I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Evaluation needed.

Please note the marks, reminiscent of film perforations, running across the middle of this photograph. Shot was take with Foca Universal and Oplar 50mm 2.8 lens. Film used was Holga 400. The Foca camera is a bit unique in that the film pressure plate is chromed. IOW, it is so bright that it could be used as a surrogate for a glass mirror. As I view the markings, I have to wonder if they are not the result of light being reflected off of the pressure plate, and back onto the emulsion. The marks do not appear on all other photos taken with this roll of film, but do appear on some....and not always in the same place, but, generally, running somewhat vertically across the image.

Any thoughts?

Best,

Wayne

attachicon.gifimg479d.JPG

Wayne,

"The Foca camera is a bit unique in that the film pressure plate is chromed"

IMO, the lack of an anti-halation backing on the b&w film plus the shiny bright pressure plate are to blame.

Paint the pressure plate with lacquered black paint or with a permanent marker and you should be fine !

My 2 cents, JM.

Even under the above circumstances the two players cannot make money (Fuji lives of Instax and Kodak of the movie industry). Thus there will be no one entering the color film market as long as this situation remains....

While I don't doubt that the person writing this has more insight than I do into the economics of color-film production, I'm simply amazed that it can't be a small-scale profitable business.

Outside of this forum (with a higher proportion of HCB-type black-and-white enthusiasts) I see enormous amounts of color film being shot (I don't just mean personally, but also on Flickr and other sites).

Anyway, not really a discussion for this thread (and it's been gone over so many times before), but the attitude of the ADOX person felt pretty defeatist.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

While I don't doubt that the person writing this has more insight than I do into the economics of color-film production, I'm simply amazed that it can't be a small-scale profitable business.

Outside of this forum (with a higher proportion of HCB-type black-and-white enthusiasts) I see enormous amounts of color film being shot (I don't just mean personally, but also on Flickr and other sites).

Anyway, not really a discussion for this thread (and it's been gone over so many times before), but the attitude of the ADOX person felt pretty defeatist.

I agree.  But that other color film stock  (lomo, cinestill, etc) we see on FB and otherwise isn't made in Germany....  ;)

• Like 3

Just following up my post of a week or so ago, thinking about the possibilty that Color Implosion might be introduced again, I heard back from Adox last night. Here is firstly my query:

Hi,

I tried to post this question yesterday but for some reason the content was wiped out. I’ll try again!

Having read your response to a question by Niall a few months ago, that you are no longer able to produce color film at the facility that produced the original Color Implosion, I wonder when you will be able to produce a color film, and whether you have plans to produce anything like Color Implosion.

I belong to a group at the Leica User Forum who post in a thread called “I Like Film” where we discuss the different types of film and show examples. I can say confidently that Adox Color Implosion has a very enthusiastic following there – in fact I think among us that we have probably bought up all the remaining stocks! We value it, I think, for it’s wonderful grain and subdued colors, the way red is reproduced, and an overall look and feel that is not available with any other film. In thoughtful hands, this film makes a wonderful tool for the fine art photographer.

So, on behalf of at least that group of people, I’d be interested to learn if you have any plans to post-process anything that will be anything like Color Implosion. I’m sure there are many others who’d be interested to learn the same.

Thank you and best regards,

Phil Wright

and their response:

Mirko Böddecker Staff answered 16 hours ago

I wonder when you will be able to produce a color film

This question has been asked numerous times in various places. Colorfilm is currently produced by two players putting out this product at rock bottom prices on writen off machines in written off buildings and using written off technology and staff trained more than 20 years ago. It is prohibitive to enter this market from the outside. Even under the above circumstances the two players cannot make money (Fuji lives of Instax and Kodak of the movie industry). Thus there will be no one entering the color film market as long as this situation remains. A possible exemption is Film Ferrania because they have inherited the technology and (more important) stock of raw materials from which they can make film. But this project also need external financing and is progressing rather slowly.

So the answer for ADOX is: Not as long as a roll of color film costs less than 10 USD

We do have plans to post process other color material and make a new creative film but it will not be the same as Color Implosion and this stock will be limited as well because currently no color film is supplied at all by either Fuji or Kodak to third parties.

So there you go - it sounds from this as though colour film is only just hanging on at all. I guess our best bet is to buy it, shoot it and keep it ticking over.

I also received finally a response from ADOX about reinstating Color Implosion:

(sic) "It´s impossible. Color Implosion was limited to begin with and there is a reason. The raw material is no longer available and even with billions of dollars it could not be remanufactured. Manufacturig a color product is about the same level of technology as building a rocket."

A little too much hyperbole here for my taste.  I hear the message loud and clear but in the words of Hamlet's Queen Gertrude: 'methinks thou doth protest too much'.

Pete.

• Like 6

(sic) "It´s impossible... Manufacturig a color product is about the same level of technology as building a rocket."

A little too much hyperbole here for my taste. I hear the message loud and clear but in the words of Hamlet's Queen Gertrude: 'methinks thou doth protest too much'.

Pete.

I agree Pete. Sometime ago I watched a youtube video about a guy who'd made some tiny amount of color negative film in his garage (unfortunately I can't find it now). In any case, while apparently very difficult, it seems to me ADOX don't actually want to make color film.

• Like 2

Excellent save there Adam. Very cool shot.

Some more New Yorkers with the roll of Portra 160 that I thought was Portra 400 and which I rated at somewhere around 400-640 and developed at 480 (which amounted to a 1.5 stop push, for fear that the negs would be too thin with a full 2 stop push)    :wacko:

One man's lemons is another man's lemonade  :)

IIIg, 28 summaron

Wonderful photo Wayne and a very cute baby. I watched Darkest Hour yesterday and Oldman has his Churchill say that he looks like all babies. I don't think that's very true at all. 

Best seat in the house: Grandpa's lap.

attachicon.gifimg493a.JPG

Kiev II, 50mm f2 Sonnar (Soviet version,) Cinestill 800

Terrific Pete. He's no doubt waiting a drop from Control or someone else in the Circus.

Shot in 2018 but could equally be from the Cold War years.  Tower Bridge.

Lady Grey 400 with M3 and 50/2 Rigid Summicron.

attachicon.gifTower Bridge Cold War 2018.jpg

• Like 5

... Terrific Pete. He's no doubt waiting a drop from Control or someone else in the Circus.

Thanks very much, Philip.

Yes: "The fog in The Ardennes is tricky at this time of year." or some such coded message. :D  I could imagine Alec Guinness playing the part.

Pete.

• Like 1

Blimey, I thought it was Harold Wilson for a second. :D

Yes he does bear quite a resemblance doesn't he, Ian?  I'm just not quite sure that Harold Wilson would wear trainers - or Hush Puppies in his day - with a Mac and Rosewood pipe though. :lol:

Pete.

• Like 1

NYC

M-A, 28 elmarit pre-asph, Provia 100F (+2, per another work accident :wacko: )

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by A miller
  • Like 19

while we are on the subject of red.... :)

Portra 400

28 elmarit pre-asph

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 19