I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 18 Stunden schrieb A miller:

@sblitz had a good idea to post an old time photo of an old time classic entertainer in honor of tonight's Oscar Awards.

Here's the great Ed Sullivan about 50 years ago at a dinner than was held for him at the Friar's Club in  honor of his 20th year in television.

The film was Kodak Safety of some kind on a 6x7 negative taken with "my" Linhof Technika Press 23 :)

The right edge is screwed up from the scanning.  I have to fix that!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Apart from the photo I am really astonished by the colors, light and shadows. Do you (or your father?) store this photo in an album or what did you do to get such a quality 50 years after the phot was taken? I am sure my digital phots will not look as good as this one in 50 years

• Like 3

21 hours ago, AntonioF said:

the last picture is the best shot... people gives another feeling to the picture.

• Like 5

Nope, I have no idea either!  M7, 135mm APO-Telyt-M, Tri-X, Rodinal.

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, christoph_d said:

Another Fomapan 400 example. Snowstorm in Dresden...

MP, 50, Foma400

Rgds

Christoph

Christoph - this is an amazing picture. Technically, to have such detail in the light bulb as well as what feels more like a presence that anything else of that looming figure of the tower in the background is quite astounding. The tension evoked by these two motifs is palpable. The snow or sleet, too, is coming at what I could only regard as the "perfect" angle to serve the high emotional intensity of the scene. But it is the overall "feel" of the picture that is its real strength - it is saturated with an atmosphere that makes me think it would be such a great establishing shot in a film noir classic. Just brilliant.

3 hours ago, Ernest said:

Google Newsflash:

The prices of Fujifilm’s photographic films will jump by at least 30% from current prices. Affected films include Fujicolor negative films (C200, Superia X-TRA400, and Pro 400H), Fujichrome color reversal(AKA slide) films (Velvia 50, Velvia 100, Provia 100F), Quick Snap disposable cameras, and control strips.

Not so cheering, Rog 🎬

Ditto on the price increases for Tarkovsky Polaroids. I paid $28 for mine  in 2008,  now priced at $200-$400, used.  Not to moan, Trent Parke books are listed $500 to $5,000.

Thank you, Rog, for the heads up on Fuji pricing. One is indeed going to have to be a true enthusiast to use film, and perhaps the major manufacturers have decided that is where any future market will be - those prepared to pay silly money. Ah well, I'd rather it be available albeit at a high cost rather than see it disappear altogether.

Photobooks - certain of them - can obviously be an excellent investment! Now what's the magic formula for picking the right ones... sell a book every so often in order to buy film!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

47 minutes ago, benqui said:

M6, Apo 90, Tmax 3200 (with ISO 1600)

This is, and I mean it in the literal term, simply beautiful. As is your strength, Marc, you have caught the moment of a thoughtful and intimate, albeit inscrutable expression and, importantly, the field in which your delightful model is set adds an almost subliminal structural integrity, thereby reinforcing the strength of the picture. Wonderful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, benqui said:

Apart from the photo I am really astonished by the colors, light and shadows. Do you (or your father?) store this photo in an album or what did you do to get such a quality 50 years after the phot was taken? I am sure my digital phots will not look as good as this one in 50 years

Thank, Marc.  I literally found my father's archive in our ATTIC in TEXAS about 8 year ago.  They had been there for a few decades.  Do you know how hot it gets in Texas in the summer time?  Think 105F daily as an average.  The negatives were simply kept in individual wax paper sleeves in a file drawer.  It took me over two years to scan in each negative.   I think we can all rest assured that our negatives will age just fine :)

3 hours ago, benqui said:

M6, Apo 90, Tmax 3200 (with ISO 1600)

Stunning, Marc, in its simplicity yet arresting power. 😍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

15 hours ago, Doc Henry said:

Red * is for Adam, Philipus, Gary and All  FILM lovers , I say FILM  huh !  🙂

VN New Year 2019

Portra 400-Leica M-A-35 Summilux Asph

Best   H  the "can's worms"  who loves and shoots only Film

* ...and colors

Great colors Henry.....looking forward to seeing some poppies :)

16 hours ago, Doc Henry said:

Red * is for Adam, Philipus, Gary and All  FILM lovers , I say FILM  huh !  🙂

VN New Year 2019

Portra 400-Leica M-A-35 Summilux Asph

Best   H  the "can's worms"  who loves and shoots only Film

* ...and colors

Hello Henry,

Nice photo.

Are you sending this from UTC +7?

Best Regards,

Michael

15 minutes ago, A miller said:

Thank, Marc.  I literally found my father's archive in our ATTIC in TEXAS about 8 year ago.  They had been there for a few decades.  Do you know how hot it gets in Texas in the summer time?  Think 105F daily as an average.  The negatives were simply kept in individual wax paper sleeves in a file drawer.  It took me over two years to scan in each negative.   I think we can all rest assured that our negatives will age just fine :)

Hello Adam & Marc,

If the photo had been taken 20+ years before the time that Adam thinks that it was then it might have been done on Kodachrome which was available in larger sizes then.

I have seen large format Kodachromes from the 1940's and they look like you did them yesterday.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

Man I wish I had held more steady 😫

Greenwich Village 

• Like 12
  • Haha 6

Goerz Minicord, Helgor 25/2, DoubleX, 16mm

• Like 16

Buying a horse.

R9 with 90mm Summicron R

Vista 200

Gary

• Like 19

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Adrian Lord:

^ brilliant.

Thank you Adrian!

vor 9 Stunden schrieb stray cat:

This is, and I mean it in the literal term, simply beautiful. As is your strength, Marc, you have caught the moment of a thoughtful and intimate, albeit inscrutable expression and, importantly, the field in which your delightful model is set adds an almost subliminal structural integrity, thereby reinforcing the strength of the picture. Wonderful.

Your words are much appreciated! This is also one of my favorite portraits and strictly speaking I do not exactly why. To me the most interesting part is really her expression.

vor 6 Stunden schrieb A miller:

Glad you like it Adam!

vor 6 Stunden schrieb A miller:

Last Wednesday in Soho 💪

Portra 400 

Wow I see that as a cool New Yorker you relly need some fur on your coat!

vor 5 Stunden schrieb A miller:

Man I wish I had held more steady 😫

Greenwich Village 

Sometimes we are just weak men!

Edited by benqui
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, saiche said:

the last picture is the best shot... people gives another feeling to the picture.

I had to wait for them to move into the frame. When you don't want people in your shots and they have picnics in front of you, but when you want them, they run away ...

• Haha 2

Film study:

For anyone interested in the durability of B&W film. I have read of the staying power of low ISO B&W emulsions and have moved forward with checking it out. This was produced with a Goerz Minicord, 16mm sub miniature camera (negative is about the size of the nail on your index finger) using Agfa Isopan FF film, expired 1966. Shot at ISO 12. It was purchased out of Bulgaria so no record or assurance of cold storage. Developed in Rodinal 1/100 for one hour, stand. I'm impressed. :)

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Wayne said:

Film study:

For anyone interested in the durability of B&W film. I have read of the staying power of low ISO B&W emulsions and have moved forward with checking it out. This was produced with a Goerz Minicord, 16mm sub miniature camera (negative is about the size of the nail on your index finger) using Agfa Isopan FF film, expired 1966. Shot at ISO 12. It was purchased out of Bulgaria so no record or assurance of cold storage. Developed in Rodinal 1/100 for one hour, stand. I'm impressed. :)

Wayne ..."developed in Rodinal 1/100 for one hour" great patience , great work and nice result !

Best H

• Like 1