Doc Henry

I like film...(open thread)

On 10/11/2018 at 3:38 AM, Ernest said:

Pink Pearl Eraser Polyptych

M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm LHSA
ADOX Color Implosion

Color field study to define the margins of "erasure," but, at the moment,  I only got as far as the Pink Pearl eraser itself. The inspiration was Rauschenberg's Erased de Kooning drawing. Watching interviews with Rauschenberg recounting his concept of the work and the complicity of de Kooning who gave him the drawing to erase, I read the artistic gesture differently than Rauschenberg allows. He talks at length about the process and the finished work but seems to miss the significance of his statement, namely, that artists are constantly re-imagining the work of other artists, and in making their own statement, they are in essence "erasing" the work of their predecessors--not literally, until Rauschenberg, but figuratively. We are all familiar with the instability of silver nitrate motion picture film and the preservation efforts to save those films, and there is the alarming poor condition of Niepce's 1826 photograph, being erased by time and light exposure. What will happen to the 2,500 rolls of undeveloped film Saul Leiter left? Erasure doesn't have to be subtractive, though; in the sense of pentimento, it can show the trace of previous work made in the process of artistic choice.

In this color field study, I used 6 images and Josef Albers's technique of the illusion of transparency.

Cheers, Rog

I like how you've selected the colours in this one, Rog. It looks like a C41 negative strip.

9 hours ago, benqui said:

I love the different Colors, like in a dreamland! You look at this photo and feel relaxed!

5 hours ago, AntonioF said:

Beautiful! Silk!

Many thanks, Marc and Antonio.  As I recall, it was just as relaxing taking the photo :)

Hi Edward - I think all likes reset upon the change over to the new format.  But I think Andreas might be trying to recover them...

1 hour ago, edwardkaraa said:

I’m not sure if it’s a software bug or something else, but every time I visit here, I realize that some of the likes I gave during my previous visit are gone. Anyone experiencing the same? 

On 10/11/2018 at 12:22 AM, A miller said:

With perhaps one exception, I think that so far I have only shared photos from my recent trips to the Dead Sea this past summer that were taken in mid-day.

Well, there's more of those.  I did, however, also make 6 trips down there for the sunrise.  And I didn't come back empty handed 🤑

Sunrise, Dead Sea

SWC, Ektar

By far your best with the SWC

50 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

By far your best with the SWC

Thanks, Steve.  I may have another one coming down the pike here soon.  But I agree that this is a cracker.  I just wish I could create crackers at-will - but then again I guess that's part of the game :)

1 hour ago, A miller said:

Hi Edward - I think all likes reset upon the change over to the new format.  But I think Andreas might be trying to recover them...

Hi Adam, 

I am aware of the reset, but the disappearing likes are happening with the new software. It could be my internet connection though.

3 minutes ago, edwardkaraa said:

Hi Adam, 

I am aware of the reset, but the disappearing likes are happening with the new software. It could be my internet connection though.

ah, I see.  that's strange and would expect that to be a mere kink that needs to be worked out.  The forum in general has been sluggish and many links don't work (yet?) and I am hoping that is all due to transition issues...

vor 17 Stunden schrieb A miller:

Miller Mediterranean Seascape, take 6 🏝️

Sunrise, Tel Aviv

Ektar, 503cw, 80mm Planar

This is jaw dropping! Its a pity, that it has this vertical streak at the right, but this should be fixable quickly.

7 minutes ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

This is jaw dropping! Its a pity, that it has this vertical streak at the right, but this should be fixable quickly.

Sincere thanks, James.  Yes, my coolscan has been acting up on me.  The line shall indeed  be eliminated in due course... :)

1 hour ago, A miller said:

Sincere thanks, James.  Yes, my coolscan has been acting up on me.  The line shall indeed  be eliminated in due course... :)

Give it another shot without using ICE in VueScan; our old friend Neil had similar issues with his scans.

2 minutes ago, MT0227 said:

Give it another shot without using ICE in VueScan; our old friend Neil had similar issues with his scans.

thanks, Marc.  But these negs are those horribly dirty and scratched negs that I got from my lab in Israel.  So there ICE is the only reason why I took my coolscan out of retirement :)

Edited by A miller