I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My dad seeing his new great-granddaughter using FaceTime .... first time he saw anything more than a photo of her ... Portra 400 and my 50mm sumilux on the MA but I can't swear to the lens .... 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 19

and one more ..... my dad is 95 1/2 and going strong, mentally and physically (can do more with photoshop than me!)

• Like 15

Playback has been disabled - but I get the gist.

Problem with home developing -> how to do in a normal domestic setting where the only rooms with running water are the kitchen and bathroom (bathrooms in the UK have a bath :) ). Neither are ideal for photo-chemistry. Only option is to use a commercial photo lab. I have no doubt others have the same predicament.

Playback has been disabled - but I get the gist.

Problem with home developing -> how to do in a normal domestic setting where the only rooms with running water are the kitchen and bathroom (bathrooms in the UK have a bath :) ). Neither are ideal for photo-chemistry. Only option is to use a commercial photo lab. I have no doubt others have the same predicament.

I use a bathroom for film developing. A bathroom is actually an ideal environment, I can keep mine at exactly 20C which makes black and white film development a breeze, it's small enough that dust control is easy and of course the running water is necessary. If you have a changing bag, a tank and reel and a bathroom you can develop your own film. :)

• Like 4

No need for running water or a drain to develop B&W film. With the 250ml stainless tank I use for developing 35mm B&W film the entire process - develop, stop, fix and wash - uses just one and a half liters of water. (I use distilled water for the entire job.) With a one gallon jug of water at room temperature and an empty jug for pouring off the used liquids I can set up anywhere I find a couple of square feet of counter space. The whole kit, less the two jugs, fits in an 11x14 developing tray.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Brighton Pier.  

Adox Colour Implosion ISO 100 with M3 and 1947 Carl Zeiss Jena 50/2 Sonnar.  (Processed as C-41 in a commercial lab.)

Colour Implosion is an 'experimental' film made by Adox that has been deliberately treated so that the colour coupling system collapses giving unusual colours and coarse grain.  I used the CZJ Sonnar lens because it flares wildly against the light, which I felt might add an interesting twist.

attachicon.gifBrighton Pier Colour Implosion.jpg

That is wonderful! I love Brighton Pier and this photograph makes it look awesome!

And what are you doing up and posting at 2:17 in the morning?  :p

Edited by mikemgb
  • Like 1

Haha I love these types of series, two great shots.

Lovely photograph, Pritam.

What a dream picture, Phil, not only to get a bird passing through the frame at the right moment but also capture it in that pose. And then the clouds in the background...awesome.

What about inside food? Where can that be eaten?

You will need to take that up with post commander. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the good counsel, Gentlemen.  I am a klutz and thus don't trust myself with a butter knife.  So I will put my faith in the hands of this technician and let him know that his reputation depends on him doing this relatively simply task :)

hi Adam
It happened to me incidently and I assume you don’t have a changing bag or darkroom.
What about a small room/ toilet and darken it with black plastic or textile?
Check 5 min in the dark for light leaks, put the camera front on a blanket on the floor, open the camera
back and check if the film end is still on the sprocket rollers and pull the film slowly under 45degrees
from the upwinding spool, roll it carefully and put it in the black lighttight container (Kodak)
Take the cassette out on the otherside and rewind the end of the film in the cassette.
In the event the film is complete on the upwinding spool you should take a pair of tweezers to catch
the film end out. Once you have this you make circular movements (anti-clockwise) seen from the bottom of the camera with the film end and slowly roll the outcoming film every 20-30 cm step by step and put it in the lighttight contaner. Done. It isn’t difficult but work slowly, be patient and relax.
Note: the take up spool moves freely in both directions independent of the rewind lever on the front.
Be carefull with the shutter blinds.
If you don’t want to do this you can try this in daylight with an old film for another occasion.
Good luck anyhow.

just saw this .... same thing happened to me once .... went to the color house then downstairs to their darkroom in the basement ...  more like a dark ballroom .... anyway I was finally able spool it off the take up reel but some of the last shots got ruined by whatever implement I was using to get some leader out to get a grip so I could unspool the rest of the roll without incident. good luck with it!!!!!! didn't have time to shoot film today, but I got some digital shots in, posted in the street forum ..... look forward to seeing your efforts!

Steve - these are totally awesome.  Lucky you are, to be able to match wits - and also the art of photography - with your dear Father...

and one more ..... my dad is 95 1/2 and going strong, mentally and physically (can do more with photoshop than me!)

• Like 1

So today was bitter sweet here in New York City.  It SNOWED like mad pretty much all day.  With major winds.  I was like a kid in a candy store with my M7, 28mm, portra 400 and flash.  I got two good rolls in.  That is the sweet part.  The bitter part is that my second roll tore and is stuck in my camera.  ARGHH - never happened to me!  So I took my camera to the lab and hope that they can successfully extract the film without damage.  The film tore off of the container and is wound around the spool on the right side of the camera.  Anyone have a sense of whether the film is salvageable?  

In any case, I gave Newsday a blizzard photo from last year for their Intagram account, which has garnered some above-average interest...  I'm always happy to make people smile.  :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdhxwzSnxFh/?hl=en&taken-by=newsday

Adam - this is gobsmackingly Good!

• Like 1

M4 - Summicron 50 - Xp2 - not sure if I used the VCII or took an incident reading with the old Sekonic L248 (still working on its mercury battery!) before rehearsal started - probably was incident.

P.S.  just checked - the battery in the Sekonic is a PX-13 - that's mercury isn't it?  if it is, this can't go on forever - anyone using one of the substitutes and can recommend it?

tks.

gallery_13484_5760_425888.jpg

Edited by kalkadan
  • Like 11

Leica M-A, Summarit 35mm/2.4 ASPH, Tri-X 400

• Like 15

• Like 16

Along Day Road, Morgan Hill, CA

• Like 11

My dad seeing his new great-granddaughter using FaceTime .... first time he saw anything more than a photo of her ... Portra 400 and my 50mm sumilux on the MA but I can't swear to the lens .... 

Steve your dad seems to me in very good heatlh

You're a lucky man

Brighton Pier.  

Adox Colour Implosion ISO 100 with M3 and 1947 Carl Zeiss Jena 50/2 Sonnar.  (Processed as C-41 in a commercial lab.)

Colour Implosion is an 'experimental' film made by Adox that has been deliberately treated so that the colour coupling system collapses giving unusual colours and coarse grain.  I used the CZJ Sonnar lens because it flares wildly against the light, which I felt might add an interesting twist.

Pete you know you are welcome , please come more often

your picture with Adox is like a painting

It's what I call "art"  not possible with digital even with software

From last week on Wall Street with my IIIg and 28 summaron and Portra 400....

Bagel delivery is apparantly now free of charge here in NYC with your Amazon "prime" membership :) :)

Beautiful Adam , well done and at the right moment in the Henri Cartier Bresson manner

Then ... 1981 - Nikon FE, 85mm/f2 Ais, Xp1 - and an attempt at a bit of fill flash

gallery_13484_5760_303778.jpg

Now - 2015 - 4 children, 6 grandchildren (soon to be 7!!) and always trekking

M4 - Summitar (the 1948 version)

gallery_13484_5760_447585.jpg

Dan both portraits  are superb with a little preference of b&w a vintage aspect

M4 - Summicron 50 - Xp2 - not sure if I used the VCII or took an incident reading with the old Sekonic L248 (still working on its mercury battery!) before rehearsal started - probably was incident.

P.S.  just checked - the battery in the Sekonic is a PX-13 - that's mercury isn't it?  if it is, this can't go on forever - anyone using one of the substitutes and can recommend it?

tks.

gallery_13484_5760_425888.jpg

I like this picture black is superb Dan

Along Day Road, Morgan Hill, CA

Really nice black of film in these 3 pictures ..... I see it's TX of Kodak a real and true black

Dan you develop yourself ? if yes what's developer ?

Thanks All of you for posting

Best

Henry

• Like 5

Brighton Pier.  

Fabulous image. Criminal that the film is no longer available.
  • Like 1

Now - 2015 - 4 children, 6 grandchildren (soon to be 7!!) and always trekking

M4 - Summitar (the 1948 version)

Dan - these are both superb portraits. Testament to the value of photographs - then and now - and the things that change while remaining faithful to their essence.

• Like 1