I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, stray cat said:

We have at home a framed darkroom print I made of this at the time, which I've always liked. I'd never attempted to scan it before but I decided to today. It took a while to find the negative, then it needed a wash, but here it is. My observation is that, while it is possible for a reasonable wet printer and an OK photoshopper to get something that looks pretty similar (keeping in mind that the 4000dpi TIF looks much better than this compressed jpeg), the wet print wins every time. Sure I can eke more tones and shadow/highlight detail out of the negative in photoshop, but the "feel" of the print just can't be emulated digitally:

Tidal River 2000

Nikon N8008s, AF-Nikkor 80-200 f2.8 IF-ED, Agfapan 25

Beautiful picture...  And I agree with you about wet print, greybear. I still work with it.

Thank you so much Philip. I, too, dream of wet printing again - I had to move my old enlarger to find this negative. I'm not absolutely 100% sure that the bug will bite me hard enough to actually get round to doing it, but you never know. I hope you are able to at some stage. In the meantime, as you suggest, inkjets can give you a reasonable facsimile, albeit without depth, soul and the knowledge that you've had your fingers in warm and sticky liquids to get there.

Oh - just saw this after I posted - thank you so much saiche!

Edited by stray cat
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, stray cat said:

We have at home a framed darkroom print I made of this at the time, which I've always liked. I'd never attempted to scan it before but I decided to today. It took a while to find the negative, then it needed a wash, but here it is. My observation is that, while it is possible for a reasonable wet printer and an OK photoshopper to get something that looks pretty similar (keeping in mind that the 4000dpi TIF looks much better than this compressed jpeg), the wet print wins every time. Sure I can eke more tones and shadow/highlight detail out of the negative in photoshop, but the "feel" of the print just can't be emulated digitally:

Tidal River 2000

Judging from what I see on my screen, as a display print there is an element of calmness which would make this a wonderful addition to a home. Personally I could live happily with those boulders and surreal tree and the wonderful depth of the background foliage. And the Agfapan has a rich palette of tones.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bateleur said:

Judging from what I see on my screen, as a display print there is an element of calmness which would make this a wonderful addition to a home. Personally I could live happily with those boulders and surreal tree and the wonderful depth of the background foliage. And the Agfapan has a rich palette of tones.

Thank you so much, Charles. Yes this one's a keeper for sure. Agfapan 25 was my all-time favourite film - developed in Rodinal Special - when I was doing a fair bit of landscape photography, and it printed so well on Agfa Record Rapid or some of the other truly great papers of the day (Oriental Seagull was another). BLACK? Oh yeah!

Edited by stray cat

19 hours ago, greybear said:

scissors grinder (2)

Pentax Z1p  |  Pentax-FA 28-80mm  |   F3.5-4.7  |  Fuji Superia 200

What a fascinating set of photos. So full of interest and reflecting a romantic I am drawn to.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stray cat said:

Tidal River 2000

Stunning. I wish I could see the print....and the negative. Everything else aside, it is kind of disorienting in the fact that the boulders, such they are, can appear  as a macro shot of pebbles; the tree a dried up weed. It could not be any better.

Thanks,

Wayne

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, CalinV said:

Strong picture I like the composition it make you think about the food industry. Well done Adam

Yes is incredible that film I have to try it. Nice done.

And ups my last picture is from 1996,  in 1966 I was not in  this world

Thanks, Cailn.  I am known to some as the "hamburglar" :)

19 hours ago, joergel said:

Leica R4 - acrylic lens - PanF in Microphen

Very cool effect, Joerg.  An outside of the box idea that works very well.  

9 hours ago, Ernest said:

Green Light OPQR

M-A Macro-Elmar-M & Nikon F2 Micro-Nikkor 55mm
ADOX Color Implosion

Indulging myself with a film end, paper bag, and some letters. Where's my Starbucks? Thar she  blows!

Very cool, Rog, and I think I see some Northern Lights packed in there, too.  I just tear at the thought of scraping my teeth agains the sandy texture of this image! 🤐 

4 hours ago, stray cat said:

Tidal River 2000

Gorgeous, Phil.   Kudos for the effort in digging this up and bringing it back to life.  There are so many things to love about this image.  But for me it is the depth of the shadow detail  and then the peak of the (controlled) highlights in the tree branches.  That range is really brilliant.  I will go against the grain here and say that wet print may not be the holy grail.  I think the deep blacks and transition between tones is very much a function of what paper you use and printer.  A really good quality paper, such as an Ilford baryta paper, and a light jet printer such as an Ice or Dursta would replicate those coveted qualities of a wet print but also achieve the additional detail that as scanner is able to extract out of the negative.   Sure, it may  not have that same exact physical feel as a wet print.  But unless we are going to get lap dances and fondle our prints rather than putting them under glass and on a wall that really isn't going to be a differentiator - at least for me.

Having said this, I am sure the wet print s sublime.

Congrats again!

• Like 2

A slight switch of gears for me in this "dark shadow period" of the.... (no not our politics 🙄)....winter...

Here's one from Washington Square Park in Greenwich Village on a sunny Fall afternoon.

M-A, 50mm summilux asph, Portra 160

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 18

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Bateleur:

What a fascinating set of photos. So full of interest and reflecting a romantic I am drawn to.

Thank you very much, Charles. Indeed, you will find such people no longer in our modern times. When i saw this man some years ago, i just had to stop and asking him, if i may take some pictures of him and his weird fairytail house on wheels. Later on i was sending him the photos for his privat album.

Edited by greybear
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, joergel said:

Leica R4 - acrylic lens - PanF in Microphen

Fairy atmosphere picture Joergel

6 hours ago, stray cat said:

Tidal River 2000

Really beautiful black and grey  tone

2 hours ago, philipus said:

Rike park, Tbilisi

Flickr
80 Planar Ektar X1

Beautiful contrast in color Philip

1 hour ago, A miller said:

A slight switch of gears for me in this "dark shadow period" of the.... (no not our politics 🙄)....winter...

Here's one from Washington Square Park in Greenwich Village on a sunny Fall afternoon.

M-A, 50mm summilux asph, Portra 160

The reflection and the color are superb Adam

Best H

• Like 3

vor 4 Stunden schrieb philipus:

I keep coming back to this one. It's delightful in its use of the vertical and diagonal lines and those tones are just sublime. And then the person and the roundish shapes which contrast against and somehow exist in this rigid-looking space. I can't really put it in words but it's a terrific picture that could well be a movie frame telling a story of its own.

Thank you very much!

• Like 1

M4-2, Elmarit 2,8/21, Tmax 400, D76 1:1

• Like 18

For Howard  , with the same inspiration

Fuji Velvia -M7-35 Summilux Asph

Col Aravis 1200m

Best H

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 19

21 minutes ago, }{B said:

Ricoh GR1 (28mm)

Glen Etive west coast of Scotland - descending from Ben Starav

Nice Scotland Howard  and nice color ... film ?

Best H

Thanks for the mountain views. I suspect that they are higher than I'm used to or comfortable with.

The film by the way was Fuji Sensia. I used this for many years after switching from Kodak 64.

• Thanks 1