I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Galibier Rollei B35 Fuji Superia

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 17

10 hours ago, stray cat said:

We have at home a framed darkroom print I made of this at the time, which I've always liked. I'd never attempted to scan it before but I decided to today. It took a while to find the negative, then it needed a wash, but here it is. My observation is that, while it is possible for a reasonable wet printer and an OK photoshopper to get something that looks pretty similar (keeping in mind that the 4000dpi TIF looks much better than this compressed jpeg), the wet print wins every time. Sure I can eke more tones and shadow/highlight detail out of the negative in photoshop, but the "feel" of the print just can't be emulated digitally:

Tidal River 2000

Nikon N8008s, AF-Nikkor 80-200 f2.8 IF-ED, Agfapan 25

This is superb! I agree with the many positive comments already made

robert

robert

• Like 1

FE2 - T-Max 100

In the Himalayas. Not sure what this really is but it surely has some religious-spiritual meaning, perhaps something like a shrine...

• Like 15

On 1/8/2019 at 3:38 AM, philipus said:

Is it just my eyes or does the new Ektachrome look duller than the previous version? I don't mean to critique Adam's photo, but when viewing photos with the new Ektachrome I get the feeling that I had when I compared the previous, luminous and lucious, Velvia 100 with much flatter Velvia 100F. It's a bit like viewing a photo in Adobe RGB vs in sRGB somehow. The old Ektachrome 100 was one of my most used films in the 90s and 00s (my lion photos are with Ektachrome for instance) but I don't recognise the muted palette at all. The current version also seems to drop off very abruptly in the shadow department which is also something I didn't see with the previous one. 

Scanning and putting it on the internet takes something away. My suggestion would be to try a roll yourself and let us know here what you think. My general feeling is that you don't get the drift into blue/green that you got with the old Ektachrome. Some liked it, I never did. I think the color drift is much better than Velvia and there isn't that oversaturated look. I am, however, interested in hearing your view. My "kibbitzing" with Adam on his pushing is just having some fun, since I know he loves to do that type of thing as well as take long exposures, which, btw, you don't have to adjust for a drift with Ektachrome.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, A miller said:

A slight switch of gears for me in this "dark shadow period" of the.... (no not our politics 🙄)....winter...

Here's one from Washington Square Park in Greenwich Village on a sunny Fall afternoon.

M-A, 50mm summilux asph, Portra 160

Great shot, as always, but I am getting tired of the Portra pastels, which has nothing to do with your photos just using this pic as a jumping off point about the film. I can in Capture One adjust the color curves to get a different, less pastel look, but this is what I like about Ektachrome -- and yes it would be better at 400 and with the latitude of portra, but then it wouldn't have the positive aspects of a transparency (including the cleaner scanning).

• Like 1

vor 9 Stunden schrieb philipus:

Now this is really cool, I love the dreamy result. What is an acrylic lens?

Thank you Phil,

I use the Subjektiv. There can be changed the lenses (pinhole, zone plate, glas lens and acrylic lens) The acrylic lens is a simple plastic lens like in the Holga cameras. Sharp in center and very soft in the edges.

Regards Joerg

Leica M2 - Super-Elmar 3,4/21 - PanF in Perceptol

Hawker Hunter in motel car park, Norfolk/Lincs borders. TriX, super angulon f4. Note the flare around nose cone and underneath.

Edited by Adrian Lord
  • Like 19

Am 8.1.2019 um 00:27 schrieb A miller:

Hey Steve ( @sblitz ), does Ferrari make an SUV resembling a Jeep?  🤔 How else can your logic explain these colors with a one stop push of Ektachrome?  😉

NYC

M-A, 28mm elmarit pre-asph

I do not care about the car: I just see a beautiful codriver (or driver) for a Ferrari, Jeep or whatever

• Like 1

First Ektachrome 200 second Fuji C200.

Same camera same lens same flash same exposer.

Fuji is not for people

1-

Edited by Calin
missspeling
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2-

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

More from testing Ektachrome / lens Cosina C/Y 24mm not the best choice for portraits

• Like 13