I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

oops .... here is the shot ....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 17

This version looks best to my eyes, Steve. The previous versions are not very kind to this lady's complexion.

Thanks .... it is, I wasn't trying to show anything out of the camera other than that. I suppose the lesson here with these is that with a20MB TIFF there is a lot of room latitude, and if you make a IMACON 90MB  scan, well then you can make a real print...in other words, film isn't really that limiting in PP when scanned....

• Like 2

Leica M6, 90mm APO, Kodak Portra 400

• Like 14

Hi Wayne,

the east side of the wall normally was a no go zone, that only authorized people are allowed to enter. Also it was forbidden to take photos of the border scenery in the GDR. So only few pictures of from the east exist. There where some publications with photos taken from officials of former GDR border patrol troops after the fall of the wall. But of course they where secret during the cold war.

But as you can see in my second picture, the wall that you can see and touch from the west is only the first of at least two. Normally there where also fences before the inner wall, so you can't go there. The area between the first and second wall (you can have a look at it in my picture) was the death strip. It was kept clear of vegetation or other obstacles and was watched day and night. If one somehow managed to go there mostly he got shot. So no person could go there to paint something on the wall. Therefore one side is clean.

The picture was taken at the Potsdamer Platz, what now is one of the busiest places in town. This way through the death strip you can see in my pictures was opened a few days after the GDR opened the border. Before there where only few, heavily secured places where you can pass the border. They where all overstrained so they break additional ways trough the wall.

The first picture was taken at the Checkpoint Charly.

Best Frank

This is a photograph of our wall memorial. The patron is reading the commemorative, written on the graffiti covered side- covered in protective glass. As you can see, the East side of the memorial remains unmarked and is not protected. Thank you for your explanation. I can not say why, but for some reason I was profoundly moved by the unmarked side, sensing it somehow represented greater significance. 

It also struck me that I was taking the photograph with East-Bloc film manufactured at about the time the wall came down. :)

IIIA, VC 28mm 3.5 LTM, Svema FN-32

• Like 15

The other side.

IIIA, VC 28mm 3.5 LTM, Svema FN-32

• Like 13

This one is very nice, Steve.  I'll bet she'd like it the best of the lot as well as it is very flattering to her.  I think we are one the same page regarding the capability of the film scan (even the lab scan)

here's another version, more playing around with film .... yes, lots of latitude here even with a 24mb TIFF file ..

Thanks a lot!

Wonderful images Adam...

This is awesome.   I very much want to be there!

M6, 28mm Summaron, Portra 400

attachicon.gifSea.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Steve, for me it depends on what you 'saw' in making the photo. The more contrasty versions might have been that. I prefer the flatter/softer versions you showed later, but I can certainly see the appeal in the first versions. As for the photos themselves I much prefer the one at the bottom of the previous page. That could be a movie still even because rather than just be or look in the camera the model is somehow expressing something. I also like that the highlights are a bit more under control. 

here's another version, more playing around with film .... yes, lots of latitude here even with a 24mb TIFF file ..

Very nice shot Wonzo.

M6, 28mm Summaron, Portra 400

attachicon.gifSea.jpg

Then it is a particularly good result methinks.

It's a 4 shot stitched panorama, probably taken with my 35 Summicron ASPH.

• Like 3

Last ones for now - two sides of the same rock. 80 Planar and Ektar.

26127067348_c3f945a49b_b.jpg

Flickr

25128969637_4f13caa0dd_b.jpg

Flickr

Second shot is spectacular. There are certain photographs, and the second is one of them, rendered by Zeiss Planar lens configuration that, for me, show how truly unique the lenses are. The only way I can describe it is a bit of wonderment. When I view 3D images, I am fascinated by them, but never fail to note the artificial. The Planar, in certain images, seems to capture it without the distraction of the obviously artificial.

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 1

Stoking the fire at the brick kiln. Kampong Chhnang, Cambodia.

T-Max 100

• Like 14

I took this photo with Leica M4-P and Summicron 50mm. My challenge for this photo was the exposure where the sky in Toronto is just consisted of grey colour. Any decrease on shutter speed would make the sky overexposure. Please give me your critique,

Thanks 2b085489e020035b561368241e740fb8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 7