I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

51 minutes ago, Ernest said:

Zen photography as mental transport. As the zen garden is meant for contemplation and not visitation, the observer doesn't enter the garden but contemplates, meditates the symbolic arrangement of elements, Tidal River 2000 sweeps one along its chiaroscuro currents--mental transport. The blur of the upslope foliage, almost cloud like, contrasts against the obstinate, unmoving dead tree with its weather-bleached branches, like jin of bonsai. It swept me back to a time I met Ansel Adams who was mounting a show at the Monterey Institute of International Studies where I was studying. It was before his Moonrise Over Hernandez fame started breaking sales records, and his plastic-wrapped photographs were for sale, stacked in bins, at the photography store on Alvarado St. There were also original prints by Minor White, Wynn Bullock, and I think Paul Caponigro and maybe Ruth Bernhard--all in the $65 to $95 range. I didn't buy any, but Ansel contributed to the printed costs of the literary journal I started at the Institute. Tidal River swept me back to that time and continues to rush in the present. What a current of creative spirit. I see this photograph in the bin of the photography store on Alvarado St.

Thank you so very much Rog. I am incredibly humbled by your words. Our son James (who was with me when I made this picture) and I had been paying a lot of attention to Adams at the time and, if I remember correctly, we'd recently received a copy of Adams' former student/assistant John Sexton's book "Quiet Light" in which he chose the moments very close to just before and just after sunset to photograph. This was made in just such light.

Landscape is, to my way of thinking, a good way to explore the "zen garden" as you so shrewdly put it. You are, after all, in nature (often although of course not exclusively) and you are rewarded by being receptive to small changes - in the light, in the point of view and so on. Also, you are rewarded by being aware of simplicity, of unburdening whatever scene you have chosen of extraneous detail in order to nurture the essential. The picture, after all, represents who you are.

Of course any art - any photography - must benefit from this sort of exercise and zen-like approach (eg Cartier-Bresson's references to Eugen Herrigel). It is just that landscape readily lends itself to it. I wish I were better at it, more consistently.

What a brilliant memento you have in your mind's bibliothèque of meeting with Ansel Adams and interacting with him to the extent that he contributed to your journal - there must have been a keen mutual appreciation. What did you study there? We visited Monterey a few years ago and really loved it and the surrounding area. I only wish it were possible to find that photography store on Alvarado Street and maybe a long-forgotten bin of prints in some dusty backroom! 

Again, sincerely, thank you so much, Rog.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, stray cat said:

Where's Superman/Batman/Spiderman/The Hulk etc when you need them?

🤠  They are all terrified of Fedora Man, whose shadow is elusive and fedora is all powerful (think Captain America's shield...)

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

32 minutes ago, A miller said:

🤠  They are all terrified of Fedora Man, whose shadow is elusive and fedora is all powerful (think Captain America's shield...)

I'm just waiting for the timely entrance of Catwoman or Wonder Woman, the only true rivals worthy of Fedora Man!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, stray cat said:

What a brilliant memento you have in your mind's bibliothèque of meeting with Ansel Adams and interacting with him to the extent that he contributed to your journal - there must have been a keen mutual appreciation. What did you study there? We visited Monterey a few years ago and really loved it and the surrounding area. I only wish it were possible to find that photography store on Alvarado Street and maybe a long-forgotten bin of prints in some dusty backroom! 

At that time, I was a German major, but sad to say, the wrecking crew has had a field day with my brain, and most of it is rubble, now.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, stray cat said:

I'm just waiting for the timely entrance of Catwoman or Wonder Woman, the only true rivals worthy of Fedora Man!

Phil - How did you guess?  Yes, the script has already been written, cut and edited and is now waiting for distribution.  Fedora Man is wreaking havoc on New Yorkers and no one can stop him...   Stay tuned 😎

1 hour ago, Steve Ricoh said:

This is so, so good 'Fedora' Adam.

Thanks, Steve, for being on the same wave length :)

57 minutes ago, Steve Ricoh said:

Another 'signpost' brilliantly executed. It rocks, and the colours pop!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1