I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So! here and there I read of a film named Kodak Pro Image 100. Although not available now, and maybe never, in United States, I get sort of exited about a new 100 ISO color film. Just having taken the time to search WWW I discover it is not ISO 100, but rather, it is ISO 160. It made me think:...."We already have Portra 160......" Has anyone used this film? Is there any reason for a Yank to pay a premium to have a guy in France send five rolls?

Thanks.

Wayne

• Like 1

Got up this morning, took the Hasselblad 203FE + Schneiber Variogon 140-280mm zoom for a breather. Shot one roll of Kodak Portra 400. Following are four shots from that roll.

First shot, view from the courtyard with coffee, overlooking neighbours roof line.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 17

Third shot, slow yachts on a nearly windlass bay. I never tire of this sight.

• Like 15

Fourth pic. Day's end from my balcony overlooking one of my favourite places.

• Like 17

Testing some new gear, I stumbled across these ducks crossing the road in front of me. I quickly grabbed my Hasselblad 203FE with 110mm Planar lens and shot them on Portra 400. A real grab shot, but may be of interest because they are literally 'on the street'.

• Like 7

Sweeping - La Spezia Italy - June 2018

Portra 160 - Summicron 50 - M6

• Like 16

Sweeping 2 - Lucca Italy - June 2018

Portra 400 - Summicron 50 - M6

• Like 16

The two last pictures are excellent. It amazes me to see these ancient brooms - I don't remember the last time I saw this kind of broom in action. 

My next picture is from Palma again:

Minilux - Ektar

• Like 18

And one more:

Edited by Sparkassenkunde
  • Like 16

Hi Rog and thanks.

It was a display of some photos in a public area shot through glass, IIRC. I could see the potential for the reflection of a passer-by to become part of the bigger picture, I waited (not long) and snapped. Just the one exposure, trusting on my framing and timing. I could have hung around and fired a few more, but with the uncertainty of the result I moved on. I think my point of departure that day must have been 'anything that caught my eye'; I have lots of days like that! :)

Oh, yes, I see it, now! Very subtle and so cool your keen eye caught the passerby that looks exactly like he's part of the composition on the bottom left. Well, he is because you put him there. And the adjoining photographs just made the narrative complete in an abstract way with the girl peeking through the Venetian blinds and the "blinding" glare of the figure in the top photograph. One of those lucky moments that you just happened to be primed to catch. Good show.

Cheers,

Rog

• Like 1

Another shot from the cathedral of Martina Franca. little guy probably up to no good!

M6, Summicron 35 asph, Tri-X

41705038990_001f1ffdea_b.jpg

20180708-DSC00468 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

I got a great deal on an excellent FM2! It's a camera I've always wanted! It came with a 28/2.8 and a pancake 50/1.8. It's going to be my camera for the weekend (or at least that's the tentative plan)

• Like 18

Thank you Rog, and also for the links which I think provide wonderful inspiration. I shot that photo on my way to the Institute of International Humanitarian Law while in uniform. I normally don't use a camera on such occasions but sometimes one must break rules.

I agree with you regarding out of focus highlights, which can tend to dominate a blurry photo unless they're somehow incorporated into the image. Like in the second link you posted; there, they serve to give the image a sort of rigid structure on which the rest of its contents metaphorically 'hangs'. 

Blur can be such an artful technique, especially getting just the right amount of blur to satisfy an aesthetic statement that works. Too much blur risks subject recognition; not enough may look like a focusing error. What's interesting about your "San remo" is the very artistic control of blur and the absence of burdensome bokeh that can be distracting. Hooray!

Here are some blur links for reference:

BLUR links

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/49/fd/d9/49fdd95b5b49484e6a3f599b06627454--photo-blur-good-photos.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/24/20/6b/24206b60d52b7a47f04ebecd006f0ec3--urban-life-contemporary-photography.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b8/0d/dd/b80ddd84846e8f31c5a5e40945150174.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9e/7f/8a/9e7f8ad3c855e13d7d829b237c6ee1fc.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/63/41/7a/63417aae45ae9120f139da181934c78d--distortion-photography-urban-photography.jpg

http://www.artnet.com/WebServices/images/ll00147lldTCjGFgnkECfDrCWvaHBOcSZCC/david-armstrong-flatiron-building-nyc.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7a/df/77/7adf778d35713ae1173cd83f5c06918f.jpg

Cheers,
Rog

• Like 1

The Williamsburg Bridge in bokeh @ pre-dawn ;) (for Rog :) )

Ektar (6x9)

Linhof Technika Press 23, 100mm Zeiss Planar

Awesome bokeh, even with subtle star effect, no less! This ought find a market with your avant-garde clientele!

• Like 1