Hi from our friend Putine

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 2

Tulips in Your Face

Butchart Gardens, Victoria, B. C., Canada

April 2001

M6, 35mm Summicron, Velvia

39756951654_1a80799e6e_b.jpg

Tulips in Your Face by Jay Burleson Seattle, on Flickr

Jay wonderful color

M4, 50mm Elmar-M, Cinestill BWXX

38655648480_1c11ff6bd9_b.jpg

Crow. by Abram Goglanian, on Flickr

SaveSave

Abram a very nice picture in b&w

Mumbai, India...

(SWC w/ Tri-X)

25599615757_4a734b8868_b.jpgA001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

38660157540_5e8f5eac4d_b.jpgA002 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

I like these pictures Eoin in dark light condition and well done

The rendering of TX400 is very nice in these conditions.

Lisboa

attachicon.giflisboa.jpg

Well captured BL

This is wonderful, Philip - A chemical painting.

I agree with Eoin Philip that's what I call a simple and subtle picture

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 2

I like the perspective of this one Antonio. 

I'm in Milano again for a few days. I'm going to try and shoot some more Fomapan 400.

In the meanwhile this is from my last visit in January. The fog hid the Madunina, the golden statue of the Virgin Mary on the roof of the Duomo Cathedral.

M6, Summicron 35 asph, Fomapan 400, HC-110 dil B

39753932084_63c4f9216e_b.jpg

20180211-DSCF1138 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

PS I found a store selling a used Summicron 50 type 5, the last non asph. Should I keep thinking about it? 

Haha, yes perhaps. I noticed his head is small compared to the rest of his body.

I think he likes me :)

NYC

Portra 400

M-A, 28 elmarit pre-asph

Terrific silhouette Abram, very enjoyable.

M4, 50mm Elmar-M, Cinestill BWXX

38655648480_1c11ff6bd9_b.jpg

Crow. by Abram Goglanian, on Flickr

SaveSave

What a wonderful colourful contrast, Jay. Perfect for Velvia imho.

Tulips in Your Face

Butchart Gardens, Victoria, B. C., Canada

April 2001

M6, 35mm Summicron, Velvia

39756951654_1a80799e6e_b.jpg

Tulips in Your Face by Jay Burleson Seattle, on Flickr

• Like 4