I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Where would analogue photography be without digital, scanning, propagation through the airwaves. If we lived in an isolated world without the Internet would analogue be in a worse or better state?

It's the same problematic with digital Steve....

with the difference that the negative remains the negative and is something physical and that we can touch

it does not need electricity to develop only water

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 3

I have only developed Kodak and Ilford films lately, in my experience Ilford is the "straightest" film to dry, while Kodak needs to dry with a weight (I even remember, where the curvature of a Kodak film snapped out while drying).

Edit - I should add I haven't used FP4 or HP5 in ages, when I used Ilford, it was Delta.

Stefan

Yes with Kodak TX or another film like Ilford I let dry naturally in my lab room

from 3 to 4 hours, more simple , with a weight clip to develop photo paper as said Stefan

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

I've been all over the place attempting to post this image - even opened an album on this site - any advice (point me to a thread - i have tried hard to find one) on how to post images would be appreciated.  Used to do this from Photobucket.  Now trying the BB code from my gallery on this forum: AHA! success!

You need to reply to the last post made.  

Go to the Reply to this topic section after the last post and select More Reply Options.  Make whatever comment you like and the select Choose File in the Attach Files area.  This should open a browser/dialog box and you can browse to where the file is on your Mac/PC.  Select the file and press Attach This File.  The file will be uploaded and you will see a message appear on the right which says Add to Post.  Click on the comment/dialogue area after you comments and press the Add to Post button, the image should appear in the post.

There are a number of limitations on image dimensions and file size which are explained in the Forum Customer area.

Hope that's helpful.

Edited by Bobitybob
  • Like 3

Happy New Year!  :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

MP, 2/35, BW400CN

• Like 17

I pulled hard but couldn't get this gang of four out of the shadows, using a very basic Photos editor which came bundled with the MacBook Pro (2009). I'm not too adept at IT stuff and, therefore, try and get by with all but minimum intervention. In any case, black is black !

Photo taken in Melbourne, July 2017

T-Max 400

• Like 17

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The crowd.... I must wait 3 turns to take this metro line

Paris Christmas 2017

Kodak TX400Isos-Leica MP-50 Summilux Asph

attachicon.gifImage9metredec17pariskodtxmprlhvn+++1000.jpg

Black of Kodak TX is very deep , have a nice aspect and not "smoothing"

Best

Henry

I like this shot a lot, Henry. The backward glance / glare fills it with 'timeless action'. You caught the moment beautifully.

• Like 1

When two people have to sit through a few iterations of a 10x8 photo they don't look so good. Chamonix 10x8, Schneider-Kreuznach Symmar-S 360mm/f6.8, Galaxy Hyperspeed @ EI 50, one Impact strobe and one Impact continuous CFT light, Ilford MG Developer, Epson V850 scan:

25564935008_b843b40ff0_c.jpg

Canadian Gothic by chrism229, on Flickr

Stick a pitchfork in it and it would be done.

C.

• Like 19

It's the same problematic with digital Steve.... with the difference that the negative remains the negative and is something physical and that we can touch

it does not need electricity to develop only water

Best

Henry

Henry, in my earlier comment I was sort of wondering to myself whether analogue has benifited from social forums such as this (hence the digital connection being able to digitise and share), spreading the word of film, leading by example in a way. In my case i think it has. I joined the Leica forum when I purchased my M240 (that I still love incidentally) and my interest in film was rekindled by looking at the images in the 'I like film' thread. I guess mine is not a unique experience.
  • Like 7

Saigon River, Ho Chi Minh City

T-Max 400

• Like 12

It's been a while since I was active in the thread. Good to see the doc back and some of the new contributors. I haven't had any film developed since my last batch in November. Here's one from that batch for Henry. Not sheep but cows. 28 Summaron and BW400cn. incidentally, I've walked through countless fields of cows over the years – including past some ugly looking bulls – and never felt remotely fazed. However, this benign looking herd were anything but. The cow in the middle of the frame was already eyeballing me from some distance and as I approached closely via the well worn path, the herd immediately closed in and tried to surround me. A few were jumping and snorting as they tried to outflank me and I was rather glad to get to the gate. I must admit I began to think about incidents like this one and stats like these. :o  

25557866178_09ceccb7f8_b.jpg

Remnants of MCD? It has the makings of an excellent Hitchcock thriller. I have a vision of bovines crushing a red telephone box in a small hamlet, as a traveling vacuum salesman desperately tries to call out for help...

• Like 5

Remnants of MCD? It has the makings of an excellent Hitchcock thriller. I have a vision of bovines crushing a red telephone box in a small hamlet, as a traveling vacuum salesman desperately tries to call out for help...

I think herds have been free of BSE for many years now (and I’m not sure it made cows aggressive). I’ve no idea what provoked the cows in my photo - I was walking alone without a dog and minding my own business. I like the sound of your film, Eoin. If not Hitchcock, I can imagine Aardman animations doing something with the idea.

• Like 1

I pulled hard but couldn't get this gang of four out of the shadows, using a very basic Photos editor which came bundled with the MacBook Pro (2009). I'm not too adept at IT stuff and, therefore, try and get by with all but minimum intervention. In any case, black is black !

Photo taken in Melbourne, July 2017

attachicon.gifGang of Four.jpg

T-Max 400

The deep black shadows work out well here, in my view.

If I may comment on this, it does not surprise me, since a black print means an (almost) transparent negative, there is probably no structure to recover. Hence the old recommendation to expose negative film for the shadows, since the highlights can be recovered with longer exposure in the enlarger (or a film scanner which can handle higher optical densities). I remember exposing a dense negative once for half an hour.

There are b&w films with very large exposure latitude like Ilford XP2. Unfortunately, Kodak BW400 has been discontinued.

Stefan

Edited by StS
  • Like 3

Very good results, Philip.  I have to try that sometime.

If anyone has been wondering what fireworks look like when shot through rain, well here's how. From the fireworks festival in August last (!) year. Plus one before the showers began, both with the 80 Planar and Provia 400.

Scheveningen

Flickr

Flickr

Very nice!  I especially like the last one.  Perfect subject matter and you've captured it very well!

Happy New Year Everyone!
Some shots with my Hasselblad 501C, Planar 80 and Ilford FP4Plus

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Two from my walk around Manhattan with Adam Miller, photographers at work in the Oculus. :)

Leica M2, Dual Range Summicron 50, Kodak Tri-X 400.

• Like 13