I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Haha very cool, and your commentary is priceless :)

An assembly line of New Yorkers just waiting to be shot :)

Portra 400

M7, 28 elmarit pre-asph

attachicon.gifassembly line.jpg

Wonderful colours Pritam.

The river Garonne, flying over Bordeaux, inspired by James' photo!

attachicon.gifeasyJet.jpg

Hi Henry, forgive me, I don't want to move the thread away from the purpose of posting photos, but just to say quickly that TiFF was created by Aldus Corporation which was subsequently bought by Adobe, which in turn keeps updating the TIFF format. RAW DNG is based on the TIFF format. One idea behind DNG is to move away from manufacturer-specific file formats. I believe it is possible to change rename a DNG file to TIF and still open it. 

Thanks Eoin

If I have time I'll show you that TIFF (created by Microsoft) with some useful links

is better than RAW-DNG (created by Adobe) I think it's interesting to know these notions

here in this film thread. In practice I prefer to keep in TIFF (RAW-DNG for my digit M)

The Nikon scans in 16 bits and in TIFF and LR in (RAW) DNG.

It is by mentioning this useful question for All of us  that someone here spoke about

"can's worms" like a "rotten can".

The size of TIFF (multiple layers) is bigger than DNG  and need bigger Hard Disk for

saving.

Best

Henry

Terrific photo Mark. 

Sucevita Monastery, northeastern Romania 2011.

Leica MP, 28mm Summicron, HP5+

Lovely series Edward, this one is my favourite.

Friendly chaps :)

38467944070_0efa233000_o.jpgFM3A 50/1.2 AI-S PORTRA 160 by edward karaa, on Flickr

Edited by philipus
  • Like 5

Imagine a IID with a good bit of sand in the winding and focusing mechanisms.........something that you don't mind carrying around in the rain. :)

You have to love that story. But in all honesty, it should have been obvious it was not a Zorki the first time he rotated the film advance.

No disrespect to Leica: I would have put the Zorki cover plate back in place. I would say such a camera is worth more- now that it secrets are known- as a disguised/molested Leica.

My very early Kiev, with Soviet Sonnar, has turned out to be a fantastic camera......Purchased for the price of a date with my wife. My trusted purveyor of Soviet goodies, a Ukrainian immigrant to U.S., points out, in the early days the possible penalties for turning out poor work included trips to prison or work camp (gulag.) Without Leica, there would be no Zorki. I sort of see the early Zorkis as part of Leica history.*

*If necessary, I am willing to give up my fascination with the Russian stuff to maintain my membership in this fine community. :)

Best,

Wayne

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 5

My wife last summer

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica MP, Summilux 35, Agfa CT Precisa 100

• Like 18

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Imagine a IID with a good bit of sand in the winding and focusing mechanisms.........something that you don't mind carrying around in the rain. :)

I have a Zorki 4K from 1975, but the only thing that it has been good at so far was ripping a roll of HP5 ...

I should try again. The Jupiter 8 doesn't see a bad lens.

• Like 2

Skiing in Switzerland, my mother with friends, seventy years ago

• Like 16

• Like 18

This winter fun (?) is at least eighty years old

• Like 18

Film photography is the best way to preserve the past.

Winter fun in Switzerland about 70 years ago.

• Like 17

This winter fun (?) is at least eighty years old

attachicon.gif_DSC0563.jpg

Yesterday, I received my copy of Kruckenhausers's Snow Canvas (English translation.) I love it. One of the best book purchases I have made. It features a page that gives Title, plate number, lens, exposure, stop, and filter information for each individual photograph. There are close to 88 plates and, of particular interest to me, many of them were taken with Mountain Elmar. I would say it is a "must have" for any fan of old photographs.

• Like 7

Thanks, Steve. Fomapan seems to flare a little bit more than HP5 and Tri-X, but I don't have a straight comparison in similar conditions. Maybe it also depends on the type of light bulbs?

I have to say that in general I do not dislike the glow around the lights.

M6, Summicron 35 asph, Fomapan 400, HC-110 dil B 

39380881185_5a598e306a_b.jpg

20180211-DSCF1112-2 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

M6, Summicron 35 asph, HP5 @ 1600, HC-110 dil B

38467787210_47c4442caa_b.jpg

20171203-DSCF0555 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

Thanks for the comparison Antonio. I think we can rule out the lens for the flare, I also have the 35 asph and I know it's a well behaved lens. Since watching your Foma shots I've been doing some digging; nothing conclusive but the suggestion is that Foma films have a less effective anti-halo layer / backing, compared to HP5 or Tri-X for example. Apparently Retropan 320 doesn't have an H-A layer, quite a quirky film too if developed in Foma's special brew.

My plan is to order Foma 100, 200, 400 and maybe some Retropan and have a play. I really like the diffusion from bright lights, adds a certain old world glow unlike the clinical sharpness of digital.

• Like 3

Thanks Eoin

If I have time I'll show you that TIFF (created by Microsoft) with some useful links

is better than RAW-DNG (created by Adobe) I think it's interesting to know these notions

here in this film thread. In practice I prefer to keep in TIFF (RAW-DNG for my digit M)

The Nikon scans in 16 bits and in TIFF and LR in (RAW) DNG.

It is by mentioning this useful question for All of us  that someone here spoke about

"can's worms" like a "rotten can".

The size of TIFF (multiple layers) is bigger than DNG  and need bigger Hard Disk for

saving.

Best

Henry

Hi, Henry. To slightly correct my earlier statement, I scan as TIFF, then copy to LR as DNG.

• Like 1