The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
* * * * - 65 votes

I like film...(open thread)

• Please log in to reply
50659 replies to this topic

#44941 Doc Henry

Doc Henry

Sponsoring Member

• Premium Member
  • 23,133 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 20:24

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Hi all - New guy here. Bought an M7 0.85 about a month ago. I've only put 4 rolls through it so far due to my work schedule, but I'm enjoying the M7 and film experience (again). i was a design and film student at Parsons and shot plenty of film in the early 80's through the late 90's, including 4x5's, Mamiya 7ii, Pentax Spotmatic, Contax G, etc., but I have been 100% digital since the Canon D30 was announced in 2001.

I tried MF last year using a Kowa Six kit, but it was too much. This year, I got the bug for 35mm film and, after a quick affair with a gorgeous Yashica GX, I picked up the M7.

I just posted some photos taken with CineStill films in the "Film" forum: https://www.l-camera...ooklyn-and-nyc/

Here are a few more. All M7 + Nokton 50/1.5, and CineStill films. "CineStill" is movie film stock that has been modified for use in 35mm still cameras and normal C-41 processing. The 800T is for "Tungsten" (or Fluorescent) lighting, and low light. The 50D is Daylight balanced, and is good for bright daylight like at the beach or skiing (which is where I'll be going next!).

CineStill 800T - Art Gallery window. John St., DUMBO Brooklyn

DSC01223.jpg

Ample Hills Creamery. Pier 5, Brooklyn Bridge Park.

DSC01241.jpg

CineStill 50D - Sculpture under the Archway at Washington Square Park, NY.

DSC01206.jpg

SALE. 5th Avenue @20th St., NYC.

Flatiron Building. 5th Ave. 23rd St., NYC.

DSC01213.jpg

Hi , as I say in "I love M7"'s thread you are welcome !

Cinestill comes from movie film by Kodak isn't It gives a particular but very nice color

James or Christoph or Adam here use it.

You'll see M7 is one of the best camera IMO and as said Raymond Depardon the faster M

for street photo it's perfect IMO

Thanks for sharing

The pictures 1,2,4 are specially nice

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry, 30 December 2017 - 20:25.

• EoinC said thank you to this

#44942 Doc Henry

Doc Henry

Sponsoring Member

• Premium Member
  • 23,133 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 20:26

Hasselblad 501cm, 80 Planar, HP5 plus, Imacon 848

attachicon.gifManu a.jpg

Superb picture Josef

Thanks for posting

Best

Henry

#44943 Doc Henry

Doc Henry

Sponsoring Member

• Premium Member
  • 23,133 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 20:29

Eastern Station

Paris dec 2017

Kodak TX400-Leica MP-50 Summilux Asph

Attached File  Image6parisdec17kodtxmp+++1000.jpg   147.49KB   7 downloads

Best

Henry

• christoph_d, fotomas, Doug A and 12 others said thank you

#44944 Paul Verrips

Paul Verrips

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • City / Ort:Wapserveen, Holland

Posted 30 December 2017 - 20:43

MP, Tri Elmar @ 28 mm, Kodak BW400CN

attachicon.gifpeople_005.jpg

Excellent !

#44945 B.Toews

B.Toews

Benutzer

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • City / Ort:Ontario, Canada

Posted 30 December 2017 - 21:40

M7, Zeiss 28/2.8 Biogon, HP5, D76:

24528811967_b2aa518174_b.jpg

Untitled by Brendan | Toews, on Flickr

• christoph_d, Doc Henry, Bobitybob and 8 others said thank you

#44946 UliWer

UliWer

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 9,426 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 21:42

M6, 50mm Summilux v. 2, Fuji Velvia 100

Attached File  M6_Velvia100.jpg   344.4KB   8 downloads

• redkea, Doc Henry, fotomas and 16 others said thank you

#44947 farnz

farnz

Sponsoring Member

• Premium Member
  • 18,102 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 30 December 2017 - 23:23

The Thames between London Bridge and Tower Bridge.

Leica IIIf and Voigtländer 15/4.5 Super-wide Heliar with Tri-X.

Attached File  Reflection Thames London Bridge.jpg   507.81KB   11 downloads

• Doc Henry, helged, sblitz and 14 others said thank you
Eur. Ing. Pete F@rnsworth
Live and let live.
My tea is brewed in Russell's Teapot.

#44948 helged

helged

enjoying light, simply

• Premium Member
  • 1,508 posts
  • City / Ort:Norway

Posted 30 December 2017 - 23:38

POPULAR

Oselvar - a traditional Norwegian wooden boat, formed like a simplified, miniature version of the Viking ships. Built by my uncle in the 1960ies, by the way.

Mamiya 7, 43mm, Provia 100.

Attached Files

• christoph_d, chrism, atournas and 32 others said thank you

#44949 Guest_10511_*

Guest_10511_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2017 - 23:41

Superb picture Josef

Thanks for posting

Best

Henry

Thanks Henry

• Doc Henry said thank you to this

#44950 philipus

philipus

Film photographer

• Members
  • 4,830 posts
  • City / Ort:¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted 31 December 2017 - 00:01

Very nice winter scene Chris.

M2, 35FLE, XP2, EI 100, HC-110, X1 scan:

27577995229_6e2ee100de_c.jpg

The Road Through the Woods by chrism229, on Flickr

I agree with you that photos depicting life have more 'value' in some respect. Do you know anything about these photos?

I don't know PMK but from this it seems it's a great developer. Very nice tonality here.

Rolleiflex 3.5/75mm. FP4+ in PMK, nice combination! Although I had to bring back the head of the watering can a lot, it sure has rich blacks.

Absolutely fantastic shot. Welcome to the thread, too

attachicon.gifManu a.jpg

This is nice Patrick, great mood.

Velvia 100F

M6

Summicron 35

San Francisco September 2017

Welcome to the thread. These are nice photos. I'm personally in two minds about Cinestill. What I've shot has suffered quality-wise from strange dirt on the negs when I have received them back from the lab so I don't touch it anymore. It's unfortunate because I like the colour rendering.

Hi all - New guy here. Bought an M7 0.85 about a month ago. I've only put 4 rolls through it so far due to my work schedule, but I'm enjoying the M7 and film experience (again). i was a design and film student at Parsons and shot plenty of film in the early 80's through the late 90's, including 4x5's, Mamiya 7ii, Pentax Spotmatic, Contax G, etc., but I have been 100% digital since the Canon D30 was announced in 2001.

I tried MF last year using a Kowa Six kit, but it was too much. This year, I got the bug for 35mm film and, after a quick affair with a gorgeous Yashica GX, I picked up the M7.

I just posted some photos taken with CineStill films in the "Film" forum: https://www.l-camera...ooklyn-and-nyc/

Here are a few more. All M7 + Nokton 50/1.5, and CineStill films. "CineStill" is movie film stock that has been modified for use in 35mm still cameras and normal C-41 processing. The 800T is for "Tungsten" (or Fluorescent) lighting, and low light. The 50D is Daylight balanced, and is good for bright daylight like at the beach or skiing (which is where I'll be going next!).

DSC01223.jpg

DSC01241.jpg

DSC01206.jpg

DSC01209.jpg

DSC01213.jpg

Pete! Great to see you posting here. That's a nice inky reflection, I think. 

attachicon.gifReflection Thames London Bridge.jpg

Lovely colours and a wonderful boat, Helge. Must take quite some effort to maintain.

Oselvar - a traditional Norwegian wooden boat, formed like a simplified, miniature version of the Viking ships. Built by my uncle in the 1960ies, by the way.

• farnz, Doc Henry, helged and 1 other said thank you

philipus.com 

Film is Photography.

#44951 philipus

philipus

Film photographer

• Members
  • 4,830 posts
  • City / Ort:¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted 31 December 2017 - 00:06

Someone reading the paper in Ghent and bartender (?) in Bordeaux (plus as a bonus a micro-selfie) -- 50/1.4A Portra 160(80)

24428649607_d4996a9fae_b.jpg

Flickr

39165201101_2f2453c5a9_b.jpg

Flickr

• christoph_d, farnz, redkea and 15 others said thank you

philipus.com 

Film is Photography.

#44952 A miller

A miller

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 10,547 posts
  • LocationNew York City
  • City / Ort:New York City

Posted 31 December 2017 - 00:07

I'm working' on it, Eoin :)

Yes! - Adam's Winter Season is on. We just need some snow...

I love seeing these shots, Adam - Particularly the wind-blown furry face-frames (otherwise known as hoods).

By golly, that IS a nipple!  Love it! :)

A scantily clad gentleman Slash impersonator.

Arcachon

Flickr

50/1.4A Portra 160(80)

Hubba hubba - love this one :)

attachicon.gifManu a.jpg

Very nice results!  I especially like the last one.   Seems  like you might be a New Yorker.  I planning to go shooting in Central Park at 4am tomorrow (Sunday) to capture the snowy scenes from today's dusting if you'd like to join me...

Very nice!  
Hope you will share some more!

attachicon.gifReflection Thames London Bridge.jpg

• philipus and EoinC said thank you to this

#44953 A miller

A miller

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 10,547 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 31 December 2017 - 00:10

Someone reading the paper in Ghent and bartender (?) in Bordeaux (plus as a bonus a micro-selfie) -- 50/1.4A Portra 160(80)

Flickr

Flickr

you are killing me with those colors.  

• philipus said thank you to this

#44954 stray cat

stray cat

exposed | unexposed

• Members
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 00:22

Wow! This is a killer shot - what a superb feeling of gliding over that water! Thank you helged.

• Doc Henry, helged, Tmx and 2 others said thank you

Cheers, Phil

philipnwright.com

#44955 stray cat

stray cat

exposed | unexposed

• Members
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 00:26

POPULAR

It’s New Years Eve so perhaps you’ll bear with me. There’s a little story behind this picture…

p920695091-5.jpg

This portrait was made during the incredible workshop that I attended back in 2011, which was conducted by Mary Ellen Mark in Oaxaca, Mexico.

Mary Ellen gave us some options of places to shoot - places she’d sent attendees in the past, knowing they came back with good pictures. For me, it was a choice between the town dump and the slaughterhouse. I chose the dump. She told us we’d need gumboots, as we’d be walking in trash, so the girl I went there with, Ari, and I got our taxi to stop at a shoe shop en route. I couldn’t buy gumboots anywhere near my size so I bought the only things I could find big enough - some cheap tennis shoes.  There was a fruit shop next door to the shoe shop so we also bought water and oranges.

When we got to the dump Ari and I separated and went trudging in different directions through mountains of trash. Eventually I met this man and, as we walked, we conversed - not that I could speak Spanish, nor could he speak English - we communicated by gesture. He lived with his dogs (there’s one behind him) in a hut at the edge of the dump and worked there every day, filling large bags with stuff he might be able to sell. He graciously agreed to let me take his picture. He was (and hopefully still is) such a dignified man. I gave him my oranges and, noticing he had none, my shoes, ending my trip to the dump barefoot. Later, on hearing of this, people thought I was either crazy or incredibly kind and generous, but I just felt manifestly inadequate having made such a small gesture - it was the very least I felt I could have done. The experience of meeting this man was a very powerful one for me - he never asked me for anything - and he lived with the dignity that is so evident in this picture even though, by any standard, he had so very little.

The picture also involved technical challenges. I was using Ilford XP2 Super film, which is nominally 400ISO but can be successfully overexposed to some extent (and underexposed according to ChrisM’s fascinating experiments). It was incredibly hot and bright at the dump, and I wanted to use some fill flash so as to get some light to his face, which was well shaded by his hat. Leica M’s having just 1/50 sec as a maximum sync speed meant I had to stack the only two colour filters I had with me - a green and a yellow - on the 28mm Elmarit lens and I still had to use the minimum aperture (f16). Even then I was overexposing the box speed by two stops - effectively 100ISO. Setting my Nikon SB25 flash to half power I hoped it would all work out - and this time, fortunately, it did.

What this story illustrates perfectly to me is that photography enables us to experience so much that maybe we wouldn’t otherwise. If it weren’t for the workshop I’d probably never have gone to Mexico, and certainly never to the town dump. I’d never have met this man whose quiet dignity will forever stay with me - not just in a picture - this was a real, live experience and I can still recall us talking, and even remember the heat and the acrid stench of the dump; can almost still feel the slimy rubbish oozing through my toes after I’d passed on my shoes. I’ll never forget the lessons my short encounter with this man taught me in acceptance, dignity and humility. Hell, I’d never have met my valued mentor Mary Ellen Mark or some of the wonderful people I still maintain contact with.

It taught me why I love photography so much - working out solutions to problems, sharing unimaginable experiences with other photographers. Being IN the world and experiencing its delights, its vicissitudes and having the opportunity to come away with something tangible, personal and meaningful. A photograph.

Have a happy, healthy and fulfilling 2018.

• christoph_d, chrism, Doc Henry and 18 others said thank you

Cheers, Phil

philipnwright.com

#44956 mikemgb

mikemgb

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 2,633 posts
  • City / Ort:St. Louis

Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:33

I spent today catching up on my developing, I have 8 rolls of film and three sheets of 4x5 hanging and drying. I'm scanning one film tonight, the rest will wait until tomorrow.

Some place in Paris, November 2017, Olympus XA2, Ektar 100.

Attached File  Sheet074_003.jpg   938.81KB   10 downloads

• Doc Henry, Stealth3kpl, Bobitybob and 11 others said thank you

"Your life is a story, make it a good one"

#44957 A miller

A miller

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 10,547 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:39

Great photo packages with a very interesting story.   Thanks for sharing and wishing you and yours a happy and healthy new year!

It’s New Years Eve so perhaps you’ll bear with me. There’s a little story behind this picture…

This portrait was made during the incredible workshop that I attended back in 2011, which was conducted by Mary Ellen Mark in Oaxaca, Mexico.

Mary Ellen gave us some options of places to shoot - places she’d sent attendees in the past, knowing they came back with good pictures. For me, it was a choice between the town dump and the slaughterhouse. I chose the dump. She told us we’d need gumboots, as we’d be walking in trash, so the girl I went there with, Ari, and I got our taxi to stop at a shoe shop en route. I couldn’t buy gumboots anywhere near my size so I bought the only things I could find big enough - some cheap tennis shoes.  There was a fruit shop next door to the shoe shop so we also bought water and oranges.

When we got to the dump Ari and I separated and went trudging in different directions through mountains of trash. Eventually I met this man and, as we walked, we conversed - not that I could speak Spanish, nor could he speak English - we communicated by gesture. He lived with his dogs (there’s one behind him) in a hut at the edge of the dump and worked there every day, filling large bags with stuff he might be able to sell. He graciously agreed to let me take his picture. He was (and hopefully still is) such a dignified man. I gave him my oranges and, noticing he had none, my shoes, ending my trip to the dump barefoot. Later, on hearing of this, people thought I was either crazy or incredibly kind and generous, but I just felt manifestly inadequate having made such a small gesture - it was the very least I felt I could have done. The experience of meeting this man was a very powerful one for me - he never asked me for anything - and he lived with the dignity that is so evident in this picture even though, by any standard, he had so very little.

The picture also involved technical challenges. I was using Ilford XP2 Super film, which is nominally 400ISO but can be successfully overexposed to some extent (and underexposed according to ChrisM’s fascinating experiments). It was incredibly hot and bright at the dump, and I wanted to use some fill flash so as to get some light to his face, which was well shaded by his hat. Leica M’s having just 1/50 sec as a maximum sync speed meant I had to stack the only two colour filters I had with me - a green and a yellow - on the 28mm Elmarit lens and I still had to use the minimum aperture (f16). Even then I was overexposing the box speed by two stops - effectively 100ISO. Setting my Nikon SB25 flash to half power I hoped it would all work out - and this time, fortunately, it did.

What this story illustrates perfectly to me is that photography enables us to experience so much that maybe we wouldn’t otherwise. If it weren’t for the workshop I’d probably never have gone to Mexico, and certainly never to the town dump. I’d never have met this man whose quiet dignity will forever stay with me - not just in a picture - this was a real, live experience and I can still recall us talking, and even remember the heat and the acrid stench of the dump; can almost still feel the slimy rubbish oozing through my toes after I’d passed on my shoes. I’ll never forget the lessons my short encounter with this man taught me in acceptance, dignity and humility. Hell, I’d never have met my valued mentor Mary Ellen Mark or some of the wonderful people I still maintain contact with.

It taught me why I love photography so much - working out solutions to problems, sharing unimaginable experiences with other photographers. Being IN the world and experiencing its delights, its vicissitudes and having the opportunity to come away with something tangible, personal and meaningful. A photograph.

Have a happy, healthy and fulfilling 2018.

Very nice, Mike, particularly from that little Oly :)

I spent today catching up on my developing, I have 8 rolls of film and three sheets of 4x5 hanging and drying. I'm scanning one film tonight, the rest will wait until tomorrow.

Some place in Paris, November 2017, Olympus XA2, Ektar 100.

attachicon.gifSheet074_003.jpg

• stray cat, EoinC and mikemgb said thank you to this

#44958 mikemgb

mikemgb

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 2,633 posts
  • City / Ort:St. Louis

Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:45

Great photo packages with a very interesting story.   Thanks for sharing and wishing you and yours a happy and healthy new year!

Very nice, Mike, particularly from that little Oly :)

I've been on the fence about this camera as a daily pocket camera, I haven't been happy with the couple of rolls of black and white I have put through it but this Ektar seems to suit it.

I hope to post a bunch of photos tomorrow, you may recognize some of them. :)

• A miller and EoinC said thank you to this

"Your life is a story, make it a good one"

#44959 A miller

A miller

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 10,547 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:51

I've been on the fence about this camera as a daily pocket camera, I haven't been happy with the couple of rolls of black and white I have put through it but this Ektar seems to suit it.

I hope to post a bunch of photos tomorrow, you may recognize some of them. :)

looking forward.  I am scanning some from our walk right now :)

• mikemgb said thank you to this

#44960 A miller

A miller

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 10,547 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:54

POPULAR

Wishing everyone a healthy and happy new year, filled with success, good times and good photography!

Here is one of my favorites from 2017.  I shared a version of this last Spring, but I managed to go back before the sculpture was taken down for a proper "blue hour", which I think works much better than my first attempt :) :)

Park Avenue, NYC

Ektar (6x9)

Linhof Technika Press 23

53mm Zeiss Biogon

Attached File  Happy New Year.jpg   859.43KB   19 downloads

• redkea, lookbook, Doc Henry and 20 others said thank you

5 user(s) are reading this topic

Steve Ricoh, Fotoklaus, DDA_1966, Boojay