I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

KunstHistorisches Museum, Wien.  Contax G2, Contax 35-70mm, Fujichrome.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 13

Am 1.2.2019 um 16:29 schrieb A miller:

One from our 30 minute vortex blizzard this past Thursday 😁 vs 🤨

NYC

Portra 400 

M7, 28 elmarit pre-asph

Great shot! And, the Fedora man makes pretty girls smiling,a real superpower!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

vor 20 Stunden schrieb Cyril Jayant:

This is a fabulous photo benqui :) I have heard about this film before it was to be introduced and the photos and the colors were very different. I highly believe the lens you used is  also  contribute to  a greater effect as far as the quality concern. I love this colors.

Thank you Cyril, glad you like it! It was the first time that I used this film for daylight portraits. I only used the Apo 50 and 90 for this shooting therefore I do not have a comparison to other lenses. But I think (at least as far as I have read) a clue is also to use ISO 500 instead of 800.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, philipus said:

These two are sublime Phil. What wonderful light exciting compositions. Btw, I see Adox has been bought by Silverfast :D 

It's a lovely island well worth visiting. If you ever venture further south and happen to be in The Hague do let me know.

Thanks so much, Philip - I really appreciate that. And doh! I think I mixed up some names along the way! 🙄

6 hours ago, Kleinkamera said:

Phil, I'm curious what developer you are using with the Silvermax film. The Silvermax-specific one or some other?

James

Thanks James - I use XTOL 1:1 for just about everything black and white. I've always found the times on the Massive Developer Chart to be perfect for a variety of films. BTW superb mountain peak print above!

• Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

35 minutes ago, stray cat said:

Thanks James - I use XTOL 1:1 for just about everything black and white. I've always found the times on the Massive Developer Chart to be perfect for a variety of films. BTW superb mountain peak print above!

Thank you for your kind comment. Along with Rodinal, I also like XTOL quite a lot... just mixed up a fresh 5L batch a few days ago.

James

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wayne said:

So I stop in at Howie's for eggs and a ham steak. Took a couple shots with the Bolsey Model C to finish of a roll of Fuji Superia 100. Opened the camera up on the table to load a roll of Foma 100. At exactly that time my pleasant young waitress "M" shows up with the food and enthusiastically asked:...."What's that?" I told her it as a film camera made in the 1950s and that it was a hobby of mine to shoot film in old cameras. She took off to take another order. But she came back:..."I'm seriously interested in this." So, I let her check it out. She was very interested in getting her photograph taken. On the way out, after "M" had spoken to her co-worker, I had a chance to shoot one of the two of them.

I think film has a future. When I showed her a couple scans on my Iphone, the response was:...."That's so cool. So much better."

Bolsey Model C (TLR/RF,) Wollensak 44/3.2 Anastigmat, Foma 100

That's such an uplifting experience and story, Wayne. Hopefully M will be inspired to try some film photography. It is the young who seem to want to try something alternative to the mainstream. Perhaps the process and expense will put off many, but I feel those things could also work very well in favor of people using film - it is so different to what everyone else is doing, and a little elite. These are lovely portraits, incidentally - and I hope you managed to catch Elvis playing that night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stray cat said:

That's such an uplifting experience and story, Wayne. Hopefully M will be inspired to try some film photography. It is the young who seem to want to try something alternative to the mainstream. Perhaps the process and expense will put off many, but I feel those things could also work very well in favor of people using film - it is so different to what everyone else is doing, and a little elite. These are lovely portraits, incidentally - and I hope you managed to catch Elvis playing that night.

It is kind of funny: As I was processing the film, I thought about the second photo of the train tech. I must have had an expression close to his when "M" took an interest in some grizzled old guy farting around with equipment long past its era:........"What! You have an interest in what I am doing." :)

• Haha 4

On 2/1/2019 at 4:51 PM, philipus said:

Flickr
55/2.8 Micro-Nikkor Gold 200 X1

Beautiful, Philip.  You are really a master at these shots!

On 2/1/2019 at 6:13 PM, stray cat said:

This is wonderful, Adam - two figures, two quite different expressions giving the picture quite a tension as our eyes shift from one to the other. The colors are fabulous, too - of course. Both your pushed Ektachromes and Portras serve you very well out there in the cold city, giving a contrasting and welcome Kodak warmth to the humans portrayed.

Thank you also for your thoughtful comments on my "railway restorer" portraits. I somehow think his workmates thought the little gnome statue is the spitting image of him too!

Thanks, Phil!  It so interesting to me that I barely even see what I am shooting in the moment and really have to do a little imagining of what is out there.  Then, I get back the film and am quite surprised at how much my lens  actually saw (with a little help from the flash)!  

23 hours ago, Cyril Jayant said:

Another signature shot Adam. This is amazing and a beautiful capture. What technic did you apply on this? Is it zone focusing or you adjust the focusing instantaneously on every shot ( and that is what I do. I can't cope with zone focusing/ You don't have to answer. I am just talking to myself.🤔

Thanks, Cyril!  I actually zone focus pretty much all the time out there.  I know this lens really well and have gotten pretty good at flicking the ring back and forth to the right place.  It really comes in handy :)

22 hours ago, Cyril Jayant said:

This is one of my favorite films Fuji Velvia 50.   

This film is very vibrant through Hasselblad lenses. It of course if you use it with right lighting and subjects to go with. Blad 203Fe  / 60-120mm Monster lens 

wow, stunning colors!!  Love that Velvia 50

20 hours ago, stray cat said:

Carnival 2019

M2, 50mm collapsible Elmar (from 1965), Adox Silverfast 100

Love this one, Phil.  From the delicate contrast to the sun kiss.  Has a youthful feel to it that is a pleasure to view.

18 hours ago, gbealnz said:

More Ektar with the R6. 50 Summicron and 90 Summicron.

Gary

wow, love them, Gary, especially the first with the burst of colors

17 hours ago, philipus said:

I know there are a few petrol heads among us (Eoin, are you back from your trip?) so here's one for you, again from Fårö last summer (same roll as earlier, with the 55 Micro).

Flickr

love this palette, Philip. 

11 hours ago, MattiR said:

Fuji GSW690 II 65mm f/5.6, Kodak Tri-X 400

This is FANTASTIC!  Love it.  Is that a "border wall" of some kind? :)

8 hours ago, Kleinkamera said:

McHenry's Peak, Rocky Mountains

IIIb / Summar / FP4+ / 8x10 print

James

Wow, this knocked me out of my chair, James.  And then I got back in and saw the camera you used and fell out of my chair again! :)  Deserving of some kind of Barnack award, for sure!

2 hours ago, benqui said:

Great shot! And, the Fedora man makes pretty girls smiling,a real superpower!!!

Ha ha, yes, that's right, Marc LOL 🤣

1 hour ago, benqui said:

Tmax 400 pushed up to 800, Apo 90, M4

STUNNING, Marc!  Each one is better than the next.  This one has so many things to love.  The model, grain, contrast, POV, how you directed her to such a pose.  I am so happy that you have dedicated yourself to all-film.  I think it will give you that distinguishing edge that should, if marketed right, make you a magnet for beautiful models all over the world who will want you to shoot them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Still Life on Main.

Bolsey Model C, Wollensak 44/3.2 Anastigmat, Foma 100

• Like 17

Orange You Glad Triptych
M-A APO 50mm E100

An exercise with just walls and a store window. Maybe a bit boring, but it's quiet.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Ernest said:

Orange You Glad Triptych
M-A APO 50mm E100

An exercise with just walls and a store window. Maybe a bit boring, but it's quiet.

Yes, Rog, I'm very glad indeed that you compiled this well-seen, perceived and executed triptych. Proving a) that orange is, indeed, the new black; b) that oranges and lemons, say the bells of St. Clements, are always a pleasing combination and c) this is not at all boring.

Edited by stray cat
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Austin, Texas c. 2008

Mamiya RB67

• Like 17