I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another from my walk with Adam, he had a long chat with this security guard in the Oculus about the legality of using a tripod within that edifice. I have had the same conversation with multiple security guards and police officers in various places over the years, with varying success. :)

M2, 50mm Summicron DR, T-Max 400.

attachicon.gifSheet076_006.jpg

Hey, that security guard looks to be an interesting bloke - love the shot.  Ask him to sit for a a portrait session.

• Like 2

Today I received a copy of Constantine Manos' superb "Greek Portfolio". What a stunning book - this really contains a wealth of brilliant 35mm black and white images. Highly recommended. Unfortunately (for me) the text of the copy I bought from Abe's is in Greek!

Anyway it prompted me to look through my negative files and scan a picture I've been meaning to take a closer look at for the last 30 years. I distinctly remember thinking the buildings were worth a shot (that was the previous shot on the roll) and then I heard "Clop clop clop" and decided to wait and try to get a picture of whatever was making that noise as soon as it came into view:

p2705870959-5.jpg

Thira (Santorini), Greece 1987

Canon F1, FDn 35mm f2, Ilford FP4

Lovely Phil, this is a beautiful composition (and thank you for your earlier comments - yes, I am the lucky bloke - she is my wife - an accomplished actress and opera singer as well as a mother - she is the subject of the recent Breast Cancer Clinic publicity shots, including the dog jumping on the beach - they wanted a 'mature model' - she fitted the bill, and was sympathetic to the project for several reasons ...). 

P.S. similar thing happened to me!  I ordered a 2nd hand copy of Dr Paul Wolff's  "My Experiences in Color Photography".  And it was wonderful, and all the text was in German (at school the only 'foreign' language on offer was Latin) and it didn't matter a bit - good work crosses language barriers.

Edited by kalkadan
  • Like 3

Henry - The fact that the water is "more black" in the EM5 digitalization and that the Plustek scan has more contrast doesn't mean that the latter scan is better. Generally, it's best to scan without applying scanner settings in order to get a low contrast scan which captures as much information as you can from the scanner. Then, in your photo editing software you adjust to get the gradation that you want — the same way that one uses a low contrast negative and prints with the contrast that one wants. Think also how people complained that the M240 produced a lower out-of-camera file than the M9 — but it was precisely because M240 had a larger dynamic image than the M9 that the M240 image OOC looked lower contrast. Generally, a camera like the EM5 should get more dynamic range than the Plustek, which has a dMax of only 3.6 — and, if I remember correctly, requires multi-sampling and takes 4-5 minutes per frame in order to achieve that dynamic range.

Nothing to do with the above, but I'll take this opportunity to post the two old pictures below: the nude was shot on Tri-X and the Greek statue on Agfa Scala — and both were scanned with the Imacon Precision III (dMax of 4.2 and 6,300 dpi. The pictures are "glued together" because this a layout for a book project of which I want to print a dummy in the 11x18 cm pocket-book format that was used in this Moriyama book, which is (interestingly( reviewed in a 9 minute "flip-through" here.

I agree with you.  Sounds similar to processing RAW files. 

I shoot a lot of Nikon RAW files in rotten light.  In Lightroom the 'Camera neutral' profile gives the longest tones.  A photographer can then do anything (almost) with that.

This is very nice. Looks like a painting.

Very enjoyable Dan. The Summitar is one of my favourite 50s. Which film did you use?

Philipus - I will go down into what I like to call 'the Bunker' and check that out.  Stand by ;-)

Edited by kalkadan
  • Like 1

...  strange thing here in LF , what happens to Neil ?

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/280443-leica-mm1-or-mm2-for-the-noctilux-095-only/?p=3436899

a guest now ?

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/280443-leica-mm1-or-mm2-for-the-noctilux-095-only/?p=3430555

someone knows the reason ?

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today I received a copy of Constantine Manos' superb "Greek Portfolio". What a stunning book - this really contains a wealth of brilliant 35mm black and white images. Highly recommended. Unfortunately (for me) the text of the copy I bought from Abe's is in Greek!

Anyway it prompted me to look through my negative files and scan a picture I've been meaning to take a closer look at for the last 30 years. I distinctly remember thinking the buildings were worth a shot (that was the previous shot on the roll) and then I heard "Clop clop clop" and decided to wait and try to get a picture of whatever was making that noise as soon as it came into view:

p2705870959-5.jpg

Thira (Santorini), Greece 1987

Canon F1, FDn 35mm f2, Ilford FP4

This picture is superb Phil , composition and b&w tone I see it's Ilford

Thanks for the comment.

The thing about the Industar lens that has me so mesmerized is its capacity to capture the tonal range of color. While my color vision is not perfect; but I am struck by how exactly the colors in the photograph are so like they appeared to me that day.

attachicon.gifimg007d-2.JPG

Same camera, lens, film

In fact, once Christoph attached his "Like" and I reviewed Christoph's latest, it comes to mind that it sort of reminds me of the Color Implosion, but without any of that film's color variance.

You are an artist Wayne

Leica IIIg

attachicon.gifmisc_085.jpg

Great variation of light and shadow Mr Nobs

Clarksdale, MS

attachicon.gifClarksdale_greyhound_1_small.jpg

attachicon.gifclarksdale_4_small.jpg

M2, VC Color Skopar 21, Kodak BW400

Sharif

Superb pictures in b&w with nice composition between light and shadow Sharif

Taken in an op. shop in the village of Hawes, Wensleydale - on the Pennine Way.  A pleasant, sunny interlude in days of mud, mountains and howling hail storms.  Strange as it may seem, we like being out in that kind of stuff.

M4-Summitar-scanned on the Epson V700

gallery_13484_5760_791901.jpg

Romantic picture Dan

I like the look of the man color is nice here Edward

Steve great composition in black and white

Leica M4 / 50cron / kentmere 100 pushed to 400 developed in d76

Gab. 

tumblr_p2akeid7UF1vjphu4o1_1280.jpg

Superb picture well done

Deborah 1995

M2, Summarit 50, TMax 400, Ls50

attachicon.gifDeborah.jpg

Lovely picture nicely done Cujoka

Slightly silly, I know, but it does look like someone threw away Kermit the Frog.

Flickr

50/1.4A Portra 160(80)

Your style with great and soft color Philip

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 5

one more picture of Paris a cloudy day , we are at 6 pm

When I saw the weather I told myself it'll be hard to shoot with this time

but I believe in TX and I am going anyway  .....

Kodak TX400-MP-50 Summilux Asph

Nikon Coolscan 5000

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Best

Henry

• Like 17

during summer this time

Canal Saint Martin

Paris

Kodak TX400-MP-50 Lux Asph

Best

Henry

• Like 17

one more picture of Paris a cloudy day , we are at 6 pm

When I saw the weather I told myself it'll be hard to shoot with this time

but I believe in TX and I am going anyway  .....

Kodak TX400-MP-50 Summilux Asph

Nikon Coolscan 5000

attachicon.gifImage8parisdec2017kodtxmplfrlhvn+++1000.jpg

Best

Henry

Yet another excellent image of the Eifel Tower. Thanks for posting.

Best,

Wayne

• Like 1

On Dec 23rd we went out for lunch at a seafood place in Savelletri. Amazing risotto alla marinara. The mixed fried seafood was good as well.

We traded the canonical white wine with a good beer from some local brewery. Salute.

M6, Summicron 35 asph, HP5

39614330691_04860a002e_b.jpg

20171224-DSCF0728 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

It looks like you are in trouble.................Or, something else. It is difficult to say. :) Excellent photo, at any rate.

Best,

Wayne

• Like 5

Landscape in Upper Austria. Leica III | Summar 2.0/5cm | Kodak TriX @3200

• Like 16

Casting. Amarapura, Myanmar

Ilford FP4

• Like 14

Home is where you hang your hat.

Ilford HP5

• Like 16

Spinning, Laos

Kodak Color Plus 200

• Like 11

I've sent him an e-mail through another forum he hangs out in. I'd hate to see him go permanently, the big lug.

• Like 3