I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Very well spotted Bob and great composition and colours. Vista 200 is a great film.

Barmouth Beach, on a cold wet day in January.  The dog seems to be enjoying his walk though .....

attachicon.gifPENTAX MZ-60-1000016.jpg

Pentax MZ-60, SMC FA 35-80, Agfa Vista Plus 200 @ 320

I like this kind of creativity and the result is excellent. Plus the photo is good in its own right, too. Incidentally if you can find an Image Mechanics tray you can wet mount with the 9000.

An analogue memory from the Faroe Islands.

This image may need some explanation... For quite some years I brought two Mamiya 7 bodies with me, one loaded with colour film and the other with infrared film. Mounted on a tripod, using the same lens and same lens settings - including sufficiently large dof for both visible and ir-light - two closely matching images are captured. The images are then (manually) stacked in photoshop, easier said than done, this one..., and after some blending and layer adjustments and similar exercises, a quasi-coloured infrared image emerge.

The end result vary from the most boring to more interesting. Personally I like this one, taken on one of the rare sunny summer days on the Faroe Islands (apologise for any Faroe readers, but a sunny day is not the rule in the midst of the northern North Atlantic). Personally, I like the mix of the dramatic sky (from the ir-capture), the greenish tint from grass moving in the wind (from the colour capture, obviously) and the characteristic Faroe sea/fjord/mountain landscape.

The procedure is interesting in that you hardly know what to end up with. The hit rate obviously increases after repeated error & trial, but it is still hard to know what the computer will bring forward.

But fun it is...

Mamiya 7 with 43mm. Fuji Provia 100 + Maco IR 820c w B+H 092-filter.

(And yes, you can of course follow a similar procedure with digital captures. But my preference is for film.)

Great photo Ian. I like that the path is off-centre and the colours are sublime.

A quite different time of the year. Fuji 400H Pro and 28 Summaron-M.

40024453571_4fc768d052_b.jpg

Wow tones to die for, very nice indeed Eoin. Oh I must refrain from looking at 4x5 cameras...

I had a day out in Perth with my daughter giving her a chance to try my Shen Hao 4x5 with Delta 100. We both enjoyed it...
40151706652_df35614f3a_h.jpgS001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This shot was taken during the New Year's Eve in 2005. A friend of mine and I were skiing to a glacier on the western coast of Norway (Folgefonna). We didn't manage to reach the top-most cabin due to very strong wind (close to hurricane force) and low temperature (-15 deg C or thereabout). Luckily, we managed to reach a small cabin, 2 km or so, from the top-most cabin. We stayed at this cabin for one and a half day, waiting for the storm to pass. We were both afraid that the cabin could be blown away. Quite scary, actually. At sunset the second evening (about half past three, local time), the sun showed up for a short time. I jumped out of the sleeping bag, put the skiing booths on, and ran out. I managed to take a few pictures, standing in lee of the cabin. I remember that the shutter speed was low, possibly 1/10 to 1/15 sec. One picture was fine, the others were blurred. A few moments later, the sun was gone, and we were left with darkness and wind. The weather improved during the night, so the following morning we could ski to the top-most cabin.

Mamiya 7II, 43mm, Fuji Provia 100, handheld at shortish shutter speed. Wet-scan on an Epson flatbed V850. 

Quite the story!  And breathtaking photo... glad you were able to get something so beautiful out of something so terrifying!

—Peter.

This image may need some explanation... For quite some years I brought two Mamiya 7 bodies with me, one loaded with colour film and the other with infrared film. Mounted on a tripod, using the same lens and same lens settings - including sufficiently large dof for both visible and ir-light - two closely matching images are captured. The images are then (manually) stacked in photoshop, easier said than done, this one..., and after some blending and layer adjustments and similar exercises, a quasi-coloured infrared image emerge.

The end result vary from the most boring to more interesting. Personally I like this one, taken on one of the rare sunny summer days on the Faroe Islands (apologise for any Faroe readers, but a sunny day is not the rule in the midst of the northern North Atlantic). Personally, I like the mix of the dramatic sky (from the ir-capture), the greenish tint from grass moving in the wind (from the colour capture, obviously) and the characteristic Faroe sea/fjord/mountain landscape.

The procedure is interesting in that you hardly know what to end up with. The hit rate obviously increases after repeated error & trial, but it is still hard to know what the computer will bring forward.

But fun it is...

(And yes, you can of course follow a similar procedure with digital captures. But my preference is for film.)

Another breathtaking image!  The Mamiya 7 was put to great use in your hands... wow.

—Peter.

But fun it is...

Like your last posting, helged, this is outstanding - not only the superb picture, but the story and process. I agree about your preference for film for this type of shot despite, or maybe because of, the increased skill needed. Because you end up with a picture that looks like film - it has a quality that digital does not (not saying that digital doesn't have its own qualities, but it doesn't have film qualities).

I'm also personally delighted to see your expert and creative use of the Mamiya 7. I hope it will inspire me to dust off mine and put it to good use.

• Like 1

in the shadows of a narrow alleyway strewn with obsolete film canisters and discarded, curly, brown plastic strips with tell-tale sprocket holes two strangers approached one another guardedly. A faraway siren sounds mournfully in the background. The first man speaks and says "I've been expecting someone. Are you ... "

The other replies quickly "Yes. Do you have it with you?"

"Yes," said the first man, "Are you sure you want it?"

The second man notices a brief metallic reflection from something hanging from a leather strap over the first man's shoulder and immediately starts to relax. No digital cameras to worry about here.

"Yes I do!" replied the second man, "It's very high on my list."

A package passes quickly between them, unseen by others and the deal is done. The Adox Color Implosion has found its mark.

The men part without further ado apart from a quick coffee and chat about emulsion and addiction.

Such is a brief glimpse into a post-Color Implosion world.

You are going to get a deal from Hollywood on your “Adoxrunner!” Future noir, so retro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I don't know exactly why but I found this one mesmerizing.  I found myself still staring after about a half a minute.    Nice!

attachicon.gifimg506.JPG

Pentax LX, Pentax SMC 50mm 1.4, Foma 100

Very surreal photo and I love the embracing of the blue shadows.  I'll bet the slide looks incredible on a light box.

This shot was taken during the New Year's Eve in 2005. A friend of mine and I were skiing to a glacier on the western coast of Norway (Folgefonna). We didn't manage to reach the top-most cabin due to very strong wind (close to hurricane force) and low temperature (-15 deg C or thereabout). Luckily, we managed to reach a small cabin, 2 km or so, from the top-most cabin. We stayed at this cabin for one and a half day, waiting for the storm to pass. We were both afraid that the cabin could be blown away. Quite scary, actually. At sunset the second evening (about half past three, local time), the sun showed up for a short time. I jumped out of the sleeping bag, put the skiing booths on, and ran out. I managed to take a few pictures, standing in lee of the cabin. I remember that the shutter speed was low, possibly 1/10 to 1/15 sec. One picture was fine, the others were blurred. A few moments later, the sun was gone, and we were left with darkness and wind. The weather improved during the night, so the following morning we could ski to the top-most cabin.

Mamiya 7II, 43mm, Fuji Provia 100, handheld at shortish shutter speed. Wet-scan on an Epson flatbed V850. 

Wow, this is beautiful, Eoin.  I agree with Pete; my first guess was Acros but then when I saw the Delta 100 I kicked myself as I should have also had that in mind.  Amazing resolution you got with the larger film plane. 

I had a day out in Perth with my daughter giving her a chance to try my Shen Hao 4x5 with Delta 100. We both enjoyed it...
S001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Welcome back, Keith.  Very nice and hope your film itch will keep itching!

Far too many distractions of late (lots of PC & iMac problems) plus (shock-horror) a new digital toy to play with...  Did manage a brief outing last week with my Hasselblad 500C, 60mm Distagon and a roll of Fomapan 100.  Developed and scanned today, first result below, more to follow...

Very nice ones, Robert.  This one is particularly peaceful.  

Barmouth Beach, on a cold wet day in January.  The dog seems to be enjoying his walk though .....

attachicon.gifPENTAX MZ-60-1000016.jpg

Pentax MZ-60, SMC FA 35-80, Agfa Vista Plus 200 @ 320

Very nice, Wayne.

Wall, wire, art. by W P_, on Flickr

Made me think of the Berlin Wall memorial I visited last weekend.

Kiev II, 50mm 2.0 Sonnar (Soviet edition), Svema Color 120

I like this one even better than the first that you posted (which is also really nice).  I love the colors and the grand view with the bursting clouds.  It looks as if the horizon may not be perfectly level, although it could be me.

But fun it is...

Very nice, Ian.  Really really are making good use of that lens.  It is in good hands.  

I don't think I've posted this one before. From last spring up on the downs near Oare. Only about 8 weeks until spring gets going again this year.

Portra 400 and 28 Summaron-M.

As am I, Philip.  Very nice :)}

I'm a sucker for clouds, can't help it.

Flickr

80 Planar Ektar

• Like 5

So Tahlay's got herself a Shen Hao as well as an M6 now, Eoin?  :D

The Delta 100 shows a lovely range of tones.

Pete.

You can read the situation like a book, Pete - Those forlorn eyes, and the enthusiasm nearly got me, but I managed to sneak it back into my backpack when she wasn't watching... :ph34r:

I was meant to pick up the M6 on the way, but somehow it never made it... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Wow! Absolutely stunning.

I don't know exactly why but I found this one mesmerizing.  I found myself still staring after about a half a minute.    Nice!

Very surreal photo and I love the embracing of the blue shadows.  I'll bet the slide looks incredible on a light box.

Wow, this is beautiful, Eoin.  I agree with Pete; my first guess was Acros but then when I saw the Delta 100 I kicked myself as I should have also had that in mind.  Amazing resolution you got with the larger film plane. 

Welcome back, Keith.  Very nice and hope your film itch will keep itching!

Very nice ones, Robert.  This one is particularly peaceful.  

Very nice, Wayne.

I like this one even better than the first that you posted (which is also really nice).  I love the colors and the grand view with the bursting clouds.  It looks as if the horizon may not be perfectly level, although it could be me.

Very nice, Ian.  Really really are making good use of that lens.  It is in good hands.  

As am I, Philip.  Very nice :)}

Thanks, Adam. For some reason it entranced me as well........but while I was standing there. I could have been killed by traffic. :)

Thanks again.

• Like 2