Doc Henry

I like film...(open thread)

vor 10 Stunden schrieb A miller:

Very cool, James.  I am stumped by the middle one, though.   Were you in space recently?

As much as I would like to travel to space, I guess I was born a bit early to experience such a ride. The picture is just a small detail from an advert I stumbled upon yesterday during a stroll through Berlin.

vor 14 Stunden schrieb stray cat:

First HC-B (and I agree with John's comment), and now Australian artist Sidney Nolan: https://visual.artshub.com.au/news-article/reviews/visual-arts/glennys-marsdon/review-sidney-nolans-ned-kelly-series-agwa-256312

Again, those clear, clean compositions of yours are outstanding, Joerg.

vor 13 Stunden schrieb A miller:

Love it, Joerg.  Simplicity at its best.

vor 13 Stunden schrieb Steve Ricoh:

Love the grain, I can almost feel the lovely texture.

Thank You very much, gentlemen :)

I have to say, that I didn't knew Sidney Nolan. Thanks for the link, Phil.

This photos are older ones and I only took them without any thoughts. That was just what I saw. At this time, I didn't knew HCB yet. I can't say, that my newer photos are inspired by anyone. I always go out and try to shoot, what I see. Sometimes digital, but also on film. The important fact is: I love to do this 😀

Regards Joerg

P.S.: My english is not as good as it should be. The english lessons at school are far away. Sorry 😔

vor 13 Stunden schrieb A miller:

This past Thursday night in NYC we had a VERY freakish event that caused the entire sky to turn bright blue for about 10 minutes and baffled millions of New Yorkers.  It was as if we were experiencing the "northern lights" only in bright blue.  Others believed that it was a UFO crash landing and that it was the end of humankind as we know it. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/27/nyregion/blue-sky-queens-explosion.html

It turns out it was "just" an explosion at an electrical plant of Con Edison just outside of Manhattan in Long Island City/Astoria.  

Despite the reckless actions taken by our stupid electrical company, the explosion produced some really awesome colors in the sky. 

As I gazed up into that surreal bright blue sky, I couldn't help but think of Ektar, and this pre-dawn panorama that I took recently....

Who needs stupid electrical explosions when we have Ektar...? :)

6x17, 90mm Schneider Super Angulon XL

Another great one, Adam!

Regards Joerg

3 hours ago, Stealth3kpl said:

I'm encouraged by how many film cameras I see in this article which is simply about a photography commission

https://www.bjp-online.com/2018/12/california-through-the-eyes-of-four-photographers/?fbclid=IwAR2_o2MXXjXbAuFAopmWfYxFBkN_lUqEwq2PsAZfAdtzgbNxA1-WDyRwUH8

Pete

Thanks Pete . Very nice pictures and interesting  links<

"Buy film not megapixels"

Best H

vor 13 Stunden schrieb Wayne:

Josh

IIIG, VC 3.5/28 Color Skopar, HP5, 510 Pyro

I like it very much, Wayne. The artist just stands still and looks what he did. You captured the right moment.

Regards Joerg

20 hours ago, Doc Henry said:

Thank you Henry for comment and reference.

Unfortunately this  is exactly the battery i have used (brand new, still 10y of shelf life).

the metering works, the opening of curtain works. Curtain does not shut in auto as well as manual unless in 60 or 125, the manual speeds.

exactly what had happened early dec again. Which then had disappeared when i deopped by the leica store

well, will drop again in the new year when back in London. In the meanwhile it is contax G2 and some digital with micro 4/3  (often with my legacy leica M optics).

enjoy

cheers

Patrick

3 hours ago, joergel said:

Another great one, Adam!

Regards Joerg

Thanks, Joerg!

3 hours ago, joergel said:

Leica R6 - Summicron-R 2/50 - TMAX100 in D76

Wow, this is amazing.  Looks like you took it on the moon.  Really fantastic!!

3 hours ago, man:men said:

East-Berlin, five years after the wall has opened

Very interesting.  Which film?  

2 hours ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

The last picture from Manfred reminds me of my task for the next months. I will have to scan my pictures from the 80s and 90s with more impressions from the every day life in East Berlin and the GDR. 

Meanwhile I have here another impression from the Christmas Market in Luebeck:

Ricoh GR1 - Portra 160

Good one, James.  Great nighttime colors in low light from Portra 160 

1 hour ago, schattenundlicht said:

Sunscorched.

[ M7 ; Summicron V 50mm f/2 ; B+W 090 ; Ilford HP5 ; D76 1:1 ]

Beautiful painterly monochrome.  Love it!!

1 hour ago, schattenundlicht said:

I would like to excuse this posting spree. The weather here currently is not amenable to outdoor photography, thus some scanning backlog is in flavor...

View towards the "Bastei" lookout point, Rotenfels in Traisen, Germany.

[ M7 ; Summicron V 50mm f/2 ; B+W 090 ; Ilford HP5 ; D76 1:1 ]

Not excusing needed; it is a bonanza for us!!   The more the merrier so please share away.  The entire series has been very inspiring.  I love the detail and texture that you get from your skies.

45 minutes ago, A miller said:

[...]  I love the detail and texture that you get from your skies.

Since HP5 is so good with greyscales, it only needs an appropriate filter. Red filters are ill-reputed amongst "serious" landscape photographers these days (although A.A. used them liberately in his days). The B+W 090 is a sweet spot for me, being light red yet significantly more intense than a conventional yellow filter. Because of the exquisite MRC coating, you cannot bring it to flare, even with the very suboptimal built-in lenshood of the Summicron V.

I prefer the dramatic rendition of sky achieved by the physical filter very much to the b/w conversion sliders, and even more so to the terribly overused (imho) clarity or structure sliders in digital postprocessing.

The only drawback of the B+W 090 ist that it sometimes renders foliage much too dark, so sometimes a bit of local digital dodging & burning is necessary, whereas generally, I keep postprocessing of my black & white negatives to an absolute minimum (negative conversion; global levels & curves; dust removal; hands off the rest). It currently is very satisfying for me to be on a somewhat minimalistic trip ;)

Kind regards

Mathias

Edited by schattenundlicht
typo