I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 minutes ago, A miller said:

Putting aside a few annoying flies buzzing around, sleeping on the beach at the Dead Sea is actually quite pleasant.  NOTHING lives there, no snakes, reptiles, scorpions or other critters that can be found in the desert.  These folks don't even get close to the Dead Sea water.  They know better.  There are things called "shit flies," which are bright green flies that bite.  They are annoying as hell and have taken their name from the company that they make in villages around the area.  I actually got accosted  by a swarm of these at a particular area pf the Dead Sea in the middle of the day on one of my visits.  They actually filibustered my ability to take the time I really wanted to spend in that area.  They can be real bitches during the heat of the day.  But at night they probably are lying cozy in some shit somewhere in some village, far from the beaches of the Dead Sea.  

In the dead of the night it is as peaceful as it can be on those beaches.  

I didn't sleep on the beach this night - hardly slept at all, actually.  But I arrived after my 1.5 hour drive a bit early for dawn and soaked in all the tranquility and silence.  Then, as dawn began to ever so slightly protrude over the horizon, the oily glassy water began to glow with deep colors.  I was ready with my Hassy 503cw, 80mm Planar and Ektar, with an audience of about a dozen other Israelis who had stayed the night for this moment and were emerging from their sleeping bags.  

I was metering like a madman trying my best to capture the intense glow from the water.  I didn't want to expose too much out of fear that I would wash out the glow.  I think this frame struck a reasonable balance.  

Imaging floating effortlessly in this lukewarm water with this glide path to an epic sunrise as your home theater?  😍♥️🌅

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This Ektarlicious Millerism goes straight to the pool room! Shit flies be damned! They get the choice to hang around in this pristine paradise or wallow in waste! You and Ektar Adam have a special symbiotic relationship. This one is a stunner. As is your anecdote!

Edited by stray cat
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Ernest said:

Love these diaphanous panels, color play, orange layered over blue, the red and the green, then the yellow lines on the floor, waiting lines for the ghostly? And those counter-weights and the shadow meaning of those words floating in air, the death walk of Spanish influenza on the boards of history. And that one tiny word that whispers its foul practice—pandemic. Again, you balance on the high wire, making the complex look simple, but not so simple. 

Thank you so much Rog. It is amazing, come to think about it, how much there is that is colorful around you when you become aware of it - and photography undoubtedly puts you in that zone if you let it. I think of myself primarily as a b&w photographer, yet I love to unleash with color from time to time  precisely because I find myself noticing different things. And, in noticing color, as you so wisely allude above and illustrate in your ~tyches, one starts to take a greater interest in what the colorful things actually are and the intrinsic (and/or even extrinsic) meanings carried by them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, philipus said:

Terrific Phil, from the perfect exposure to the superb framing leaving in only what's needed to make into a graphic work of art

Thank you so much, Philip, for your kind words. Sometimes something encountered in everyday life screams at you to make a picture of it - on this occasion I had to return with my M2 before the sun disappeared.

4 hours ago, philipus said:

This is a superb slice of nature - look at those harmonious colors of yellow, blue and green with the white beyond. And set to a dreamy soft-focus melody. I can see this printed as an enormous panel.

• Like 1

ADOX Redux Diptych

M-A Thambar-M CS
ADOX Color Implosion

• Like 9

Recto Verso Polyptych

M-A Thambar-M CS & APO-Summicron-M 50mm LHSA
ADOX Color Implosion & Portra 400

Pages metaphor with transparent versus opaque language.

• Like 11

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Recto Verso II Polyptych

Another version of the "pages metaphor" with an abstract figuration of transparent versus opaque language. Again, I'm using color  theory concepts by Albers.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, stray cat said:

Pritam - this is a fantastic perspective. If you're ever in Melbourne again, please give me a shout.

Thank you, Phil. There is a plan afoot, though faint at the moment but taking shape, to visit my children in Melbourne in April next. I'll keep you posted as it happens. Look forward to it!

Edited by Suede
  • Thanks 1

vor 7 Stunden schrieb stray cat:

greybear - a certain Doc will be very pleased to see this! Lovely photo of some beautiful poppies.

Good morning, Phil and thank you very much for your kind words. And i hope also, that Doc Henry will come back to this, his own Thread. Would be so nice !

Edited by greybear
  • Thanks 1

Some Portra 400, through the R6 and 50 Summicron.

Gary

• Like 16

Same details.

This one at a time is getting annoying.

Gary

• Like 15

5 hours ago, Ernest said:

Recto Verso II Polyptych

Another version of the "pages metaphor" with an abstract figuration of transparent versus opaque language. Again, I'm using color  theory concepts by Albers.

These are continually evolving, Rog, and your techniques look to be advancing, too. Recto Verso and RVII have the appearance of containing a three dimensional image. Perhaps this is in part due to Albers' concepts? I now have his book - which looks to be rather incredible and I can already recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it - but I will take some time to get through it. However the placements in your constructs are inspired, both in terms of geometry and color. And it is especially remarkable that those blacks contain detail. Fantastic work. I hope you have plenty of Color Implosion to continue with the evolution of this intriguing and aesthetically stimulating series.

3 hours ago, Suede said:

Thank you, Phil. There is a plan afoot, though faint at the moment but taking shape, to visit my children in Melbourne in April next. I'll keep you posted as it happens. Look forward to it!

I'll look forward to it too. Please PM me and let's get together for a meet-up! Cheers, Phil

Edited by stray cat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, A miller said:

Putting aside a few annoying flies buzzing around, sleeping on the beach at the Dead Sea is actually quite pleasant.  NOTHING lives there, no snakes, reptiles, scorpions or other critters that can be found in the desert.  These folks don't even get close to the Dead Sea water.  They know better.  There are things called "shit flies," which are bright green flies that bite.  They are annoying as hell and have taken their name from the company that they make in villages around the area.  I actually got accosted  by a swarm of these at a particular area pf the Dead Sea in the middle of the day on one of my visits.  They actually filibustered my ability to take the time I really wanted to spend in that area.  They can be real bitches during the heat of the day.  But at night they probably are lying cozy in some shit somewhere in some village, far from the beaches of the Dead Sea.  

In the dead of the night it is as peaceful as it can be on those beaches.  

I didn't sleep on the beach this night - hardly slept at all, actually.  But I arrived after my 1.5 hour drive a bit early for dawn and soaked in all the tranquility and silence.  Then, as dawn began to ever so slightly protrude over the horizon, the oily glassy water began to glow with deep colors.  I was ready with my Hassy 503cw, 80mm Planar and Ektar, with an audience of about a dozen other Israelis who had stayed the night for this moment and were emerging from their sleeping bags.  

I was metering like a madman trying my best to capture the intense glow from the water.  I didn't want to expose too much out of fear that I would wash out the glow.  I think this frame struck a reasonable balance.  

Imaging floating effortlessly in this lukewarm water with this glide path to an epic sunrise as your home theater?  😍♥️🌅

Master piece!

• Like 3

On the Run 2018

Canon F1N, FDn 50mm f1.4, Agfa Vista 400

• Like 17

Twilight, after the rain.

Busch Pressman C, Freidrich Munchen Corygon Anastigmat 3.5 105, Arista EDU 100

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 10

Yashica Mat, Ilford XP2

• Like 14

Where are the kids gone?

• Like 14

10 hours ago, stray cat said:

This Ektarlicious Millerism goes straight to the pool room! Shit flies be damned! They get the choice to hang around in this pristine paradise or wallow in waste! You and Ektar Adam have a special symbiotic relationship. This one is a stunner. As is your anecdote!

Sincere thanks, Phil.  I really appreciate that.  And I wholly agree - may those shit flies be damned!!!

4 hours ago, gbealnz said:

Same details.

This one at a time is getting annoying.

Gary

Love that portra 400, Gary.  Great choice of film for its versatility and great colors.

2 hours ago, edwardkaraa said:

Master piece!

Thanks a lot, Edward :)

2 hours ago, stray cat said:

On the Run 2018

Canon F1N, FDn 50mm f1.4, Agfa Vista 400

As Henry would say, the "decisive moment, isn't it" 🤣😎

2 minutes ago, Xelor said:

Where are the kids gone?

wow, I love this!  Having oldest just leave the nest for college, this photo has particular meaning for me.  Well done!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hoosiers. Sunday. The hay is in.

Foca Universal, 28 Oplar, Fuji 400

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 18