I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

All very nice.  We should get together sometime :)

It's been awhile since I've had the time to get out and shoot some film, but I finally put a couple of rolls through the M7 this past week.

M7 + Nokton 50/1.5 + Provia 100. "Scanned" with an A7ii + Tamron SP 90mm Macro and lightbox.

Manhattan Bridge emergency call box

Chinatown, NY kitchenware market.

Chinatown, NY Pigeon meeting.

Great portrait.  Love the colors.  Hope you post more here!

MP, 35 Summicron, Porta 160

attachicon.gifscooter.jpg

I like the colours in this film image. Thought the film was Ektar but my records (and the negs) indicate Porta.

Hoping to go out with my first roll of Cinestill 50 today.

Thanks, Edward :)

Excellent, Adam!

Many thanks, Peter.  No flash on this one.  It was about 2pm and I was using the low barreling sun as my natural "flash" :)

Such a great use of flash. Also like how your superimposed shadow adds to the dramatic vibe.

–Peter.

These are fantastic, Edward  You are getting great colors from this film.  I have been through one roll here and am scanning them now.  They look promising.  I hear they are discontinuing it in March.  Are you hearing the same?

Very good photo.  That dog is very intriguing.  Looks like it is in attack mode.

Watching over Ayutthaya Station

attachicon.gifAyutthaya Railway Station 1.jpg

T-Max 400

Very good, Patrick.  Love the mood.

Was waking home last night. 

Leica M7, 50cron. 

AgfaVista200. 

"Midnight cowboy"

He looked alone and sort of tired. Big travel bag next to him on the table. 

Eating fast yet slow. 

• Like 4

Walking to the other side of bridge to pretend I was Adam, and take photos of Cincinnati. Came across young pair taking some digital portraits on bridge. Walked by. Turned around and asked if she would be interested in an attempt, on my part, to photograph her with some old Russian B&W film. Told I would Email the results.

attachicon.gifimg417 (1).JPG

IIIA, VC 28mm 3.5 LTM, Svema FN-32

It's a bomb.  She will LOVE it.

I will also say that the bridge you were on was designed by the same engineer who designed my Brooklyn Bridge (although his wife finished it :) )

Edited by A miller
  • Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"No comment"  :)

NYC

Portra 400

M7, 28 elmarit pre-asph

attachicon.gifno comment.jpg

Adam - one of your very, very best - perhaps even your magnum opus. The lone human character, shielding her(?)self from - well, we can assume it's the blizzard, but it could just as likely be from human contact. And again, look to the background for reasons why this works so well - "9/11 Isn't Over" (certainly hope that's wrong!); the black - not just in the anonymous person's attire/bags/gloves/umbrella but also the ominous cars like hearses; the trickle of red like blood at the top right - and so much more - placement, motion, you name it.

A pre-post-apocalyptic masterpiece.

• Like 7

Adam,

We've seen you perform your magic with all sorts of colour film - do you do any B&W film work?

C.

I am scanning a roll of HP5 tonight that will have a couple to share.  I shot a roll of B&W film during my walk with Mike last month.  But for 35mm stuff it is really rare for me to shoot B&W.  I am not really drawn to form that much in the street and am much more drawn to colors and the humanity in the subjects.   If my lovely wife would allow me to develop myself I would probably do more of it so that I can take advantage of the entire creative aspect of the process (as you do so well) that I am currently not able to partake in.

• Like 3

Adam - one of your very, very best - perhaps even your magnum opus. The lone human character, shielding her(?)self from - well, we can assume it's the blizzard, but it could just as likely be from human contact. And again, look to the background for reasons why this works so well - "9/11 Isn't Over" (certainly hope that's wrong!); the black - not just in the anonymous person's attire/bags/gloves/umbrella but also the ominous cars like hearses; the trickle of red like blood at the top right - and so much more - placement, motion, you name it.

A pre-post-apocalyptic masterpiece.

Sincere thanks, Phil.  It is from the "f$cking light leaked second roll" and that's what the red streaks are from.  For a split second I actually had her face visible and she was sooooo classic NY old lady looking; and then just as I clicked she ducked under her umbrella.  I was kicking myself for taking that second to compose.  I really appreciate your feedback.  

Edited by A miller
  • Like 3

Neither the light leaks nor the fact that she obscured her presence detract at all from this image Adam - in fact, if anything, they are fortuitous. Plus, presumably, when her face was visible, the background would have been at a different perspective, and the cars/sign might not have been there at all. As it is, you have most certainly caught (clichéd phrase warning) "the decisive moment".

• Like 4

Walking to the other side of bridge to pretend I was Adam, and take photos of Cincinnati. Came across young pair taking some digital portraits on bridge. Walked by. Turned around and asked if she would be interested in an attempt, on my part, to photograph her with some old Russian B&W film. Told I would Email the results.

This is a superb portrait, Wayne. The bridge, her wonderful coat and lovely tumbling hair, and the inscrutable expression she presents us with add up to a wonderful picture. It will be interesting to hear what she has to say if she responds once you've sent her a copy (and I think she will) - please share with us if you're so inclined.

• Like 5

Neither the light leaks nor the fact that she obscured her presence detract at all from this image Adam - in fact, if anything, they are fortuitous. Plus, presumably, when her face was visible, the background would have been at a different perspective, and the cars/sign might not have been there at all. As it is, you have most certainly caught (clichéd phrase warning) "the decisive moment".

If that's the case, then I got super lucky. :)  Thanks again :)

• Like 2

If that's the case, then I got super lucky. :)  Thanks again :)

From quoteinvestigator.com:

In an interview in Golf Digest magazine in 2002 Gary Player presents an entertaining story about the origin of the expression:

I was practicing in a bunker down in Texas and this good old boy with a big hat stopped to watch. The first shot he saw me hit went in the hole. He said, “You got 50 bucks if you knock the next one in.” I holed the next one. Then he says, “You got $100 if you hole the next one.” In it went for three in a row. As he peeled off the bills he said, “Boy, I’ve never seen anyone so lucky in my life.” And I shot back, “Well, the harder I practice, the luckier I get.”

• Like 6

From quoteinvestigator.com:

In an interview in Golf Digest magazine in 2002 Gary Player presents an entertaining story about the origin of the expression:

I was practicing in a bunker down in Texas and this good old boy with a big hat stopped to watch. The first shot he saw me hit went in the hole. He said, “You got 50 bucks if you knock the next one in.” I holed the next one. Then he says, “You got $100 if you hole the next one.” In it went for three in a row. As he peeled off the bills he said, “Boy, I’ve never seen anyone so lucky in my life.” And I shot back, “Well, the harder I practice, the luckier I get.”

That's very funny.  Made me laugh out loud!

• Like 2

Very nice, she'll love it!

I took some photos on the same bridge a few years ago, digital and non Leica though, it does make a nice backdrop.

These are fantastic, Edward  You are getting great colors from this film.  I have been through one roll here and am scanning them now.  They look promising.  I hear they are discontinuing it in March.  Are you hearing the same?

Thank you very much Adam! Indeed, it has been officially discontinued. What a pity, I really like it. Curiously the 2 rolls I shot while traveling are very grainy, which I suspect is caused by the multiple x-rays they went through. This roll turned out to be quite fine and the grain is barely noticeable.

• Like 1