Doc Henry

I like film...(open thread)

Thanks, Marc

Hey Gary - nice to hear from you!!  Excellent start to what I am sure will be a most enjoyable series.

Thanks, Philip.  I think the level of rigor in the film cleaning workflow will depend on how clean they come back from the lab.  My NYC labs do a pretty good job.  But my 50+ rolls of 120 from Israel are an utter nightmare.  

Hey, I have one of those!!

So what is the maximum payload? They have sprung up all over the place. I can't wait to see what the aftermarket produces for them.

So what is the maximum payload? They have sprung up all over the place. I can't wait to see what the aftermarket produces for them.

At least Hoosier and a half

Thanks, Phil, for your wit, linguistic gymnastics, and valuable feedback. Always entertaining and instructive. Love your nudge-nudges, wink, winks that get me thinking outside the 3:2 rectangle. References to film, art, music, and literature--like Ralph Gibson says, a good photographer should take it all in as much as possible. It's notable how many photographers started out as painters or continued to paint, such as Saul Leiter who just pops into my head, remembering your comments on the Barnack thread. BTW "Saul Leiter: All about Saul Leiter" is a new paperback on good photo stock now available; it's 312 pages of everything from black and white to color, including some of his paintings of women.

Cheers,

Rog

Thank you so much Rog - your comments are always dazzling and the progression in your photos is intriguing to watch. It is as if we are seeing the development of something very important, step by step. Very privileged.

Thank you also for the heads up on the Saul Leiter book - I've been tossing up which one to buy but this one seems just the ticket - so it is now on its way!

Ugh that's tough. I get that sometimes too and it is a pain.

Thanks, Philip.  I think the level of rigor in the film cleaning workflow will depend on how clean they come back from the lab.  My NYC labs do a pretty good job.  But my 50+ rolls of 120 from Israel are an utter nightmare.  

On this one I used both the 16mm and 32mm tubes.

120 Planar time I fear, LOL. I'll trial some close ups for you in the coming month or so.

Gary

beautiful, Philip!

On this one I used both the 16mm and 32mm tubes.

Flickr

Really stunning.  When was this taken?

Another memory from the western coast of Greenland, in this case close to the city/village Ilulissat (meaning 'icebergs'), where one of the largest glacier outlets is found, the Jakobshavn Glacier. I had a one-night stop in Ilulissat, on the way home from a research cruise. The weather was so-so, grey and rainy, but the sky cleared when the sun was about to set - giving some spread in the colour palette...

Regarding the Jakobshavn Glacier - watch this calving event, recorded some years back. It is beyond imagination how large the Greenland ice sheet is. If the entire Greenland melts (will not happen, but for the illustration) - the global sea level will increase by 7 m. And I remember I was thinking, during the 3-week long cruise along the western coast - that life is far too short to see - and to learn and to experience - a continent like Greenland.

Mamiya 7, 65mm, Fuji Provia 100F, as usual...

Thanks - the photo was taken in early August, 2007.

very nice.  good to see some recent film vintage coming out of that part of the world

When I was in Kashan, Iran, I met this very likeable young man while I was walking through the streets. I asked him to take a photo, and he said no problem, but only with his father. So he went into the house and came back with his father. Although this photo is from the technical point of view not good at all, the father is not sharp, the lightning is not perfect, it is one of my favorite pictures. It is very emotional, you feel the strong relationship, the respect and love between the young man and his father.

best regards

Marc

father (1 von 1).jpg

... i sent you a PN ! Great photo !!

Pink, Boston 2018

M6TTL, 28mm Elmarit, Adox Color Implosion

I think something like this might be what I imagined when I purchased this film. Spectacular composition and subject.

Best,

Wayne

I think this is a terrific shot. I have seen it before somewhere and am happy you posted it. It's very dramatic, from the low viewpoint and the posture of the man to the perfectly captured moving blades. 

An old favorite:
A Kyrgyz Mil-Mi 8 helicopter at Khan Tengri (7010m) and Pik Pobeda (7439m) base camp in the Tien Shan mountains of Kyrgyzstan, about to pick up a group of climbers.
August 2010.
Contax G2, 21mm Biogon, B+W yellow filter and Fuji Acros 100 (in HC-110). Hasselblad X1 Scan.

Another memory from the western coast of Greenland, in this case close to the city/village Ilulissat (meaning 'icebergs'), where one of the largest glacier outlets is found, the Jakobshavn Glacier. I had a one-night stop in Ilulissat, on the way home from a research cruise. The weather was so-so, grey and rainy, but the sky cleared when the sun was about to set - giving some spread in the colour palette...

Regarding the Jakobshavn Glacier - watch this calving event, recorded some years back. It is beyond imagination how large the Greenland ice sheet is. If the entire Greenland melts (will not happen, but for the illustration) - the global sea level will increase by 7 m. And I remember I was thinking, during the 3-week long cruise along the western coast - that life is far too short to see - and to learn and to experience - a continent like Greenland.

Mamiya 7, 65mm, Fuji Provia 100F, as usual...

Great colours! Did you use graduated filter on location or it’s just out of the Provia?