The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
* * * * - 65 votes

I like film...(open thread)

• Please log in to reply
50660 replies to this topic

#44981 EoinC

EoinC

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:41

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

A 2017 fence for Wayne, to help close out the year... ;)

EOS 1V HS w/ ZE135 - Tri-X (not that it matters)

25530487398_9112041904_b.jpgA006 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

• chrism, Michael Hiles, Doc Henry and 9 others said thank you

#44982 Guest_10511_*

Guest_10511_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:05

Wishing everyone a healthy and happy new year, filled with success, good times and good photography!

Here is one of my favorites from 2017.  I shared a version of this last Spring, but I managed to go back before the sculpture was taken down for a proper "blue hour", which I think works much better than my first attempt :) :)

Park Avenue, NYC

Ektar (6x9)

Linhof Technika Press 23

53mm Zeiss Biogon

attachicon.gifHappy New Year.jpg

I love this shot. Anyway, their NYC pictures are always a treat. I was in NYC 6 years ago. Wonderful photogenic metropolis. I'm jealous of you. ;)

Edited by cujoka, 31 December 2017 - 06:19.

• A miller said thank you to this

#44983 sblitz

sblitz

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 5,080 posts
  • City / Ort:new york

Posted 31 December 2017 - 07:19

POPULAR

London April 1984 Kodachrome (my old Canon TL and its FD 50mm 1.8 lens) --  This one's for Henry

Attached Files

• christoph_d, wattsy, mdachs and 18 others said thank you

#44984 sblitz

sblitz

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 5,080 posts
  • City / Ort:new york

Posted 31 December 2017 - 07:28

POPULAR

one more .... London skyline as it was then --- Kodachrome ...

Attached Files

• christoph_d, mdachs, redkea and 18 others said thank you

#44985 heylos

heylos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • City / Ort:San Francisco

Posted 31 December 2017 - 07:34

POPULAR

Hi,
I’m new to this forum and this is my favorite topic (I’m actually new to posting anywhere in general).

These are from the first roll of film I’ve shot in a couple of decades. The film was processed by a lab in San Francisco called Photoworks (these are low-res scans). I’ll get a scanner and process film eventually, baby steps for now though.

Happy New Year and thank you for the great posts.

-carlos

M4, 35 Summaron, Ektar 100 (At and near Pacifica, California).

i-n7D4mC7-XL.jpg

i-VptDtpr-XL.jpg

i-8vpnLtM-XL.jpg

i-jpqfJ9H-XL.jpg

• christoph_d, wattsy, plasticman and 23 others said thank you

#44986 MarkP

MarkP

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 7,923 posts
  • City / Ort:Sydney

Posted 31 December 2017 - 07:41

Welcome to the Forum Carlos.
Please keep posting :-)

Mark
  • Doc Henry said thank you to this

#44987 Guest_10511_*

Guest_10511_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:05

Hi Carlos.

Welcome to the Forum 

• Doc Henry said thank you to this

#44988 heylos

heylos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:16

Welcome to the Forum Carlos.
Please keep posting :-)

Mark

Thank you Mark, will do :-)

#44989 heylos

heylos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:18

Hi Carlos.

Welcome to the Forum 

Thanks cujoka.

#44990 EoinC

EoinC

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:35

London April 1984 Kodachrome (my old Canon TL and its FD 50mm 1.8 lens) --  This one's for Henry

"A glow of theatrical excitement", indeed! Both shots are powerful memories.

• sblitz said thank you to this

#44991 EoinC

EoinC

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:37

Hi,
I’m new to this forum and this is my favorite topic (I’m actually new to posting anywhere in general).

These are from the first roll of film I’ve shot in a couple of decades. The film was processed by a lab in San Francisco called Photoworks (these are low-res scans). I’ll get a scanner and process film eventually, baby steps for now though.

-carlos

Very nice, Carlos. Welcome to the best thread on LUF. We look forward to you posting more of your works.

#44992 stray cat

stray cat

exposed | unexposed

• Members
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:13

Hi,

-carlos

Welcome, Carlos - these photos are a great start to your journey here. Good to see you using the 35mm Summaron, too - a vastly underrated lens in my opinion.

Edited by stray cat, 31 December 2017 - 09:13.

Cheers, Phil

philipnwright.com

#44993 Doc Henry

Doc Henry

Sponsoring Member

• Premium Member
  • 23,133 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:13

Happy New Year to All of you in this film thread  and Bonne Année 2018

....and One year full of film pictures  :) 

Attached File  Image4apo90m7kod160lfht+++950HNYbis.jpg   239.43KB   6 downloads

Kodak Portra 160-M7-Apo Summicron 90 Asph

Edited by Doc Henry, 31 December 2017 - 09:22.

• christoph_d, wattsy, helged and 16 others said thank you

#44994 heylos

heylos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:14

Very nice, Carlos. Welcome to the best thread on LUF. We look forward to you posting more of your works.

Thank you and indeed this thread is the best. 

• EoinC said thank you to this

#44995 Doc Henry

Doc Henry

Sponsoring Member

• Premium Member
  • 23,133 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:19

M7, Zeiss 28/2.8 Biogon, HP5, D76:

24528811967_b2aa518174_b.jpg

Untitled by Brendan | Toews, on Flickr

.... solitude and great picture Brendan nice black

M6, 50mm Summilux v. 2, Fuji Velvia 100

attachicon.gifM6_Velvia100.jpg

Wow what beautiful color Uli

The Thames between London Bridge and Tower Bridge.

Leica IIIf and Voigtländer 15/4.5 Super-wide Heliar with Tri-X.

attachicon.gifReflection Thames London Bridge.jpg

Pete you are welcome you know that some more pictures please with this new year :)

Thanks for posting

Oselvar - a traditional Norwegian wooden boat, formed like a simplified, miniature version of the Viking ships. Built by my uncle in the 1960ies, by the way.

Mamiya 7, 43mm, Provia 100.

Wow great color in this picture Helged

Someone reading the paper in Ghent and bartender (?) in Bordeaux (plus as a bonus a micro-selfie) -- 50/1.4A Portra 160(80)

Flickr

Flickr

Philip soft and beautiful color picture :)

It’s New Years Eve so perhaps you’ll bear with me. There’s a little story behind this picture…

p920695091-5.jpg

This portrait was made during the incredible workshop that I attended back in 2011, which was conducted by Mary Ellen Mark in Oaxaca, Mexico.

Mary Ellen gave us some options of places to shoot - places she’d sent attendees in the past, knowing they came back with good pictures. For me, it was a choice between the town dump and the slaughterhouse. I chose the dump. She told us we’d need gumboots, as we’d be walking in trash, so the girl I went there with, Ari, and I got our taxi to stop at a shoe shop en route. I couldn’t buy gumboots anywhere near my size so I bought the only things I could find big enough - some cheap tennis shoes.  There was a fruit shop next door to the shoe shop so we also bought water and oranges.

When we got to the dump Ari and I separated and went trudging in different directions through mountains of trash. Eventually I met this man and, as we walked, we conversed - not that I could speak Spanish, nor could he speak English - we communicated by gesture. He lived with his dogs (there’s one behind him) in a hut at the edge of the dump and worked there every day, filling large bags with stuff he might be able to sell. He graciously agreed to let me take his picture. He was (and hopefully still is) such a dignified man. I gave him my oranges and, noticing he had none, my shoes, ending my trip to the dump barefoot. Later, on hearing of this, people thought I was either crazy or incredibly kind and generous, but I just felt manifestly inadequate having made such a small gesture - it was the very least I felt I could have done. The experience of meeting this man was a very powerful one for me - he never asked me for anything - and he lived with the dignity that is so evident in this picture even though, by any standard, he had so very little.

The picture also involved technical challenges. I was using Ilford XP2 Super film, which is nominally 400ISO but can be successfully overexposed to some extent (and underexposed according to ChrisM’s fascinating experiments). It was incredibly hot and bright at the dump, and I wanted to use some fill flash so as to get some light to his face, which was well shaded by his hat. Leica M’s having just 1/50 sec as a maximum sync speed meant I had to stack the only two colour filters I had with me - a green and a yellow - on the 28mm Elmarit lens and I still had to use the minimum aperture (f16). Even then I was overexposing the box speed by two stops - effectively 100ISO. Setting my Nikon SB25 flash to half power I hoped it would all work out - and this time, fortunately, it did.

What this story illustrates perfectly to me is that photography enables us to experience so much that maybe we wouldn’t otherwise. If it weren’t for the workshop I’d probably never have gone to Mexico, and certainly never to the town dump. I’d never have met this man whose quiet dignity will forever stay with me - not just in a picture - this was a real, live experience and I can still recall us talking, and even remember the heat and the acrid stench of the dump; can almost still feel the slimy rubbish oozing through my toes after I’d passed on my shoes. I’ll never forget the lessons my short encounter with this man taught me in acceptance, dignity and humility. Hell, I’d never have met my valued mentor Mary Ellen Mark or some of the wonderful people I still maintain contact with.

It taught me why I love photography so much - working out solutions to problems, sharing unimaginable experiences with other photographers. Being IN the world and experiencing its delights, its vicissitudes and having the opportunity to come away with something tangible, personal and meaningful. A photograph.

Have a happy, healthy and fulfilling 2018.

Great story and wonderful b&w picture Phil

I spent today catching up on my developing, I have 8 rolls of film and three sheets of 4x5 hanging and drying. I'm scanning one film tonight, the rest will wait until tomorrow.

Some place in Paris, November 2017, Olympus XA2, Ektar 100.

attachicon.gifSheet074_003.jpg

Mike great picture of Notre Dame in color have you more ?

Wishing everyone a healthy and happy new year, filled with success, good times and good photography!

Here is one of my favorites from 2017.  I shared a version of this last Spring, but I managed to go back before the sculpture was taken down for a proper "blue hour", which I think works much better than my first attempt :) :)

Park Avenue, NYC

Ektar (6x9)

Linhof Technika Press 23

53mm Zeiss Biogon

One of my favorite film and your picture makes nicer Adam

Happy New Year All of you

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry, 31 December 2017 - 09:21.

• philipus, A miller, stray cat and 2 others said thank you

#44996 philipus

philipus

Film photographer

• Members
  • 4,830 posts
  • City / Ort:¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:54

Thank you for sharing this story, Phil. I agree with you that photography enables us to experience so much more than we otherwise would. And it allows us to share those experiences with others in ways not otherwise possible and let's us see things we otherwise wouldn't or couldn't. And photography has the capacity to make us think, one of our most powerful yet often less used abilities.

This photo, in particular, makes me think. Just look at his right hand. It seems he's injured. Odds are he is right-handed. If so, that hand is probably one of his most useful and necessary 'tools' and it's broken. I can only imagine the risk physical injury brings with it to someone living and working in such conditions. Nevertheless he looks dignified, though there is also something staunchly defiant in his gaze. 

It’s New Years Eve so perhaps you’ll bear with me. There’s a little story behind this picture…

p920695091-5.jpg

This portrait was made during the incredible workshop that I attended back in 2011, which was conducted by Mary Ellen Mark in Oaxaca, Mexico.

Mary Ellen gave us some options of places to shoot - places she’d sent attendees in the past, knowing they came back with good pictures. For me, it was a choice between the town dump and the slaughterhouse. I chose the dump. She told us we’d need gumboots, as we’d be walking in trash, so the girl I went there with, Ari, and I got our taxi to stop at a shoe shop en route. I couldn’t buy gumboots anywhere near my size so I bought the only things I could find big enough - some cheap tennis shoes.  There was a fruit shop next door to the shoe shop so we also bought water and oranges.

When we got to the dump Ari and I separated and went trudging in different directions through mountains of trash. Eventually I met this man and, as we walked, we conversed - not that I could speak Spanish, nor could he speak English - we communicated by gesture. He lived with his dogs (there’s one behind him) in a hut at the edge of the dump and worked there every day, filling large bags with stuff he might be able to sell. He graciously agreed to let me take his picture. He was (and hopefully still is) such a dignified man. I gave him my oranges and, noticing he had none, my shoes, ending my trip to the dump barefoot. Later, on hearing of this, people thought I was either crazy or incredibly kind and generous, but I just felt manifestly inadequate having made such a small gesture - it was the very least I felt I could have done. The experience of meeting this man was a very powerful one for me - he never asked me for anything - and he lived with the dignity that is so evident in this picture even though, by any standard, he had so very little.

The picture also involved technical challenges. I was using Ilford XP2 Super film, which is nominally 400ISO but can be successfully overexposed to some extent (and underexposed according to ChrisM’s fascinating experiments). It was incredibly hot and bright at the dump, and I wanted to use some fill flash so as to get some light to his face, which was well shaded by his hat. Leica M’s having just 1/50 sec as a maximum sync speed meant I had to stack the only two colour filters I had with me - a green and a yellow - on the 28mm Elmarit lens and I still had to use the minimum aperture (f16). Even then I was overexposing the box speed by two stops - effectively 100ISO. Setting my Nikon SB25 flash to half power I hoped it would all work out - and this time, fortunately, it did.

What this story illustrates perfectly to me is that photography enables us to experience so much that maybe we wouldn’t otherwise. If it weren’t for the workshop I’d probably never have gone to Mexico, and certainly never to the town dump. I’d never have met this man whose quiet dignity will forever stay with me - not just in a picture - this was a real, live experience and I can still recall us talking, and even remember the heat and the acrid stench of the dump; can almost still feel the slimy rubbish oozing through my toes after I’d passed on my shoes. I’ll never forget the lessons my short encounter with this man taught me in acceptance, dignity and humility. Hell, I’d never have met my valued mentor Mary Ellen Mark or some of the wonderful people I still maintain contact with.

It taught me why I love photography so much - working out solutions to problems, sharing unimaginable experiences with other photographers. Being IN the world and experiencing its delights, its vicissitudes and having the opportunity to come away with something tangible, personal and meaningful. A photograph.

Have a happy, healthy and fulfilling 2018.

This is great, Adam. I remember the other versions you showed but I think this is my favourite because it shows the enormous size of the statue without exaggerating the perspective. And the blue hour and long exposure are icing on a very delicious-looking cake.

Park Avenue, NYC

Ektar (6x9)

Linhof Technika Press 23

53mm Zeiss Biogon

It's New Year's Eve - perfect time for resolutions :) And that's an absolutely delightful photo of your daughter, Eoin.

Thanks, Chris. I have a friend with a few Intrepids. As it happens, I have a Shen Hao passing through Anchorage on its way to me. Not the lightest of 4x5's, but that just means I'll have to be a bit fitter.

For what it's worth, this is the general area of interest...

http://www.david-nob...onTraverse.html

Nice work, Activatedfx, and welcome to the forum.

I hope you managed to hang on to the Kowa Six. It is a wonderful camera. Mine got passed on to my daughter, who is learning the wonders of the square box...

(503 CXi w/ 80mm Planar - Neopan Acros 100)

29853392634_7f9fb052cf_b.jpgA001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Terrific mood and colours Steve.

Warm welcome Carlos. Looking forward to seeing more of your photography.

br
Philip

Hi,

-carlos

i-n7D4mC7-XL.jpg

i-VptDtpr-XL.jpg

i-8vpnLtM-XL.jpg

i-jpqfJ9H-XL.jpg

• sblitz, A miller, stray cat and 2 others said thank you

philipus.com 

Film is Photography.

#44997 atournas

atournas

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 978 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece & London, England

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:08

In this thread has been discussed quite often, whether rather digital images on the one hand or negatives, paper prints and slides on the other hand will be preserved for generations to come. I think we all agree that film images will have a greater chance of remaining for decades and centuries. Even more interesting, however, is the question of which images our posterity will want from us. I do not think that pictures of beautiful landscapes or holiday pictures will be asked first and foremost. Rather, it will be impressions of our everyday lives. Our homes and facilities, towns, streets and cars, but also our food and clothes will most likely be of great interest. So I consider it just as a film photographer our duty to capture our cultural assets and our way of life as diverse as possible in pictures and keep safe.

In this sense, a few pictures from the previous century.

attachicon.gif_DSC0634.jpg

A very thoughtful piece! Allow me to add that this important thread should focus on film photography in your writing's spirit rather than on film technicalities. Thank you for sharing these thoughts of yours with us!

• Doc Henry and EoinC said thank you to this

Apostolos D. Tournas
Leica, Hasselblad and some digital

Flickr

#44998 heylos

heylos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:15

Welcome, Carlos - these photos are a great start to your journey here. Good to see you using the 35mm Summaron, too - a vastly underrated lens in my opinion.

Thank you. The Leica world is new to me as well. For Christmas my wife gave me a book full of Leica history (I'm sure there are many). I'm looking forward to reading it.

• Doc Henry, philipus, stray cat and 1 other said thank you

#44999 heylos

heylos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:16

Thank you for sharing this story, Phil. I agree with you that photography enables us to experience so much more than we otherwise would. And it allows us to share those experiences with others in ways not otherwise possible and let's us see things we otherwise wouldn't or couldn't. And photography has the capacity to make us think, one of our most powerful yet often less used abilities.

This photo, in particular, makes me think. Just look at his right hand. It seems he's injured. Odds are he is right-handed. If so, that hand is probably one of his most useful and necessary 'tools' and it's broken. I can only imagine the risk physical injury brings with it to someone living and working in such conditions. Nevertheless he looks dignified, though there is also something staunchly defiant in his gaze. 

This is great, Adam. I remember the other versions you showed but I think this is my favourite because it shows the enormous size of the statue without exaggerating the perspective. And the blue hour and long exposure are icing on a very delicious-looking cake.

It's New Year's Eve - perfect time for resolutions :) And that's an absolutely delightful photo of your daughter, Eoin.

Terrific mood and colours Steve.

Warm welcome Carlos. Looking forward to seeing more of your photography.

br
Philip

Thank you Phillip.

• philipus said thank you to this

#45000 fotomas

fotomas

Laborator

• Members
  • 1,877 posts
  • City / Ort:metropolregion rn

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:52

A bright and clear 2018 for you all