I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How do people here go about indexing their negs, and cross referencing to the scanned versions? I need to start soon or it will get out of hand before I know it.

Steve on the first pages of this folder , another one ,  to store all the pages  containing

the negatives , you have some pages index furnished with the leaflets

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Rg

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 3

It's been a while since I was active in the thread. Good to see the doc back and some of the new contributors. I haven't had any film developed since my last batch in November. Here's one from that batch for Henry. Not sheep but cows. 28 Summaron and BW400cn. incidentally, I've walked through countless fields of cows over the years – including past some ugly looking bulls – and never felt remotely fazed. However, this benign looking herd were anything but. The cow in the middle of the frame was already eyeballing me from some distance and as I approached closely via the well worn path, the herd immediately closed in and tried to surround me. A few were jumping and snorting as they tried to outflank me and I was rather glad to get to the gate. I must admit I began to think about incidents like this one. :o  

25557866178_09ceccb7f8_b.jpg

Superb Ian , a great b&w picture

and glad you post your favorite b&w version

Happy New Year Ian to you and your family

Best

Henry

• Like 1

How do people here go about indexing their negs, and cross referencing to the scanned versions? I need to start soon or it will get out of hand before I know it.

Steve ,  I have all my negatives since 1970 , inside these files folder with index pages , kind of films , dates , cameras and places where I shoot . As in digital where you must save in Hard Disc and need computer , here in Film  no computer only one pen to write  .... :) 

and in addition protection against dusts and scratches :)

Steve on the first pages of this folder , another one ,  to store all the pages  containing

the negatives , you have some pages index furnished with the leaflets

attachicon.gifFolder +++500.jpg

Rg

Henry

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 4

I scan my negatives and store them in 3-ring binders and 1 36 exp roll per page. They are labelled Binder 1, Binder 2 etc. Pages are 1,2,3… So a particular negative is indexed as Binder 1-6-xx. When I scan a roll the file names are set to match the Binder system. So I will have a scanned image with a file name Binder 1-6-xx. The dates of the scanned file is a good approximation to the date the image was made. Using my software I assign meaningful and useful keywords to each image (London, St-Denis, Adrienne, Masi Mara etc.). By searching my scanned images by keyword I can instantly put my hands on the negative in a binder. It works very well.

Edited by Michael Hiles
  • Like 6

Steve , I have all my negatives since 1970 , inside these files folder with index pages , kind of films , dates , cameras and places where I shoot . As in digital where you must save in Hard Disc and need computer , here in Film no computer only one pen to write .... :)

attachicon.gifL1017694labm8cron28dec2017+++1000.jpg

Best

Henry

Thanks Henry.

In an ideal world it be really helpful to have contact prints for each page making referencing and visualisation easier. But unfortunately I do not have a darkroom, nor a flat bed scanner, just a Plustek and a BEOON set up. I can quickly camera scan a roll in 10 or 15 minutes and import. This will provide a visual record and the negative archive. I can Plustek scan the important ones, and /or send them out for printing. I just need to put my mind to developing a sensible cross reference which is not burdensome, but effective.

Edited by Steve Ricoh
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I scan my negatives and store them in 3-ring binders and 1 36 exp roll per page. They are labelled Binder 1, Binder 2 etc. Pages are 1,2,3… So a particular negative is indexed as Binder 1-6-xx. When I scan a roll the file names are set to match the Binder system. So I will have a scanned image with a file name Binder 1-6-xx. The dates of the scanned file is a good approximation to the date the image was made. Using my software I assign meaningful and useful keywords to each image (London, St-Denis, Adrienne, Masi Mara etc.). By searching my scanned images I can instantly put my hands on the negative in a binder. It works very well.

Thanks Edward, I will take your system and use. Sounds just what I need to do. I have ordered a set of sleeves and the hard file to store them.

Mike very nice color in this picture.....

for your scratch look at my post

Best

Henry

Henry, the scratch is on the glass, not the negative, I will be returning this piece of glass for replacement. I bought 35mm and 120 inserts for my Epson film holders, so far I'm not impressed, I'm getting a lot of newton rings, I've actually had better luck putting the negatives under ordinary picture frame glass.

• Like 1

Excellent Steve. Then I am also attracted to clichés :)

Another from my 'test roll' put through the Pen F 40 f/1.4
Tri-X Plustek Scan

Bit of a Cliche shot or what!

39360352922_b201024ef5_b.jpgCliche Shot by -Steve Ricoh-

Wonderful Steve, lovely priceless moment.

just a pic of me and my oldest who made me a grandfather this year, Kodachrome ......... I do miss this film, without question .... wonder what the Ektachrome will look like .. Canon TL 50mm FD 1.8 lens ... long long time ago now ...

I agree, Tri-X curls like crazy and is one of the reasons I don't shoot it any longer. Double-X is so much better in this respect and a more versatile film, I find. Oddly, seeing the comments about Acros, that dries flat for me.

NIce shot!

I actually used Tri-X, T-Max, Delta and HP5, all 400. I wanted to compare the four films in a situation where the subject and the weather was the same, this trip was the perfect occasion for that. I'm scanning today, my initial impression is that no matter how good Tri-X looks its curl will probably stop me buying any more.

I'd be very interested in seeing how you built that cabinet. Perhaps that can cure the curl curse for me.

Hi Mike, I don't notice any issues with Tri-X curling, the real curly film for me is ACROS 100 (but won't stop me from shooting this very special film).

I hang my film to dry in a DIY drying cabinet, weighted with a clip and Tri-X comes out completely straight with no curl at all. How do you dry your film?

Welcome to the thread, Lynn. This is a lovely portrait. 

br

Philip

A little love for APX100 in Rodinal. Hot day in Sydney.

gallery_58382_5758_272404.jpg

IIIc + Summitar

Lynn

Very nice Henry, I like this one.

Inside the metro during Christmas

Paris dec 2017

Kodak TX400 Isos-Leica MP- 50 Summilux Asph

attachicon.gifImage15metroparisdec17kodtxmprlhvn+++1000-2.jpg

Best

Henry

Fantastic portrait. Welcome to the thread.

Finally - it's late on New Year's Day over here! - a portrait taken with the Rolleiflex 2.8D - bonne nuit !

gallery_13484_5760_48511.jpg

Ah indexing, now that's an interesting topic. Since my system is probably one of the more crazy ones around I'll take this opportunity to share with you my madness. I make a folder for each film, named Year-Roll number that year(Total number of rolls)-Scanner-Camera-Film(EI). Example: 2017-212(754)-9k[for Coolscan 9000]-TTL[for Leica M6TTL]-FSR400(100)[for Fuji Superia 400 at EI100). Then I use that as file name for the individual scans and add a _1, _2 etc. In Bridge I have made keywords for 1) family members (I don't add tags for anyone else), 2) country and location, and 3) camera, lens, film, development and scanner. I keep the negs in the same type of sleeve Henry showed earlier which I put in ordinary full-width ring binders, one per year. On the computer I have annual folders in which I make subfolders for the relevant event, like Birthday of X. Then I have a General folder with theme-based subfolders, like abstracts, street etc. There are much better ways than this so I advise against using this system :)

• Like 4

This is what I use as well. and also the binder that Henry showed.  I write with a sharpie the month, year and camera and lens used and film if the film is not indicated on the spool edge.  I could do a lot more but I am too lazy.

I have this type of folder

attachicon.gifFeuillet Panodia 1+++500.jpg

You can find in example Panodia in Amazon

Henry

Very nice portrait!  Thanks for sharing and looking forward to seeing more!

Finally - it's late on New Year's Day over here! - a portrait taken with the Rolleiflex 2.8D - bonne nuit !

• Like 3

Thanks for posting Henry, joyeux Noel and Bonne Anne a vous et voter famille And it is great to have you back

As for Fuji they know their business but it seems odd, everywhere I turn in NYC at least film is far a dying business. It will never be what it once was, but it seems to have found its niche and thriving

Unlike some young people who aren't there I have no nostalgia for the NYC of the 70s. The crime graffiti every neighborhood store closing firms moving out. The city lost 1 million people in population and you felt it. It is a better place now. Yes more homogenized less interesting in some ways but still more it's own place that many other cities and towns.

As for London then, that was just before Big Bang and everywhere were To Let signs. The city was clearly at its lows. No need to save Covent Garden now. Like NYC London has made re pretention but it is still clearly its own place. I am there every couple of months now and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

This is what I use as well. and also the binder that Henry showed.  I write with a sharpie the month, year and camera and lens used and film if the film is not indicated on the spool edge.  I could do a lot more but I am too lazy.

Very nice portrait!  Thanks for sharing and looking forward to seeing more!

Having a tendency of being lazy when it comes to such matters in the digital domain (proof being my LR catalogue) I need to keep it simple or I will not keep up the momentum, irrespective of resolutions. I need an assistant -- Saul Leiters assistant is probably in need of a job, I'll give her a call. :)
  • Like 3

Thanks Henry.

In an ideal world it be really helpful to have contact prints for each page making referencing and visualisation easier. But unfortunately I do not have a darkroom, nor a flat bed scanner, just a Plustek and a BEOON set up. I can quickly camera scan a roll in 10 or 15 minutes and import. This will provide a visual record and the negative archive. I can Plustek scan the important ones, and /or send them out for printing. I just need to put my mind to developing a sensible cross reference which is not burdensome, but effective.

Steve , another way to range the negatives is watching one roll each time, 

like in Paterson contact print (but need enlarger and darkroom)

You need a light box (Hama or Reflecta)

and after take it with your iPhone in example and print. You can now

put it in a folder with all annotations you want.

Best

Henry

• Like 6

Henry, the scratch is on the glass, not the negative, I will be returning this piece of glass for replacement. I bought 35mm and 120 inserts for my Epson film holders, so far I'm not impressed, I'm getting a lot of newton rings, I've actually had better luck putting the negatives under ordinary picture frame glass.

Steve , send Doug a message and ask him for your glass

In my case if it's not large and important ,  I'll take a fine glass paper and I'll polish

the concerned part

Henry

• Like 2

A couple of tough construction workers in lower Manhattan -  from my walk with Mike last week...

Cinestill XX

50 DR cron, M-A

• Like 15

Men at work, Kuala Lumpur

T-Max 400, Voigtlander 28 LTM, M6

• Like 13

My experience is the same as this - Tri-X comes out straight (weighted, hanging from a clip), whilst Neopan Acros 100 turns into a clock spring.

I have only developed Kodak and Ilford films lately, in my experience Ilford is the "straightest" film to dry, while Kodak needs to dry with a weight (I even remember, where the curvature of a Kodak film snapped out while drying).

Edit - I should add I haven't used FP4 or HP5 in ages, when I used Ilford, it was Delta.

Stefan

Edited by StS
  • Like 3