I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is fabulous, Edward.  My kind of colors!

Ha ha, Ian.  The first does look a little too wonky for my taste but the second is very nice.  I like how the yellow flowers draw the eyes from the foreground all the way throughout the image to the background.

A wonky horizon for Adam from last spring (actually I don't think it is as wonky as it looks, it is a canal bank that is angling away from where I was stood). Portra 400.

More Meadow buttercups.

Thanks, Ramesh.  I use the SF-24D.  It is crude and I have been considering whether I should buy the SF40, but I think that I am going to be able to fight off the GAS :)

Great capture of street life Adam. Thanks for sharing. What flash do you use with your M7?

Cheers,

Ramesh

• Like 1

This one threatened to sue.... I love the people blowing around in the background :)

Btw, this is from my "second roll" that got stuck in my camera and had to be surgically removed, and suffered a light leak from some whack-job who didn't know what he was doing.  No matter :)

Portra 400, M7, 28 

attachicon.gifNYC by Adam Miller.jpg

Adam that is a wonderful shot. A lot of the pictures we've been seeing, this one very much included, illustrate just how important what's happening in the BACKground is to the overall success and feel of the picture. The people blowing around, as you say, and the lights exacerbating the crazed feel we get from her expression. Personally I don't find the presence of light leaks diminish the image at all - in fact, they add another layer of understanding in a way - "this is film - sometimes shite happens but the strength of the image wins in the end".

She threatened to sue? Seriously? I hope you were able to point her towards a good lawyer?

• Like 4

This one threatened to sue

And that's why I gave up on Street Photography. I got a lot of grief from people who didn't want their photos taken and it grew tiring. I focus on Urban Landscape Photography now. As a friend of mine says, at least you never have to worry about an Urban Landscape chasing you down the street :)

• Like 3

Thanks, Phil.  Totally agree about the background.    And yes, she, like others, felt that I was violating her rights.  Pathetic am I?  On one level, yes?  But on the other hand deep down I think that if I could have shown her my grand collection of many years of beautiful and unique NYC snow blizzard photos she just may have felt honored to have made the cut :)

Adam that is a wonderful shot. A lot of the pictures we've been seeing, this one very much included, illustrate just how important what's happening in the BACKground is to the overall success and feel of the picture. The people blowing around, as you say, and the lights exacerbating the crazed feel we get from her expression. Personally I don't find the presence of light leaks diminish the image at all - in fact, they add another layer of understanding in a way - "this is film - sometimes shite happens but the strength of the image wins in the end".

She threatened to sue? Seriously? I hope you were able to point her towards a good lawyer?

Ha, ha, I am threatened with lawsuits all the time.  My law degree helps me stay grounded, as does the leftover muscle and girth from my college football days... :)

And that's why I gave up on Street Photography. I got a lot of grief from people who didn't want their photos taken and it grew tiring. I focus on Urban Landscape Photography now. As a friend of mine says, at least you never have to worry about an Urban Landscape chasing you down the street :)

• Like 2

Yes, I wonder if the worst thing we could say to someone who threatens you or gives you grief like logan2z stated is that "your photo is unlikely to be worth adding to my portfolio anyway". And, logan, I've been there and I'm sure we all have when we've photographed out on the streets. For some reason I've found over the last couple of years that no-one has given me any grief, whereas for a while there everytime I even looked like I might raise my camera people started getting hysterical. Strange. It is certainly, as you say, extremely tiring - and worse. We do not inappropriately transform into baddies or paedophiles or perverts or creeps or whatever because we choose to take pictures on the streets. Yet, as Adam's picture and his (and others') collections well illustrate, the value of having these moments caught on the street is incalculable.

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I was in the Wadi Rum area, I also took some pictures at sunrise, but only digital, so I can‘t show them here:)

I'm pretty sure! The skies at dawn are amazing. In my entire life I woke up so early only 3-4 times, and this time was worth it :)

• Like 1

This one threatened to sue.... I love the people blowing around in the background :)

Btw, this is from my "second roll" that got stuck in my camera and had to be surgically removed, and suffered a light leak from some whack-job who didn't know what he was doing.  No matter :)

Portra 400, M7, 28 

Very nice, Adam! Great facial expression :)

• Like 1

A wonky horizon for Adam from last spring (actually I don't think it is as wonky as it looks, it is a canal bank that is angling away from where I was stood). Portra 400.

26024336908_62ff9319cf_b.jpg

More Meadow buttercups.

39186853814_f311842c6e_b.jpg

Your nature photos are always awesome, Ian.

• Like 4

This is bloody great, Wayne. Love the action.

Indiana high school basketball.

attachicon.gifimg333.jpg

M3, 50mm 1.5 Summarit, Cinestill 800

Mitch, with respect and if I may be honest based on your latest posts, I don't think this thread is for you. It seems you are expecting other things from the thread than the rest of us who regularly contribute, and have done so for the past 4,5 years. 

I also take exception in the strongest terms to your characterisation of this thread, and presumably by extension those of us who participate in it, as "chauvinist". I am not a film chauvinist, and I actually challenge you to call me that to my face were we to meet. I just like film, it's that simple.

In my humble opinion, this is not the place to discuss the merits of film vs the merits of digital and most definitely not the place to try to persuade us film lovers that digital is better. There have been a few attempts over the years to do this, each time with very sad results and hurt feelings. It is a strength of the thread that it has lived on, such unfortunate and malicious events notwithstanding. I personally do not care at all about film vs digital discussions and like this thread because it is free of such. 

This thread is, simply, a place to share and enjoy film-based photography and, if one wants or if it is asked for, give fruitful constructive feedback regarding topics related to film. I, for one, have learnt heaps here about photographic techniques and processes, framing and composition and post-processing; probably more than I have in other places on the internet.

The strength of this thread is the friendliness and courteousness that those actively participating show each other. It is this which enables us to ask for help from people who were it not for our joint love of film would only be complete strangers. I have benefited many times from this from several thread participants, and have also had the pleasure of meeting several of them, for which I am extremely grateful.

I'm reminded of the first words written by Henry when he opened the thread and it may be worth to revisit them:

I would like to open this thread to share with you and collect pictures of those who still practice the film and who share my point of view  :)

Thank you to post what you want in this thread ..... we are in the "other" section. So the success of this thread depends on youotherwise it will be forgotten

I wholeheartedly share Henry's view which is why I participate here almost to the exclusion of other parts of LUF. This is why people post in this thread and if that is something you can agree with then I look forward to seeing your film photography here. The success of this thread depends on the participants embracing this view.

Regards,

Philip Dygeus

I took the shot below a few minutes before walking up to the tree and taking the shot in post #46223. Also taken with the M3/Summron-M 28mm lens on Portra 400, it's somewhat different in color than the latter shot because the light was different, but it's somewhat more like some images I had taken 15 minutes earlier with the M10, which I discussed in a post I started with the title, Film vs Digital: Look to Cinematography for Clues.

M3 | Portra 400 | Summaron-M f/5.6 28mm | f/8 | 1/500 sec

38985374885_f86a5cd24e_o.jpg

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Nowhereman Instagram

Wonderful Pete. This film has the ability to turn almost everything into an impressionist piece of art.

A different perspective on the London Eye taken during Lumiere London, the festival of light installations.

ADOX Color Implosion with M3 and 1947 Carl Zeiss Jena 50/2 Sonnar, lab developed.

attachicon.gifLondon Eye Adox.jpg

Wow Edward. The colour are really sublime and the silhouette quite striking.

This is probably my favourite of the last several ones you've posted. Have you changed something in terms of how you shoot? I'm asking because of the smearing in the background, which I really like. Is there a second curtain sync or something going on? 

Portra 400, M7, 28 

• Like 8

Portra 400, M7, 28 

This one makes me think of being in the fifth grade, in Texas. My teacher looked exactly like this, and this was exactly the look she would give when something was displeasing to her.....Sort of a gaze upon something she viewed as pathetic, followed by a threat to send us to the principal for swats, corporal punishment being a part of that long gone universe. Not an  indictment of you, but, generally, I had it coming. :)

• Like 4

Dirt Track.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Zenit 1, MIR 37mm 2.8, Svema FN-32

• Like 17

Are any other film users ("filmo's"? "filmsters"?) considering submitting work for inclusion in the LUF Charity Book 2018? Not only is it in aid of a wonderful charity that in one way or another will benefit us all (World Cancer Research Fund) but it is an opportunity to showcase our best work alongside the best of the truly talented photographers on this forum. And be published! And maybe exhibited at the Leica Store in Manchester! I have submitted my pictures and would hope that pictures on film will end up making a sizeable contribution to the end product. Plus of course, the more of us that enter, means the more that goes towards cancer research - it's giving in a way that is a win-win situation.

So, if you are thinking about it, I urge you to get some pictures together and submit them if you haven't already: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/279905-leica-user-forum-charity-book-2018-the-instructions/

Thanks for the support Phil.

Much appreciated.

• Like 1

When you are there at the wrong time of the day, I guess you take home what you can.... :-)

Wanaka, New Zealand

Hasselblad, 50mm FLE, Fujifilm 160C (The expired film keeps giving...)

Regards,

Ramesh

Edited by Ramesh
  • Like 14

During my holidays in France last August I managed, somewhat incredibly, to get permission from the powers that be to get half a day for myself to shoot castles on the south bank of the Gironde. Unfortunately I was limited to one particular day so couldn't pick one with better weather, hence the boring skies in this and the pictures that follow. 

This is Château Pichon Longueville Baron, which is in the Pauillac appellation. I shot this with the 40 Distagon CFE which I shifted using the 1.4x PC Mutar.

38995547585_b74368f37f_b.jpg

Flickr

Ektar 100

Lovely image. Thanks for sharing...

• Like 1

Not to be presumptuous, but given some recent commentary on Cinestill film, I thought some commentary on this photo may be appropriate. It was take with Cinestill 800. I was able to use my M3 and Summarit 50mm 1.5 lens without flash. I selected the Summarit because I thought the speed of the lens would be needed. I was wrong. I was able to shoot the entire evening at between 4 and 5.8, with shutter speed of 250. It would seem the Cinestill 800 is a good choice if you are shooting a well lighted, indoor event. The photograph is a JPEG and was actually adjusted down about a half stop in post. The Tiff file is much sharper.

The team in white is the Milan Indians. They are the legacy of the team featured in the movie "Hoosiers." It is so easy to get wrapped up in the glitz and glamor of professional sports, but it is at the high school level that I derive the most enjoyment from spectating. It was a great evening. I am somewhat familiar with number 52, in red, as I officiated some high school football games in which he participated. He is 15 years old, 6'6" and about 240 lbs. A spectacular young man. But, the greatest memory of the evening will be connected with the young fellow shooting the free throw. In casual movement, he was the epitome of youthful awkwardness, but in athletic movement, he was a spectacular example of skill and coordination......Made me forget about the manifest troubles in the world and take joy in the gift of youth, again. 

If you have not done it recently, go see a school athletic event. It is good for the soul.....And the kids can always use the support.

M3, 50mm 1.5 Summarit, Cinestill 800

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 12

Thanks, Philip.  I don't think I changed anything. My results with this stuff are always random, for good or bad :)

This is probably my favourite of the last several ones you've posted. Have you changed something in terms of how you shoot? I'm asking because of the smearing in the background, which I really like. Is there a second curtain sync or something going on? 

This is very lovely.  You've nailed the reflection and the symmetry.  Great colors, too!

During my holidays in France last August I managed, somewhat incredibly, to get permission from the powers that be to get half a day for myself to shoot castles on the south bank of the Gironde. Unfortunately I was limited to one particular day so couldn't pick one with better weather, hence the boring skies in this and the pictures that follow. 

This is Château Pichon Longueville Baron, which is in the Pauillac appellation. I shot this with the 40 Distagon CFE which I shifted using the 1.4x PC Mutar.

Flickr

Ektar 100

Ha, ha, very funny, Wayne.  We are more a like than you think as I have had my fair share of swats from principals and vice principals in Texas public schools throughout my youth.  It's better than after-school detention!! :)

This one makes me think of being in the fifth grade, in Texas. My teacher looked exactly like this, and this was exactly the look she would give when something was displeasing to her.....Sort of a gaze upon something she viewed as pathetic, followed by a threat to send us to the principal for swats, corporal punishment being a part of that long gone universe. Not an  indictment of you, but, generally, I had it coming. :)

• Like 3