I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Had to pop into Malmesbury on Tuesday & having done what needed to be done, I had 3/4hr to wander around with R5, 60mm Macro Elmarit-R and a roll of Tri-X.  The next day a visit to Swindon saw the film finished off, some with the 21-35mm Vario Elmar.  These two in Malmesbury with the 60mm.  Developed before breakfast this morning and just scanned. Stand by for more!  :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 17

3 hours ago, philipus said:

So last summer I am on the lovely island of Gotland returning home from a day at the beach and come across a marvellous large field of buttercups with a number of proud poppies scattered throughout. It's a truly fantastic scene made vividly colourful in the afternoon sun. Car screeches to a halt and out charges a photographer with various cameras, a tripod and a camera bag in hand. Oh boy oh boy oh boy, what a scene, is all that goes through my head.

And then I get the film back and this is the result :huh: I must have forgotten to change the ISO when changing rolls and so underexposed by quite a bit. Plus the supreme beings of photography wherever they may be have also made sure to include a light leak at lower right (which thankfully and mysteriously has never since shown up again) and some big flare or something at top right.

Nevertheless it's an interesting if strange photo. And I still have the vivid recollection in my mind so all was not lost after all.

That Forrest Gump thing about a box of chocolate springs to mind.

Flickr
FM3A 55/2.8 Micro-Nikkor Gold 200 X1

Very vintage picture Philip and like a painting ....  I like much

Best H

5 hours ago, philipus said:

So last summer I am on the lovely island of Gotland returning home from a day at the beach and come across a marvellous large field of buttercups with a number of proud poppies scattered throughout. It's a truly fantastic scene made vividly colourful in the afternoon sun. Car screeches to a halt and out charges a photographer with various cameras, a tripod and a camera bag in hand. Oh boy oh boy oh boy, what a scene, is all that goes through my head.

And then I get the film back and this is the result :huh: I must have forgotten to change the ISO when changing rolls and so underexposed by quite a bit. Plus the supreme beings of photography wherever they may be have also made sure to include a light leak at lower right (which thankfully and mysteriously has never since shown up again) and some big flare or something at top right.

Nevertheless it's an interesting if strange photo. And I still have the vivid recollection in my mind so all was not lost after all.

Flickr

If your camera was functioning properly and the ISO set right, you would’ve ended up with just a pretty picture.

This way, you got art.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ships and boats theme Halifax different days Ektar Contax 70-300 @ 300

• Like 9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And closer Ektar Contax 24-85

• Like 11

Boat Ektar @300mm Contax 70-300

• Like 12

On 1/24/2019 at 3:36 AM, Keith (M) said:

Neptune looking down from on high. NT DyrhamPark.  Hasselblad 500C, 80mm Planar, Ektar100. 

Love this picture Keith. The sky and the statue mutually reinforce a kind of timeless classicism - it's really atmospheric and quite moving.

9 hours ago, philipus said:

That is a very strong portrait Phil, and perfectly executed, well done. Have you done or considered doing a follow-up project of the persons you photographed?

br

Philip

Thanks so much Philip! I hadn't considered a follow-up project but that is a really great idea - thank you!

9 hours ago, philipus said:

Flickr

I agree with Doc and Oldwino, Philip - this works particularly well in unexpected ways. Only film gives us these "happy accidents"!

• Thanks 3

Snow/Roof Abstract 2 

IIIc / Hexanon 50/2.4 / Kentmere 400 / Xtol replenished

• Like 14

On 1/22/2019 at 12:23 PM, A miller said:

I am still waiting for our first killer snow blizzard this year.  😴

In the meantime, I have just had an interview regarding my series published on the LFI blog:

https://lfi-online.de/ceemes/en/blog/adam-miller-winter-in-new-york-1789.html

Have a look! :)

I am scheduled to take over the LFI Instagram account this weekend during which I will be posting 4-6 of my images on their feed.  I probably will stick to the theme of blizzards and so if anyone has any personal favorites they'd like to suggest and help me curate that would be much appreciated!

Congratulation Adam, it is a great series of photos and a very nice interview.:) I am glad and appreciate that your interview represents a great community of analog photographers how are still devoted to negative and be still on doing photography.    

Edited by Cyril Jayant
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, stray cat said:

I just wanted to share that today I was able to visit the new Leica Store and Gallery in Melbourne. A very nice, spacious well set-out store, and a little oasis from the ridiculous heat we're experiencing. The inaugural exhibition, which finishes in a couple of days, is by Magnum identity Bruce Gilden - the first time he's been exhibited here according to the very charming store manager). Gilden spent nine days here back in 2011 photographing a local "colorful identity" (ie thug/gangster) with his M6 using Tri-X. The 30" X 40" prints are on Ilford glossy neutral-toned fibre-based paper and look absolutely fantastic. I was so pleased that their first exhibition turned out to be such a fillip for Leica analogue gear! A good time was had by all.

https://lfi-online.de/ceemes/en/blog/bruce-gilden-at-the-leica-gallery-melbourne-1739.html

Thanks for sharing that, Phil.  It is an amazing display!  Can't say I am in love with the photographs (he doesn't impress me in general).  But the size and tasteful presentation of images is a testament to your local Leica franchise.

16 hours ago, stray cat said:

Oh, I don't know. I think it depends how much you like looking at grain. I have a 1m X 1.5m print of the following portrait at home (hanging in the garage which is the only place it will fit!) and I think it looks just dandy - the detail (eyelashes etc) holds together remarkably well. The print was made by our son James from the drum scan I've copied here - it was taken for an exhibition on the theme of homeless people my niece and I mounted as part of the Ballarat International Foto Biennale in 2011:

Amanda, Collingwood 2011

Leica M6TTL, 90mm Summicron, Tri-X

This is awesome.  Lots of soul here.  Where exactly did you come across this woman?

12 hours ago, philipus said:

Flickr

It's a gem, Philip.  You made lemonade out lemons!

10 hours ago, sixteen pads said:

Lady in Red

Lisbon. M6 / 50cron / fuji200

A very strong photograph, Josh.  In your cinematic style. 

16 minutes ago, Cyril Jayant said:

Congratulation Adam, it is a great series of photos and a very nice interview.:) I am glad and appreciate that your interview represents a great community of analog photographers how are still devoted to negative and be still on doing photography.    

Many thanks, Cyril!  Yes, I agree and don't know that Leica does interviews on all-film photographers all that much.  But hopefully this will stir the pot!  I am getting lots of indications that it is!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, A miller said:

This is awesome.  Lots of soul here.  Where exactly did you come across this woman?

Thank you so much Adam. Amanda is a sweet woman who was a regular visitor to The Wellington, a wonderful welfare group in inner Melbourne that helps homeless people. Unfortunately Amanda's life had followed a rather horrible path of which I'm sure we are all familiar, though not (hopefully) through personal experience. A willing participant at first, she then decided she wanted nothing to do with the project, hence I still have the print.

Congratulations on your assignment to host the LFI instagram over the weekend. Fedora Man gains control mwahahahaha!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stray cat said:

Thank you so much Adam. Amanda is a sweet woman who was a regular visitor to The Wellington, a wonderful welfare group in inner Melbourne that helps homeless people. Unfortunately Amanda's life had followed a rather horrible path of which I'm sure we are all familiar, though not (hopefully) through personal experience. A willing participant at first, she then decided she wanted nothing to do with the project, hence I still have the print.

Congratulations on your assignment to host the LFI instagram over the weekend. Fedora Man gains control mwahahahaha!

Wow, pull at your heart strings, that story...

Yes, Fedora Man will be poised to stage a coup of LFI this weekend 😂

I just need to figure out what 4-6 images to post! 😫

• Like 2

Zorki and Jupiter-12. 8x12 print.

• Like 19

A yard in Matera

Nikon FM2, Nikkor 35/2 AF-D, HP5@1600

IMG_2294 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

• Like 13

Leica R4 - Elmarit-R 2,8/180 - Ektar100