I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Posted a pic in #53777, saw after I'd posted it was not right, so deleted it.

Can't re-attach the pic so new "replacement" post. Same details.

Gary

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 19

I like this photo a lot. It's the mood and the dark greys, I think.

And congrats for your grandson!

attachicon.gifimg731-2.jpg

Zeiss Ikoflex TLR, Novar Anastigmat 3.5, FP4, 510 Pyro

A few of the "Resolution is not Everything" (RINE?) file.

Visited my daughter and her husband to see my new grandson for the first time. Photos are of new mother, her twin sister, son-in-law, and grandson. Zeiss Tenax I(24x24 format camera), Novar Anastigmat, FP4, Diafine.

attachicon.gifimg709 (2).jpg

attachicon.gifimg711 (2).jpg

attachicon.gifimg707 (1).jpg

• Like 2

Leica R4 - acrylic lens - PanF - Microphen 1:1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Equation No. 11 Triptych

M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm ADOX Color Implosion & JCH StreetPan 400 & Portra 400

Color Field Study of Josef Albers’s Illusion of Transparence

• Like 11

Equation No. 7 Polyptych

• Like 10

Thank you sincerely, Rog. I now have a new favourite word - Sprezzatura - studied carelessness! And here was I, when at school, the one accused by a teacher of indulging in sesquipedalian portentousness!

The Adox color implosion is (was :( ) a unique, brilliant film.  I think the closest available now is Cinestill 800T - I'll have to try a few rolls of that again. Although not for a while - yesterday I invested $100 in pre-ordering four (yes just 4!) rolls of the new Ektachrome, which I am looking forward to trying out.

Sesquipedalian portentousness--very saucy, indeed. Reminds me of my Aunt Suka's bumper sticker: Eschew Obfuscation. Freestyle Photo will have Kodak Ektachrome E100D for $12.99/roll Oct. 16. You'd have to check on Priority Mail International rates. Also, the new "Bruce Davidson: Lesser Known" is coming out this month: "Lesser Known presents 130 photos by Bruce Davidson, made between 1955 and 1993, that have been overlooked until now. The book is the result of a year long undertaking by the photographer and his studio to examine 60 years of contact sheets and edit individual images into a singular work that plots his professional and personal growth. Lesser Known showcases Davidson’s perpetual versatility and adaptability as a photographer through a focus on early assignments, the intimate documentation of his family life and smaller series such as unpublished color photographs from major bodies of work including East 100th Street and Campers."

Cheers,

Rog

• Like 3

Car Wash

M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm LHSA ADOX Color Implosion

• Like 12

Wow, Gary, one of your absolute very best in my opinion!!!  I am on the fence as to whether the sprockets detract.  But it is what it is.  I think the blacks could be deepened a bit.  But the subject matter and composition are sublime.  Congrats!

Posted a pic in #53777, saw after I'd posted it was not right, so deleted it.

Can't re-attach the pic so new "replacement" post. Same details.

Gary

Absolutely stunning!!  Love that Tri-X!

attachicon.gif2018-09-11-0004.jpg

Leica M3 + 50mm Summicron + Kodak TriX Rated ISO320 + HC110 Dilution H

Scanned on Nikon Coolscan 8000 and adjusted levels in Lightroom CC

• Like 1

Sesquipedalian portentousness--very saucy, indeed. Reminds me of my Aunt Suka's bumper sticker: Eschew Obfuscation. Freestyle Photo will have Kodak Ektachrome E100D for $12.99/roll Oct. 16. You'd have to check on Priority Mail International rates. Also, the new "Bruce Davidson: Lesser Known" is coming out this month: "Lesser Known presents 130 photos by Bruce Davidson, made between 1955 and 1993, that have been overlooked until now. The book is the result of a year long undertaking by the photographer and his studio to examine 60 years of contact sheets and edit individual images into a singular work that plots his professional and personal growth. Lesser Known showcases Davidson’s perpetual versatility and adaptability as a photographer through a focus on early assignments, the intimate documentation of his family life and smaller series such as unpublished color photographs from major bodies of work including East 100th Street and Campers."

Cheers,

Rog

Thank you for the heads up about the cost of Ektachrome at Freestyle - I'll do some thinking about which way will be less expensive. Also the Bruce Davidson book. I am a huge fan of his, as you know, and some undiscovered gems from that hugely creative 40-year period can only be worth looking at.

Cheers, Phil

• Like 1

Thank you for the heads up about the cost of Ektachrome at Freestyle - I'll do some thinking about which way will be less expensive. Also the Bruce Davidson book. I am a huge fan of his, as you know, and some undiscovered gems from that hugely creative 40-year period can only be worth looking at.

Cheers, Phil

Check also perhaps FPP, they sent me a note and I think it was $11, or close.

Gary.

• Like 1

Equation No. 11 Triptych

These are intriguing, Rog - not least because it alerted me to Albers' color theory. As a result I have now ordered Interaction of Color. I've been long meaning to look for an interesting treatise on color theory, and this sounds like it fits the bill nicely.

Again, your works show a mastery of color additions - this particular pair of Albers homages displaying resonant blacks, against which red, green, a hint of blue, some earthy tones and purple seem to vibrate. And as for Car Wash - you must have driven your Trabant through the collective car wash now run by El Lissitzky! Constructivism at its sudsiest!

Goose triptych. Earnest is always with me these days.

Zeiss Icon VEB Taxona (square format 24x24), Novanar Anastigmat, Fuji Superia 100

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 12

A few of the "Resolution is not Everything" (RINE?) file.

Visited my daughter and her husband to see my new grandson for the first time. Photos are of new mother, her twin sister, son-in-law, and grandson. Zeiss Tenax I(24x24 format camera), Novar Anastigmat, FP4, Diafine.

attachicon.gifimg709 (2).jpg

attachicon.gifimg711 (2).jpg

attachicon.gifimg707 (1).jpg

attachicon.gifWiesental2018-11R4PANF.jpg

Leica R4 - acrylic lens - PanF - Microphen 1:1

RINE? Don't tell the digital crowd! Oops pretend I didn't say that! These two posts admirably illustrate that often a lack of what we might think of as technical perfection can lead us down paths to what we might otherwise travel. Wayne's family studies are steeped in a timelessness whereby the very idea of family is put forward already in a dreamy, soft - is warm going to far? - package. We know exactly how he feels about these most important people in his life - and we are generously invited to share that.  Joergel's swampy tree comes to us from some enchanted fabled land and, in looking at it, it is possible to construct stories and tales of what might go on there. A sharp picture might not have necessarily led us down that path. Great stuff! Now where do you go to get an acrylic lens?

• Like 1