I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Brighton Pier.  

Adox Colour Implosion ISO 100 with M3 and 1947 Carl Zeiss Jena 50/2 Sonnar.  (Processed as C-41 in a commercial lab.)

Colour Implosion is an 'experimental' film made by Adox that has been deliberately treated so that the colour coupling system collapses giving unusual colours and coarse grain.  I used the CZJ Sonnar lens because it flares wildly against the light, which I felt might add an interesting twist.

attachicon.gifBrighton Pier Colour Implosion.jpg

Pete - great to see you over here with the rest of us film dinosaurs!

What I absolutely love about this picture is the thought process that went into its success. The Adox is a superb film handled appropriately - we have seen many examples on this thread. To think about the appropriate use of its properties, mating it with a particular lens to achieve a certain effect - a certain look or aesthetic - this has made a great photograph.

I'm sure we all look forward to seeing more of your film work here!

• Like 3

mp, 35asph, kodak bw400cn

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M7, Biogon 21mm, XP2

• Like 16

M4 - Summicron 50 - Xp2 - not sure if I used the VCII or took an incident reading with the old Sekonic L248 (still working on its mercury battery!) before rehearsal started - probably was incident.

P.S.  just checked - the battery in the Sekonic is a PX-13 - that's mercury isn't it?  if it is, this can't go on forever - anyone using one of the substitutes and can recommend it?

tks.

gallery_13484_5760_425888.jpg

Weincell MRB625 works pretty well. Do not expect the same life out of that battery, though.

Best. Wayne

• Like 4

Pete - great to see you over here with the rest of us film dinosaurs!

What I absolutely love about this picture is the thought process that went into its success. The Adox is a superb film handled appropriately - we have seen many examples on this thread. To think about the appropriate use of its properties, mating it with a particular lens to achieve a certain effect - a certain look or aesthetic - this has made a great photograph.

I'm sure we all look forward to seeing more of your film work here!

Thank you for your kind observations, Phil, it's very rewarding when an idea comes off.

My thanks in particular to Christoph_d for giving me the roll of Colour Implosion at a forum meet in s'Hertogenbosch in the Netherlands last year.  My picture pales into insignificance in comparison with the magnificent pictures Christoph has taken with Colour Implosion though.

It's such a shame that the film is no longer available.

Pete.

Pete. 

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Falling to the Right.

Adox Colour Implosion ISO 100. with M3 and Voigtländer 15/4.5 Super-side Heliar in LTM.  Lab-processed as C-41.

I chose the ultra-wide lens to provide the geometrical distortion to emphasise the telephone boxes falling to the right.  The bicycles and tree also leaning to the right was an added bonus as were the people walking to the right.  This picture won't be to everyone's tastes I feel sure but it offers something a little away from the norm.

Pete.

• Like 18

Falling to the Right.

Adox Colour Implosion ISO 100. with M3 and Voigtländer 15/4.5 Super-side Heliar in LTM.  Lab-processed as C-41.

I chose the ultra-wide lens to provide the geometrical distortion to emphasise the telephone boxes falling to the right.  The bicycles and tree also leaning to the right was an added bonus as were the people walking to the right.  This picture won't be to everyone's tastes I feel sure but it offers something a little away from the norm.

Pete.

attachicon.gifFalling to the right.jpg

Pete,

You are right... :)

Nice to see you using this film in such a nice and thoughtful way!

Rgds

Christoph

• Like 2

Wow, she is as glamorous now as she was then.  Lucky you and beautiful photos!

Now - 2015 - 4 children, 6 grandchildren (soon to be 7!!) and always trekking

M4 - Summitar (the 1948 version)

Thanks, I hope to find some good additions to my collection this season if my cameras cooperate :)

Adam - this is gobsmackingly Good!

Very nice photos.  This one is particularly interesting as I found my head tilting to the left as I looked throughout the scene at all the angles and levels.  

Along Day Road, Morgan Hill, CA

Leica M-A, Summarit 35mm/2.4 ASPH, Tri-X 400

Thanks, Henry :)

Beautiful Adam , well done and at the right moment in the Henri Cartier Bresson manner

Awesome.  Love it.

mp, 35asph, kodak bw400cn

Wow, love this, too.  And I don't even know what it is!  Great film for this high contrast abstract, for sure.

M7, Biogon 21mm, XP2

This is very good, Pete.  I think the blue in the building and the reds help make this sing.

You won't find any lack of appreciation for this film stock on this thread.  Unlike the rest of the forum where you come across folks stuck in the sterile, flat-censored digital age - sorry, I try not to disparage but really didn't care for the comment this person made here:

"Nice pictures, but I don't like at all the color-grain rendition. I wonder why one should use a Leica and a Summilux 35 FLE to achieve pictures worst than those of any cellular phone around"

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/280237-reportage-from-wall-street/

Btw, I am planning to be in Canary Wharf this coming Monday-Wednesday and could bring an extra 10 rolls of the Adox color implosion for you if you would like and be able to come out to the Wharf and pick up...

Thank you for your kind observations, Phil, it's very rewarding when an idea comes off.

My thanks in particular to Christoph_d for giving me the roll of Colour Implosion at a forum meet in s'Hertogenbosch in the Netherlands last year.  My picture pales into insignificance in comparison with the magnificent pictures Christoph has taken with Colour Implosion though.

It's such a shame that the film is no longer available.

Pete.

Pete. 

• Like 5

Wow, love this, too.  And I don't even know what it is!  Great film for this high contrast abstract, for sure.

Hello Adam

Thanks for your feedback. It is a recording from the train compartment and opposite moves the counter train. Photographed freehand!
  • Like 1

Dan - these are both superb portraits. Testament to the value of photographs - then and now - and the things that change while remaining faithful to their essence.

Phil - your work in b&w on your website puts most of us in the shade - well, you know what I mean. Your images from frontera in Spain particularly caught my eye, but there is so much else to choose from.  

Since writing that i have kept clicking through - loughrigg, portugal, the dordogne, cumbria, and victoria Sth Yarra (especially Grace) the list goes on.  You have a unique eye.  There is something coherent and insightful about your images that I find quite rare.  And it makes me feel like an amateur snapshooter. 

Thank you for commenting on my domestic shots.  My excuse is that she is one of the finest people I have met.

• Like 2

Last summer I spent some time near the amazing sand dune Dune de Pilat in southern France and had the opportunity to visit a few times. It's Europe's tallest sand dune, currently approx. 110m tall and 2,7km long. Since I'm perpetually behind on my scanning I've so far only processed my 35mm photos. Here's a sunset photo looking south. Actually if one turns to the right at this spot one will look across the water and towards the Plage de la Pointe where I shot the Atlantikwall graffiti photos posted earlier.

24283179197_25784e1063_b.jpg

Flickr

50/1.4A Velvia 100

Beautiful, Philip. Has a feel of the air cooling down after a hot day.

• Like 2

This was taken on the M4 with the 35mm Summaron LTM - I read glowing reports of this lens and then realised it was among the lenses I sort of inherited from a friend - it does have a smooth rendition which is sharp without being ugly. 

gallery_13484_5760_62191.jpg

For a moment there I saw the gentleman wearing a strip of film negative for sunglasses, with the perforations visible on top.

• Like 6

My dad seeing his new great-granddaughter using FaceTime .... first time he saw anything more than a photo of her ... Portra 400 and my 50mm sumilux on the MA but I can't swear to the lens .... 

Excellent, Steve.Isn't it funny (for those of us old enough) to think of how the idea of a video phone was something out of the Jetsons, yet within a very short amount of time it went from incredible to normal?

• Like 2

Falling to the Right.

Pete.

attachicon.gifFalling to the right.jpg

I like it, Pete, and I'm standing away from Norm.

• Like 2