I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 minutes ago, A miller said:

Fantastic, Marc.  Really love that foreground 

Lots to look at here, Philip.  I don't know the city but it appears that you have captured a huge part of it.  I'll bet the full res version are filled with details galore.

LOL!  Honestly, I was laid up with the flu all weekend and was praying that we wouldn't get the promised massive snow and miss out.  That's probably why the forecast flopped... 😇

Oy! Hope you r feeling better. Good weekend to stay indoors. 

55 minutes ago, A miller said:

Thanks very much, Philip!!!!!!  Whoop whoop! 🎉

At your suggestion, I just sent a proposal to Steidl and received back an automated email indicating that they are rarely accepting new books these given their capacity constraint.  So it is probably a real long shot.

Any other top notch publishers of photo books come to mind?  

I really have no idea... 😂

Thames & Hudson published HC-B's books and lots of others (Harry Gruyaert, Elliott Erwitt etc)... Aperture and Scalo/D.A.P. (The Americans) are both NYC-based and Phaidon has a pretty good selection of books....

If I were you I'd fire some shots towards publishers you'd like to work with then hustle them either until they get sick of you - or until they decide to set up a meeting. Your pictures are that good. I've been looking (a lot) at Saul Leiter's work and I think your best work is on a par.

Great work BTW in immediately contacting Steidl! They would HAVE to be worth a phone call or further contact... They are all in it to make money, and great pictures of NYC SELL! Especially something as idiosyncratic as yours - I feel there'd be a rather wide audience with the right distribution.

And best of luck with it all!

• Like 3

A colour view of the Dyrham Park skyline and one of the gardens. Both H500C, 80mm Planar, Ektar100.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 19

8 hours ago, A miller said:

Lots to look at here, Philip.  I don't know the city but it appears that you have captured a huge part of it.  I'll bet the full res version are filled with details galore.

Thanks Adam. Here's the full resolution, well the biggest I scanned it so far. It does show a lot of detail and the keen-eyed will see a few of the other spots I've posted pictures of.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stray cat said:

Thames & Hudson published HC-B's books and lots of others (Harry Gruyaert, Elliott Erwitt etc)... Aperture and Scalo/D.A.P. (The Americans) are both NYC-based and Phaidon has a pretty good selection of books....

If I were you I'd fire some shots towards publishers you'd like to work with then hustle them either until they get sick of you - or until they decide to set up a meeting. Your pictures are that good. I've been looking (a lot) at Saul Leiter's work and I think your best work is on a par.

Great work BTW in immediately contacting Steidl! They would HAVE to be worth a phone call or further contact... They are all in it to make money, and great pictures of NYC SELL! Especially something as idiosyncratic as yours - I feel there'd be a rather wide audience with the right distribution.

And best of luck with it all!

wow, you are a real treasure trove of useful knowledge, Phil!  That's incredible - thank you and I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to jot this down.  I will look these other publishers up and work on submitting formal proposals.  This has really be a big help!!!  As they say, "good on ya"! 😁

1 hour ago, philipus said:

Thanks Adam. Here's the full resolution, well the biggest I scanned it so far. It does show a lot of detail and the keen-eyed will see a few of the other spots I've posted pictures of.

Wow, amazing detail and sharpness, Philip.  There is so much going on in that city!

• Like 1

Dachau Concentration Camp, TMax 100

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

Neptune looking down from on high. NT DyrhamPark.  Hasselblad 500C, 80mm Planar, Ektar100. 

• Like 15

Abandoned trulli

Nikon F, Nikkor 50/1.4, Kodak Colorplus 200

20190121-DSC02123 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

• Like 17

Snow/Roof Abstract Nr 1

IIIc / Hexanon 50/2.4 / Kentmere 400 / Xtol replenished

• Like 11

(re)flection
M-A APO 50mm E100

Just glass.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

(knock! knock! 😳)

Nail Salon, NYC  

IIIg, 28 summaron,, Portra 400

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, A miller said:

very exotic looking, Rog, with texture galore.  I can see it in metal suspended from a large wall in a hotel.  

I’m digging it! I can also see it as separate metal panels floating in a Calder-like  mobile with glass panels reflecting ad infinitum. I wouldn’t turn down the wall at the Four Seasons, but of course, I am not Mark Rothko.  He is a one act show with no redux. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just wanted to share that today I was able to visit the new Leica Store and Gallery in Melbourne. A very nice, spacious well set-out store, and a little oasis from the ridiculous heat we're experiencing. The inaugural exhibition, which finishes in a couple of days, is by Magnum identity Bruce Gilden - the first time he's been exhibited here according to the very charming store manager). Gilden spent nine days here back in 2011 photographing a local "colorful identity" (ie thug/gangster) with his M6 using Tri-X. The 30" X 40" prints are on Ilford glossy neutral-toned fibre-based paper and look absolutely fantastic. I was so pleased that their first exhibition turned out to be such a fillip for Leica analogue gear! A good time was had by all.

https://lfi-online.de/ceemes/en/blog/bruce-gilden-at-the-leica-gallery-melbourne-1739.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, philipus said:

Oh sprockets galore! Quick someone tell Gary :)

Even through internet jpegs that does look like fabulous prints. Pretty amazing that they could enlarge them so much.

Oh, I don't know. I think it depends how much you like looking at grain. I have a 1m X 1.5m print of the following portrait at home (hanging in the garage which is the only place it will fit!) and I think it looks just dandy - the detail (eyelashes etc) holds together remarkably well. The print was made by our son James from the drum scan I've copied here - it was taken for an exhibition on the theme of homeless people my niece and I mounted as part of the Ballarat International Foto Biennale in 2011:

Amanda, Collingwood 2011

Leica M6TTL, 90mm Summicron, Tri-X

Edited by stray cat
  • Like 17

That is a very strong portrait Phil, and perfectly executed, well done. Have you done or considered doing a follow-up project of the persons you photographed?

br

Philip

3 hours ago, stray cat said:

Oh, I don't know. I think it depends how much you like looking at grain. I have a 1m X 1.5m print of the following portrait at home (hanging in the garage which is the only place it will fit!) and I think it looks just dandy - the detail (eyelashes etc) holds together remarkably well. The print was made by our son James from the drum scan I've copied here - it was taken for an exhibition on the theme of homeless people my niece and I mounted as part of the Ballarat International Foto Biennale in 2011:

Amanda, Collingwood 2011

Leica M6TTL, 90mm Summicron, Tri-X

• Like 2