I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dostoyevsky's Passport

M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm LHSA ADOX Color Implosion & Portra 400

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11

Holy crap Rog! This is positively cinematic. Or should that be cinemagic? An assemblage tour de force! I'm fascinated, too, in observing what the slivers of green color add to the last few works you've presented. Stunning.

Well, Phil, as Oscar Wilde was famous for saying (and living), "Nothing succeeds like excess." Carried away, I beached on an island somewhere between Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" and Martin Scorses's "Hugo," both pulling the strings on 18th century automata, mechanical puppets engineered with clockwork precision to replicate human action. I started with the shot of the machinery in the bunker and imagined it could be the hub of a machine, perhaps "a machine from the gods" in the tradition of Greek drama, which was the device used to resolve the dramatic predicament of characters facing dire conflict. What could be more dire than the oppression of a labyrinthine bunker that in today's society of surveillance is ironically little sanctuary. The Image Maker, then, becomes the flight to sanctuary on the wings of artistic spirit, the Image Maker, or camera. For the composition, I used primes of 3 and 5: 5 panels, 3 black-and-white landscape images, 5 Redbird landscapes, and 3 "slivers," as you noted, which I regard as punctuation lines that accent the piece as a reminder that this is not real but a fiction that deconstructs itself. Oh, yes, there is one tab of red that starts the Image Maker that you'll notice will at times change the beginning landscape into another landscape by aesthetic design. The only colors are red and green, complementary, green to begin, reading left to right, and red as a cautionary accent.

All right, over the top, I know, but that's the circus for you. I always marched in lockstep with the chant that there was no such thing as too much Starbucks. I warrant very few have seen behind the green Oz curtain at Wetzlar, so here you have the unredacted glimpse of what really goes on in the Barnack Bureau. Deus Ex Machina, the Image Maker Polyptych (11 images)

Cheers,

Rog

• Like 1

great stuff, Wayne.  Looks like skins of animals hanging out to dry :)

Parasite

attachicon.gifimg723 (2)-2.jpg

Zeiss Ikontaflex TLR, Novar Anistigmat, FP4, 510 Pyro

Breathtaking landscape!!

On Brischer Alp, Swiss Alps.

R7, 1,4 50mm, Ektachrome, Coolscan 5000

attachicon.gifR7-Briescher.jpg

Very interesting, Phil!  That red really pops!

That's stunning, sunafan.

metropolis (boston) 2018

M6TTL, 90mm summicron, adox color implosion

Very nice, and welcome!!!   If you have trouble posting in full size just shout! Would be great to see it (and others) bigger.

attachicon.gif2018-09-08-0003.jpg

Leica M3

50mm Summicron

Kodak Tri X

More on http://instagram.com/paxkoduri

Thanks, Marc :)

Fantastic colors my friend!

Good stuff, Rog.  You are getting really creative - it is very inspiring!

Dostoyevsky's Passport
M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm LHSA ADOX Color Implosion & Portra 400

• Like 4

The only Crime here is gratuitous violence against blinkered vision and the only appropriate Punishment is to see this work hung! In a gallery!

Ha, ha! To be sure, you are the Archduke of Alliteration, acclaimed for your sprezzatura in the art of linguistic gymnastics. No blinkered vision in the bunkers.

Oh, "Metropolis!" You have done ADOX well, the implosion resounding, perhaps with an echo of Russian Constructivism. The composition coming out of the Wright shop always piques aesthetic interest and is the very definition of sprezzatura, to perform the difficult with assured nonchalance. You include the non-descript building at the left frame to create the first square of light in the upper left, the most privileged real estate for reading, since in western society, we read a page first from the top left. The composition then becomes a series of concentric and interlocking squares and rectangles with the light value moving from light to shade at the right frame. And the fact that it is a steel landscape under construction (not to be confused with Constructivism) with only one worker speaks to man's industry. The reds of the Liberty lift and doors gives a tasty snap.

And, then, there's "Polystyrene" to continue that minimalist, dare I say Bauhaus, signature. You have rendered a three-dimensional space into a nearly two-dimensional graphic design study of light a dark values. So interesting. The asphalt at first doesn't read as asphalt, and the curbing doesn't read as brick or concrete but as simple lines dividing space. The only give away to perspective are the pavers at the bottom of the frame. Then, there is that enigmatic silhouetted patch in the middle of the corrugated aluminum, so the conversation starts.

Cheers,

Rog

• Like 1

As usual, another ripper Adam. Gotta love that SWC.

The hills in the background, they have snow on them?

Gary

Thanks, Gary :)  Yeah, those snow-capped Jordanian mountains do look odd, eh?  It was the way the film rendered the blown highlights on the horizon.  Not really sure how or why, but I'm going with it... :)

• Like 1

Ha, ha! To be sure, you are the Archduke of Alliteration, acclaimed for your sprezzatura in the art of linguistic gymnastics. No blinkered vision in the bunkers.

Oh, "Metropolis!" You have done ADOX well, the implosion resounding, perhaps with an echo of Russian Constructivism. The composition coming out of the Wright shop always piques aesthetic interest and is the very definition of sprezzatura, to perform the difficult with assured nonchalance. You include the non-descript building at the left frame to create the first square of light in the upper left, the most privileged real estate for reading, since in western society, we read a page first from the top left. The composition then becomes a series of concentric and interlocking squares and rectangles with the light value moving from light to shade at the right frame. And the fact that it is a steel landscape under construction (not to be confused with Constructivism) with only one worker speaks to man's industry. The reds of the Liberty lift and doors gives a tasty snap.

And, then, there's "Polystyrene" to continue that minimalist, dare I say Bauhaus, signature. You have rendered a three-dimensional space into a nearly two-dimensional graphic design study of light a dark values. So interesting. The asphalt at first doesn't read as asphalt, and the curbing doesn't read as brick or concrete but as simple lines dividing space. The only give away to perspective are the pavers at the bottom of the frame. Then, there is that enigmatic silhouetted patch in the middle of the corrugated aluminum, so the conversation starts.

Cheers,

Rog

Thank you sincerely, Rog. I now have a new favourite word - Sprezzatura - studied carelessness! And here was I, when at school, the one accused by a teacher of indulging in sesquipedalian portentousness!

The Adox color implosion is (was :( ) a unique, brilliant film.  I think the closest available now is Cinestill 800T - I'll have to try a few rolls of that again. Although not for a while - yesterday I invested $100 in pre-ordering four (yes just 4!) rolls of the new Ektachrome, which I am looking forward to trying out.

M3

50 Summicron M

Delta 100 in R09 @ 1:50

Epson 4870

Gary

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 19

And just to prove I am not of sound mind, yes I lugged an old A-24 magazine around Europe, with some cheap and cheerful Vista 200 in it, in 35mm form of course.

This is the first of them, I'll try not to overdose you on them.

SWC

Vista 200

Epson 4870

Gary

Edited by gbealnz
  • Like 1

Absolutely fabulous, Wayne - Monet meets Ralph Eugene Meatyard!

great stuff, Wayne.  Looks like skins of animals hanging out to dry :)

Breathtaking landscape!!

Very interesting, Phil!  That red really pops!

Very nice, and welcome!!!   If you have trouble posting in full size just shout! Would be great to see it (and others) bigger.

Thanks, Marc :)

Good stuff, Rog.  You are getting really creative - it is very inspiring!

Thank you for the compliments. The 510-Pyro experiment is proving to be very interesting. It seems, to my  eyes, the most intriguing aspect is the work the developer does in providing very subtle tonality in areas that, in the back of my mind, while I am taking the photograph, I fear are going to be blown or blocked; the flower in Parasite is an example of this. It is an absorbing pursuit. I am grateful to have a  place where I can share the results. The more I participate in this forum/thread, the more I realize it is about the most civil and interesting part of my day.......Outside of family and local friends. 

Best,

Wayne

• Like 1

Adam this is phenomenal - it moves, it floats, it has dimensionality! Superb.

Many thanks, Phil.  The salt bed was particularly exotic looking there, and the polarizing lens was able to cut through the reflections and showcase some of that terrain.

• Like 1