I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Playing out another session of patience, looking out over the Mekong plain at Champasak, Laos. This is from Vat Phou, an 11th century Khmer temple; earlier Hindu and later Buddhist – now a UNESCO heritage site.

attachicon.gifVat Phou9.jpg

T-Max 400

This is a spectacular photograph. Not just a great landscape scene, but a real moment in time.

Best,

Wayne

• Like 2

Here are a couple with Tri-X shot at 800 and developed at 1250 in Xtol (at my lab :) )

NYC

M3, 50 DR cron

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by A miller
  • Like 15

another...I love to look back on the "struggle" :)

• Like 18

Love it!!!

• Like 16

:)

• Like 13

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's another from my 4am trek to Central Park a few weeks ago...

I didn't have a meter, and my iPhone died so had to count out loud, so I don't recall the exact exposure time.  But I do recall that I was pretty miserable in the -15C temperature kicking myself for not bringing enough clothing layers  :(  I think the exposure time was between 8--10 minutes; some of the ducks have more patience than I will ever have.

Acros 100, SWC

attachicon.gifCentral Park morning.jpg

Amazing shot Adam - absolutely admire your tenacity and commitment in pursuit of your passion.

• Like 1

Adam, The new set of photos of NYC street scene are awesome - once again showcasing your ability to capture peak action in a street scene.

Thanks.  These B&Ws are from a couple of years ago.  I have recently recovered a few hundred scans that I had (thought I) lost. :)  It is so fun to look back fresh at stuff :)

Edited by A miller
  • Like 1

Here's another set of Cinestill 800T with the same camera setup, M-A + 35 FLE

39738025542_4723e389a0_b.jpgCINE_800T_1_18_83.jpg by Abram Goglanian, on Flickr

39738024832_091e60bb96_b.jpgCINE_800T_1_18_94.jpg by Abram Goglanian, on Flickr

38870863465_f22dda4a86_b.jpgCINE_800T_1_18_53.jpg by Abram Goglanian, on Flickr

39738017242_1572a97e87_b.jpgCINE_800T_1_18_40.jpg by Abram Goglanian, on Flickr

39769851241_d0ae00e7b5_b.jpgCINE_800T_1_18_92.jpg by Abram Goglanian, on Flickr

25897671708_ecf8311454_b.jpgCINE_800T_1_18_96.jpg by Abram Goglanian, on Flickr

27991088289_8869a5a745_b.jpgCINE_800T_1_18_65.jpg by Abram Goglanian, on Flickr

27991085549_fb6b67f9ae_b.jpgCINE_800T_1_18_51.jpg by Abram Goglanian, on Flickr

• Like 12

• Like 14

Guest Nowhereman

Steve - Presumably the scan has adjustments from the settings in the scanner software. Is the camera digitalization SOOC? It would be good to see the best image from both with your post-processing.

I'm reposting the following for opinion. I remember Doc Henry pointing out that the Plustek version seemed truncated in the 36mm dimension, so for comparison here is the BEOON version (with the original for comparison).

Gateway to the IoM by -Steve Ricoh-

Gate way to the IoM (reprocessed) by -Steve Ricoh-

Both look good to me Steve, but the lower one seems to have a fair bit extra contrast with maybe blown highlights that might make any further processing more difficult.

• Like 1

During my holidays in France last August I managed, somewhat incredibly, to get permission from the powers that be to get half a day for myself to shoot castles on the south bank of the Gironde. Unfortunately I was limited to one particular day so couldn't pick one with better weather, hence the boring skies in this and the pictures that follow. 

This is Château Pichon Longueville Baron, which is in the Pauillac appellation. I shot this with the 40 Distagon CFE which I shifted using the 1.4x PC Mutar.

Flickr

Ektar 100

This (and the one following) is superb, Philip. What dream access to have it all to yourself! Looks like you've been able to make the absolute most of that access, given the conditions - that must seem incredibly satisfying (it should!).

Not to be presumptuous, but given some recent commentary on Cinestill film, I thought some commentary on this photo may be appropriate. It was take with Cinestill 800. I was able to use my M3 and Summarit 50mm 1.5 lens without flash. I selected the Summarit because I thought the speed of the lens would be needed. I was wrong. I was able to shoot the entire evening at between 4 and 5.8, with shutter speed of 250. It would seem the Cinestill 800 is a good choice if you are shooting a well lighted, indoor event. The photograph is a JPEG and was actually adjusted down about a half stop in post. The Tiff file is much sharper.

The team in white is the Milan Indians. They are the legacy of the team featured in the movie "Hoosiers." It is so easy to get wrapped up in the glitz and glamor of professional sports, but it is at the high school level that I derive the most enjoyment from spectating. It was a great evening. I am somewhat familiar with number 52, in red, as I officiated some high school football games in which he participated. He is 15 years old, 6'6" and about 240 lbs. A spectacular young man. But, the greatest memory of the evening will be connected with the young fellow shooting the free throw. In casual movement, he was the epitome of youthful awkwardness, but in athletic movement, he was a spectacular example of skill and coordination......Made me forget about the manifest troubles in the world and take joy in the gift of youth, again. 

If you have not done it recently, go see a school athletic event. It is good for the soul.....And the kids can always use the support.

attachicon.gifimg330.jpg

M3, 50mm 1.5 Summarit, Cinestill 800

Wayne, the picture and the story are just wonderful - and either would be so without the other, but of course together it is even more so. I guess the difference between professional sportspeople and amateurs is that amateurs are (literally) there for the love of it. I wonder if that love sometimes becomes a little less so when you turn "pro" and have to do it 24/7. The same question could of course be asked in relation to professional and amateur photographers (or anything else).