I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

An outstanding shot by any standard, Phil.

Phil, 

I like your story, like your picture, together it says it all. And beaches are indeed wonderful places

for photographers - you have quite a few nice ones down there. The attached picture is from my

recent visit. A moment of tranquility, peace and yoga, before the crowds come in. 

attachicon.gif171211_1_MP_0019.jpg

MP, 35, Color Implosion, ns

Rgds

Christoph

Thank you sincerely, Edward and Christoph.

• Like 1

Cardinal, state bird.

OK, so I am going out to feed the birds, thought I might get a good shot of Ma Cardinal and grabbed the first camera that came to hand, Leica CL. Get outside to find it's Pa Cardinal.....Who is much more nervous than Ma. I just pointed and shot.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica CL, 40mm Summicron, Superia 400

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 17

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Cardinal II

Second shot, going away. Please forgive me if I am stepping a bit too far out. I love the red.

Leica CL, 40mm Summicron, Fuji Superia 400

• Like 17

Cardinal II

Second shot, going away. Please forgive me if I am stepping a bit too far out. I love the red.

attachicon.gifimg024g-2.JPG

Leica CL, 40mm Summicron, Fuji Superia 400

I love the colour too - and the effects in the first and the additional colour in the background of the second.  Never seen a cardinal, but can understand why they have that name - used to be an altar boy ;-)

• Like 1

While Adam is out of town I figured it's safe to post this photograph from our walk in Manhattan, he had no idea I was taking this.  :D

Leica M2, 50mm Summicron DR, Kodak Tri-X 400.

• Like 16

Another from my walk with Adam, he had a long chat with this security guard in the Oculus about the legality of using a tripod within that edifice. I have had the same conversation with multiple security guards and police officers in various places over the years, with varying success. :)

M2, 50mm Summicron DR, T-Max 400.

• Like 12

Last one for tonight, Chinatown with Adam, a butcher's shop.

M2, 50mm Summicron DR, T-Max 400.

• Like 14

While Adam is out of town I figured it's safe to post this photograph from our walk in Manhattan, he had no idea I was taking this. :D

Leica M2, 50mm Summicron DR, Kodak Tri-X 400.

Sheet073_031.jpg

Is that edible 120 film? :D

Very nice series from NY, Mike!

Edited by edwardkaraa
  • Like 5

Today I received a copy of Constantine Manos' superb "Greek Portfolio". What a stunning book - this really contains a wealth of brilliant 35mm black and white images. Highly recommended. Unfortunately (for me) the text of the copy I bought from Abe's is in Greek!

Anyway it prompted me to look through my negative files and scan a picture I've been meaning to take a closer look at for the last 30 years. I distinctly remember thinking the buildings were worth a shot (that was the previous shot on the roll) and then I heard "Clop clop clop" and decided to wait and try to get a picture of whatever was making that noise as soon as it came into view:

p2705870959-5.jpg

Thira (Santorini), Greece 1987

Canon F1, FDn 35mm f2, Ilford FP4

• Like 18

Guest Nowhereman

Pen F 40mm f/1.4, Tri-X

EM5 v Plustek Scan of a diptych. I'm not sure there's much of a difference. Thoughts?...

Steve thanks for this comparison

In Plustek scan you see 1-grain better 2-the black of water is more black I consider digital doesn't know what it's real black, may be during the conversion color Bayer filter by camera software in black and 3-thirdly the waves in foreground is sharper characteristic of digital camera ... the better way is print on paper and no digitalization at all like scan even with Plustek

You have also more contrast in Plustek scan and nuance is missing in digital Beoon , partly because of this lack of contrast...

Henry - The fact that the water is "more black" in the EM5 digitalization and that the Plustek scan has more contrast doesn't mean that the latter scan is better. Generally, it's best to scan without applying scanner settings in order to get a low contrast scan which captures as much information as you can from the scanner. Then, in your photo editing software you adjust to get the gradation that you want — the same way that one uses a low contrast negative and prints with the contrast that one wants. Think also how people complained that the M240 produced a lower out-of-camera file than the M9 — but it was precisely because M240 had a larger dynamic image than the M9 that the M240 image OOC looked lower contrast. Generally, a camera like the EM5 should get more dynamic range than the Plustek, which has a dMax of only 3.6 — and, if I remember correctly, requires multi-sampling and takes 4-5 minutes per frame in order to achieve that dynamic range.

Nothing to do with the above, but I'll take this opportunity to post the two old pictures below: the nude was shot on Tri-X and the Greek statue on Agfa Scala — and both were scanned with the Imacon Precision III (dMax of 4.2 and 6,300 dpi. The pictures are "glued together" because this a layout for a book project of which I want to print a dummy in the 11x18 cm pocket-book format that was used in this Moriyama book, which is (interestingly( reviewed in a 9 minute "flip-through" here.