Doc Henry

I like film...(open thread)

3 hours ago, A miller said:

Look what we had yesterday for about 30 minutes - it was called the POLAR VORTEX - and I was in it and shot a roll....😛

To be continued... 

Fedora Man and the Polar Vortex!

I look forward to that installment!

This one for me Phil, it's a terrific reportage style portrait.

br

Philip

4 hours ago, stray cat said:

Railway workshop, Queenscliff 2019

M6TTL, 28mm Elmarit, yellow filter, Adox Silvermax 100

23 minutes ago, philipus said:

This one for me Phil, it's a terrific reportage style portrait.

br

Philip

Thank you very much for your kind thoughts, Philip. I love the exposure to enhance the backlighting on your sunny plant (though it seems to have a bad case of brewer's droop!).

2 hours ago, stray cat said:

Actually, now I'm undecided - which (if either) would you choose?

(details are the same)

I’d chose the other one, for all the named reasons. It’s closed in itself. Nevertheless, in a series this one could be nice as well. The line of sight leading via the edge of the table to ... the next picture. 

Hope you are not sweltering too much down there,

Christoph

Edited by christoph_d

Thanks so much, Christoph - a nice thought about sequencing that I hadn't considered.

Judging by the way the rest of the world is going, we're not doing too badly here close to Melbourne - though it's dry - we really need some decent rain soon. It's diabolical, though, in much of the country. I hope it's not too freezing there in the Netherlands, and where our other Northern hemisphere contributors are.

What a crazy world.

Edited by stray cat

3 hours ago, stray cat said:

Actually, now I'm undecided - which (if either) would you choose?

(details are the same)

tough choice, Phil.  I agree that having them as a series would be ideal.  But if I had to choose I'd choose the second, on the reasoning that:

1.  the first looks a little like he is wearing a bib b/c of the white thing (which in the second photo is the white piece of paper sticking out of the box behind him) that looks to be coming out of his neck (like it is the bib tied in a knot)

2.  My eyes are drawn to his rather large stomach in the second, which adds to his character (you may even try opening the shadows on his belly just a tad)

3.  I also like Christoph's point about the angle of the edge of the table having a slightly strong composition.

4.  I like the figure of the little chubby man with the beard and hat on the table on the far right, which looks a lot like that man! :)

13 minutes ago, Steve Ricoh said:

MX 135 f/3.5, HP5+ EI1600

'Dutch' Building

A very nice slice of architecture Steve. Where was it shot?

Who would have thought there were oil pumps on Gotland? There was actually attempts at drilling for oil on the island but they were largely unsuccessful. I remember in the '90s driving to the northern tip of the island where my regiment was located and seeing these things working along the road at a few places. This pump, which according to the little sign is from Claremore, Oklahoma, stands on Fårö doing nothing but look cool and quite a bit out of place.

Flickr
Nikkor-H 85/1.8 pre-AI Portra 160 (EI100) X1

16 minutes ago, philipus said:

A very nice slice of architecture Steve. Where was it shot?

Thanks Philip. That was shot in Liverpool with a bit of a Dutch angle thrown in for good measure. (I read somewhere that rotating the camera can make the ordinary look artistic :) ) It's a place I visit occasionally for the city life.

23 hours ago, sixteen pads said:

2 weeks ago , quite on a whim I bought the final Barnack, the IIIg. Not expecting much but excited none the less I waited for the package to arrive. The camera arrived, beautiful and with what felt very little "life" use. I went out the next day to proceed with my traditional test roll. At first the dual finder situation felt weird and very new, but as the roll went I started feeling quite at home with this so simple and classic design. I shot the roll with my usually stored away 50mm f2 collapsible Summar which sort of had waited all his life at my home to be put on the IIIG cause I had never shown it enough attention or love. 

Long story short, I processed the roll yesterday and scanned at night. I must say I was very happy how it turned out. I almost feel the framing of the shots is more on point that wth my other Leicas, maybe I was giving it more attention when working its RF. Focus usually spot on. Mechanical operation super smooth. I am sold !

Attached are some of the images from the test roll. Sorry for the amount of shots but I am just happy with a lot of them. And I thought I would share. 

How has your experience been with the Barnacks compared to the M's ? 
Thanks for reading!. 

Nice shots! They really make me want to get a Summar for the IIIc I own! 😀 I've always been afraid of the stories about the softness of that lens! Last summer I bought an Elmar 50/3.5 but i found out it was soft and foggy, so I got rid of it.

I really like shooting with the IIIc (either with a Industar 22 or a Canon 50/1.4), but in reality I rarely do it. I don't mind using two separate finders, but the parallax error and the necessity to compensate for close shots is a little bit of a turndown. Other than that, the camera feels great in my hands. 

2 hours ago, Steve Ricoh said:

MX 135 f/3.5, HP5+ EI1600

'Dutch' Building

Brilliant, Steve.  I just love it!  The pushing was the right choice for this shot, too.  Really one of your best!

1 hour ago, A miller said:

Brilliant, Steve.  I just love it!  The pushing was the right choice for this shot, too.  Really one of your best!

Thanks Adam. And to think it was overlooked until I was cleaning up the mess from the cutting room floor.