I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Thanks, Suede.  A few years ago I serendipitously came to the realization that this lens shoots into the direct sunlight pretty well and when it does flare it produces artifacts that can be incorporated into the image.  I have since taken great pleasure in shooting directly into the barreling sunlight at very specific times in the early morning during the winter.  For example, during these 2-3 winter months, as the sun rises it starts to cross from north to south of Wall Street at approximately 7:40am and lasts for about 50 minutes before the street is once-again completely shaded.  The progression begins with barreling light across the south side of the street and then into the center of the street and then for about 10 minutes or so the entire street is illuminated and then for about 20 minutes the sidewalk on the north side of the street is illuminated.  I get a kick out of shooting up and down the street, into and in back of the sunlight, especially in these very cold winter months when people range from being awkwardly dressed to very fashionably dressed.  I push the Portra to get a pop in the highlights and darken the shadows (it gives me a head-start for some further Lightroom edits).   The result is a view that is pretty much how you would see it if you we looking directly into the sunlight; everything and everyone are silhouettes! This past week I grabbed a handful of Portra 160 instead of Portra 400 and didn't realize it until I shot my first roll and had to push it 1.5 stops.  It actually came out pretty good for this purpose!

I like this very much, Adam. Trademark* A miller contre jour rendition. I also remember others like this from you in the past; especially one where you caught the smoke from someone puffing on a cigarette in the sun's rays very nicely.

I would say that lens must be something to still be able to 'see' peripheral elements against such a strong light source. Can you please expand on '28 summaron' a little? It appears interesting...

Thanks, Edward! :)

That's a reall awesome shot, Adam!

Very solemn, Edward.    Do you have a family member or a friend laid to rest there?

World War II POW Cemetery in Kanchanaburi, Thailand.

Cracking shot, Edward.  I love these ;)

Sidewalk beauty salon, Chinatown.

Edited by A miller
  • Like 4

Thanks, Edward! :)

Very solemn, Edward.    Do you have a family member or a friend laid to rest there?

Cracking shot, Edward.  I love these ;)

Thanks Adam!!!

The cemetery is quite overwhelming. You can almost feel the presence of those soldiers who mostly died terribly while building the railway for the Japanese in atrocious conditions. Luckily I have no relatives buried there but I visit everytime I pass by Kanchanaburi. It's a good lesson in humility.

• Like 3

31st Street, New York City

Leica M2, Kodak TriX 400, Summilux 35mm f1.4 pre-aspherical

Very nice!! Love that Tri-X and those atmospherics!  A hearty welcome and hope you'll share more!  

Nikon F100, 50/1.4, HP5+@1.250 ASA, DD-X 1:4, V800

Pauli; available light

Very nice!  That cat looks to be about 3 inches tall :)

The same location, same camera, lens & film but a different cat  ;)

Lilly (Pauli in the background)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

Mirroring Edward's photos of the POW's cemetery in Kanchanaburi...

This is the Chungkai War Cemetery a few kilometres away on the other side of the river. 

I took this end-March 2017.

Kodak Color 200

• Like 8

Vegetable seller, Phetchaburi, Thailand

Agfa Vista 400

• Like 11

Oil lamps at the Shwedagon Pagoda, Yangon.

Ilford Pan 100

• Like 11

Haha, priceless, made me laugh. Plus thanks for educating me; I had never heard of a 'threading salon' before.

Now with a knock on the glass!  :)

Thanks Eoin. Some more action (same roll):

Ready set...

25249577128_40cbff9a41_b.jpg

Flickr

Go!

38234617005_10a3f7d8cc_b.jpg

Flickr

These are beautiful, Philip. The colours are wonderful. I particularly like the last shot, though, for capturing so many sets of people in so many states, ranging from conversations on the side of a sand dune, to contemplative, to out of control.

Very nice, beautiful shadows and terrific detail.

Chamonix C45-H1 4x5'', SA 65/5.6, FP4+, Microphen 1:3 , V800

Ramsau in Dec. 2017

Looks like a spare part to the Terminator :D

MP, 2/50, BW400CN

attachicon.gifmisc_066.jpg

Excellent shot Adam.

Wall Street, NYC (last week)

IIIg, 28 summaron

Portra 400

attachicon.gifwall st.jpg

Very nice and natural portrait, Peter. Well done.

The Winter Lion Portrait.

M3 (Canada) + 50 Summicron DR + Kodak Tri-X 400 (home-developed) + Plustek 8200i

―Peter.

the-winter-lion-portrait.jpg

This is by far my favourite image of the last several pages of this wonderful thread. Very welcome Jochem. I look forward to more.

br

Philip

31st Street, New York City

Leica M2, Kodak TriX 400, Summilux 35mm f1.4 pre-aspherical

• Like 6

Song and dance, Pyay, Myanmar

Ilford HP5

• Like 15

What I like so much about this thread are the wonderful images.  What I also like is the de facto demonstration that as of January 7, 2018, film still brings something to an image that digital cannot ― not even after having been Photoshoped, VSCOized, Silver Efexized, or whatever-simulationized.

―Peter.

Edited by Prosophos
  • Like 11

What I like so much about this thread are the wonderful images.  What I also like is the de facto demonstration that as of January 7, 2018, film still brings something to an image that digital cannot not even after having been Photoshoped, VSCOized, Silver Efexized, or whatever-simulationized.

―Peter.

Absolutely agree with Peter .. wonderful images and a great pleasure to watch 

... a nice beginning of 2018 in film

Happy New Year All and thanks for your remarkable and spendid contribution

It's magic 

Best

Henry

I have less time now since I teach in the Faculty , a lot of work preparation for students  at 6th medecine year

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 4