I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

6 minutes ago, Kleinkamera said:

Grapevine Bar, Dallas, Texas c. 2004

M6 TTL / Summicron 35 / Tri-X

James

James - you should know that in 1990 we had a mug slinging Friday night at the Grapevine High School stadium.  As an offensive lineman, I particularly was in heaven.  I Can't remember the final score - but we (Mac Arthur High School) won by a lot :)

Edited by A miller
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stray cat said:

Yes, Rog, I'm very glad indeed that you compiled this well-seen, perceived and executed triptych. Proving a) that orange is, indeed, the new black; b) that oranges and lemons, say the bells of St. Clements, are always a pleasing combination and c) this is not at all boring.

Oh, this does appeal to my macabre  sentiment, “Chip chop, Chip chop.” Thanks for your ever illuminating wit, sending me to Google to add yet another page from the 18th century. “Orange is, indeed, the new black.“  Now, Adam would turn that upside down and give us “black is the new orange.“  I always come back to the adage of designers that “you cannot afford to be boring.“  A challenging line to tow.  I really admire what you are doing with the 28 mm  Elmarit and your latest  portfolio of workers.  I am anxiously awaiting delivery of Bruce Davidson: Lesser Known, another one of your recommendations, which I really appreciate.  I am still mulling over Trent Parke’s perspective in his work.

Cheers, Rog 🎬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, A miller said:

James - you should know that in 1990 we had a mug slinging Friday night at the Grapevine High School stadium.  As an offensive lineman, I particularly was in heaven.  I Can't remember the final score - but we (Mac Arthur High School) won by a lot :)

LOL I can assure you this Grapevine (pictured) was no place for HS students! I spent far too many hours here getting intoxicated... but it yielded many photos of the colorful characters who frequented the place.

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, A miller said:

This is FANTASTIC!  Love it.  Is that a "border wall" of some kind? :)

There’s an army area, the picture is taken from the hiking area.

Edited by MattiR
the word was missing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, Wayne said:

So I stop in at Howie's for eggs and a ham steak. Took a couple shots with the Bolsey Model C to finish of a roll of Fuji Superia 100. Opened the camera up on the table to load a roll of Foma 100. At exactly that time my pleasant young waitress "M" shows up with the food and enthusiastically asked:...."What's that?" I told her it as a film camera made in the 1950s and that it was a hobby of mine to shoot film in old cameras. She took off to take another order. But she came back:..."I'm seriously interested in this." So, I let her check it out. She was very interested in getting her photograph taken. On the way out, after "M" had spoken to her co-worker, I had a chance to shoot one of the two of them.

I think film has a future. When I showed her a couple scans on my Iphone, the response was:...."That's so cool. So much better."

Bolsey Model C (TLR/RF,) Wollensak 44/3.2 Anastigmat, Foma 100

What a great story Wayne. And the second photo is particularly excellent. 

7 hours ago, A miller said:

Another from last week, reattaching the negative for a side-by-side comparison :)

Portra 400 ♥️

Very nice Adam. Somehow the blizzard looks even more fierce on the neg.

5 hours ago, stray cat said:

workbench 2019

M6TTL, 28mm Elmarit, Adox Silvermax 100

Phil, thanks for yet another excellent environmental portrait. I'm seriously interested in Silvermax as a result of your wonderful photos.

3 hours ago, Kleinkamera said:

Grapevine Bar, Dallas, Texas c. 2004

M6 TTL / Summicron 35 / Tri-X

James

It looks like Jeff Bezos :)

1 hour ago, gbealnz said:

The beauty of travel, a charming local, putting up with a camera-laden tourist. Local speaks only Italian, tourist speaks only English.

We "conversed" for ages.

R6 with 90 Summicron

Ektar 100

Gary

Excellent Gary. It's often easy as a tourist to focus only on the sights and forget the locals.

Edited by philipus
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, philipus said:

Very nice Adam. Somehow the blizzard looks even more fierce on the neg.

Phil, thanks for yet another excellent environmental portrait. I'm seriously interested in Silvermax as a result of your wonderful photos.

It looks like Jeff Bezos :)

Excellent Gary. It's often easy as a tourist to focus only on the sights and forget the locals.

Jeff Bezos? Here was I thinking that James (kleinkamera) had tracked down Colonel Kurtz!

I must admit I've been pretty impressed with the Silvermax, too, especially in lower light. They were from my last three rolls - I think I'll be using more of it as well. Thanks so much for your kind words, Philip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ernest said:

Oh, this does appeal to my macabre  sentiment, “Chip chop, Chip chop.” Thanks for your ever illuminating wit, sending me to Google to add yet another page from the 18th century. “Orange is, indeed, the new black.“  Now, Adam would turn that upside down and give us “black is the new orange.“  I always come back to the adage of designers that “you cannot afford to be boring.“  A challenging line to tow.  I really admire what you are doing with the 28 mm  Elmarit and your latest  portfolio of workers.  I am anxiously awaiting delivery of Bruce Davidson: Lesser Known, another one of your recommendations, which I really appreciate.  I am still mulling over Trent Parke’s perspective in his work.

Cheers, Rog 🎬

Thanks so much, Rog. Yes, Oranges and Lemons was a favorite throughout my childhood. I love that last verse:

Here comes a candle to light you to bed,
And here comes a chopper to chop off your head!
Chip chop chip chop the last man is dead.

Perfect bedtime fare for children!

I thoroughly enjoyed the two Ralph Gibson books you recommended - Self Exposure a little moreso than Refractions - and will continue to reference them. He is certainly someone who has been front and center for all sorts of incredible experiences throughout his life, from his father being an assistant director to Hitchcock through his long career and his liaisons with an amazing array of artists. I found "Self-Exposure" perhaps a little "self-serving", in that I gained the distinct impression that he wants to be remembered as someone who perhaps contributed a little more than he actually did, as I think much of his later work is perhaps a little generic - derivative of his earlier work - but, having said that, his earlier work is quite brilliant.

And thank you for mentioning that little 28mm Elmarit. I love that little lens, and realized I hadn't been using it as much as I should, so "made" myself put it to work. It is such a great lens for those sorts of environmental pictures.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, }{B said:

Leica M7 & 50mm Summar - Ilford Delta100 & yellow filter

This is lovely, Howard. The low angle ensures all of those wonderful textures are there to give it a real tactility. And Gary will be pleased to note that a yellow filter has been used appropriately! Is this in the Lake District?

Edited by stray cat
  • Like 2

Art. Practical use.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Bolsey Model C, 44/3.2 Wollensak, Foma 100

• Like 14

13 hours ago, benqui said:

Tmax 400 pushed up to 800, Apo 90, M4

I'm not really keen on tattoos and consider it to be disfigurement of the skin - there are exceptions, however. 😉

Lovely photograph of a gorgeous model!

PS Is she single?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Juggler, Denver CO

IIIf / Summicron 90

• Like 18

9 hours ago, Kleinkamera said:

LOL I can assure you this Grapevine (pictured) was no place for HS students! I spent far too many hours here getting intoxicated... but it yielded many photos of the colorful characters who frequented the place.

James

Very funny, James.  And there i thought you were from the “hood” :) 

Austin is still a place that I know well :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sharif said:

Double Bass

Intrepid 4x5 MK II, Rodenstock Sironar-N 5.6/150, Ilford FP4@400 in Ilfotec LC29 and my 120 years old 1/1 double bass from Mittenwald – heavily used …

Sharif

Part of this reminds me of Gibson's photo

• Thanks 1