I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you. Yes - 18 Euro for two rolls of FP4!

Wow! That’s really expensive even for Munich. Try “Foto Dinkel” next time and pay a visit to a small analog camera repair shop of Mr. Wiener a few meters away on the same street.. Edited by Tmx
  • Like 1

Wow! That’s really expensive even for Munich. Try “Foto Dinkel” next time and pay a visit to a small camera repair shop of Mr. Wiener a few meters away on the same street..

Thank you. Yes - 18 Euro for two rolls of FP4!

Colin and TMX buy here , it's my provider for paper,film and developer fixer

https://www.macodirect.de/en/film/black-white-films/1782/ilford-fp4-35mm-36-exposures?c=617

5.10 Euros for 10 rolls

You wait only 2-3 days and sent by UPS or DHL

Above 350 Euros it's free

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 3

Excellent Wayne. And if one looks closely it seems almost as if the girl at left is the one who was photographed in the picture in the window. 

attachicon.gifimg424r.JPG

IIIA, VC 28mm 3.5, Svema FN-32

Delightful, I miss snow. It seems T-Max goes quite grainy in Adonal/Rodinal, which suits the photo well.

Wintertime

23244618650_3f7e58dc0d_b.jpg

Leica M7 * Leica Summicron M 2.0/35 Asph * Kodak TMax 400 * Adonal 1+50 * Nikon Coolscan V ED

Well done Peter, excellent result with such a low light level.

"The Winter Evening Portrait"

(1/15 sec @ f/2 in the faintest of light)

Leica M3, Leica 50mm Summicron Dual Range, Kodak Tri-X 400, and Plustek 8200i.

―Peter.

the-winter-evening-portrait.jpg

Thanks Steve, I wasn't aware of that thread.

You should post more often Colin you have a brilliant photographic 'eye'. (I recommend others to Colin's Instagram page, and of course to the 'What do we photograph on the streets' topic on the Street Photography thread, here on the Leica forum).

• Like 5

Doc Henry and Tmx - thank you both very much. Very helpful. I've never been to Munich before, so didn't really know my way around. I have to confess that I stumbled across the Leica shop, and that was where I bought the film. I'm sure it might have been cheaper elsewhere.

Great city, Munich, by the way. Lovely friendly people.

• Like 2

I don't know if I'm alone in this but I find it enjoyable looking at the work of other photographers, however it often makes me dissatisfied with my own meager output.

A prime goal for me is to look at, and learn from, other people’s pictures. And occasionally share my experience with others who are heading towards a rabbit hole I have escaped from.

• Like 3

Thanks, Edward!  The feedback is very useful!

Awesome shot, Adam! Your snowstorm series are getting better and better. You must be keeping the best for last  :)

Thanks very much.  I really appreciate the feedback!

Also in my opinion the best shot of the entire series Adam! I also prefer the „delayed“ version without the face behind - a great inner cinema!

Thanks, Peter.  The wide variety of film photography from all over the world is one of my favorites aspects of this great thread.    

Totally different images, created with totally different gear, yet both equally wonderful!

Wayne I'm envious of your IIIA + VC 28mm 3.5 LTM combination... you are really doing wonderful things with this very diminutive set.

―Peter.

Great photo, Colin!  Love the symmetry and your shadow adds a personal touch.  I haven't had much experience pushing Delta 400.  It is thus interesting and informative to see your example and hear your POV and experience.  Hope you keep on sharing here, and give your digitals a rest once in a while!

I'm an infrequent visitor to this incredible thread. It just moves so fast, it's added to all the time. So forgive me if I'm bringing up a subject which has already been covered.

I don't shoot much film, but I do shoot it regularly, perhaps one or two films a month. Mostly black and white. Went to Munich for a week's break in January, and decided to just shoot film. Normally I shoot Ilford HP5 and FP4, but I decided to give Delta 400 a go, just for a change.

I rated the Delta 400 at 800 ISO, because it was supposed to be bad weather in Munich. Turned out the weather was pretty nice, almost spring-like, but I still shot (three rolls) at 800, just so I could develop them in the same tank. When I used up the Delta 400, I bought a couple of rolls of FP4 in Munich.

Developed the five films the other day - the two rolls of FP4, and the three rolls of Delta 400 (rated at 800). Developed the Delta 400 in ID-11(1+1) for 17.5 minutes, as recommended by Ilford.

All I can say is that I'm absolutely amazed at the Delta 400. I'm attaching one of the shots I took on it (Leica M4, 35mm Summaron F2.8). Actually thought this was one of the FP4 shots, but it's Delta 400 pushed to 800. The detail, fine grain, and beautiful tones look to me like FP4, or even Pan F. I've always liked HP5 pushed to 800. It has grit and grain, and looks quite muscular in the rendering of tones, with fairly abrupt gradations. But the pushed Delta 400 is something else. I take my hat off to Ilford. What an incredible emulsion! 

• Like 2

Three palm trees in Brindisi. Palm trees look good to me on black and white film.

I took the same shot in July using a different camera and a different film. I honestly don't know which one I prefer. Fomapan looks more dramatic, but PanF looks really classic.

Post-processing was the almost the same for both images.

Leica M6, Canon LTM 50/1.4, Fomapan 400, HC-110 dil B

40031018632_ba71e19b9b_b.jpg

20180201-DSCF1007 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

Nikon F, Nikkor 50/1.4, Ilford PanF+ HC-110 dil F

40063642411_94b381a328_b.jpg

20180203-DSCF1033 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

• Like 12

I went out shooting into the morning sunlight a couple of weeks ago with my 28 cron.  Not as stellar as the 28 summaron shooting directly into the sunlight.  But it does give an interesting "signature" on the image (i.e., the circle and line).

NYC

Portra 400 (+1)

M-A, 28 cron

attachicon.gifshadow mania.jpg

This is again very nice, Adam. I love these extreme contre jour photos. 

About the mystery smoke... I'm intrigued. I recall another of your photos where there's someone (not in the frame) blowing smoke. 

• Like 1

This is again very nice, Adam. I love these extreme contre jour photos. 

About the mystery smoke... I'm intrigued. I recall another of your photos where there's someone (not in the frame) blowing smoke. 

Thanks very much!  Yes, it was about -12C that morning and this person was smoking and as he exhaled he let out a fair amount of steam in addition to the smoke.  Prime material for my "New Yorkers Anonymous" series :)

• Like 1

Myanmar Railways at Pyin Oo Lwin Station, Shan State, Myanmar.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Ilford HP5

• Like 14

Great shot Adam. And well done for getting the blue in the sky looking so blue. 

I went out shooting into the morning sunlight a couple of weeks ago with my 28 cron.  Not as stellar as the 28 summaron shooting directly into the sunlight.  But it does give an interesting "signature" on the image (i.e., the circle and line).

NYC

Portra 400 (+1)

M-A, 28 cron

attachicon.gifshadow mania.jpg

Haha, you could beam it here perhaps? Those are capable wheels.

I have plenty to spare, and if it were transferrable, you should have mine. However, you might need one of these:

26191913938_ee326eb46f_c.jpg

Goodyear by chrism229, on Flickr

645n, 120/4, XP2 @400, Ilfotec HC, X1 scan.

C.

• Like 2

Thanks, Philip.  Yes, I suppose the summicron can be largely credited for retaining the highlight detail and colors.  And then of course this is the great thing about film :) 

Great shot Adam. And well done for getting the blue in the sky looking so blue. 

Wow, this is a really good one, Philip.  It puts you right there.  Really great earth color palette and the contrast level is just right.

Speaking of snow and ice, here are another couple of rocks that the inland ice sheet dragged to this location north of Stockholm a very long time ago.

Flickr

80 Ektar

• Like 1