I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone, my schedule was tight in the last months and I have to admit that I had some kind of a low in regard to photography. In the last weeks I began to grab my gear, though. So, from now on I hope to give something back to all of you, who are so constantly sharing your fascinating pieces of art and everyday life from around the world. At the very moment I am scanning a roll of Ektar, exposed in my Minilux on a short trip to Palma de Mallorca and on a vacation with my son and his class from school. The following Jesus statue, which was just about 20 cm tall, caught my attention in a showcase in the cathedral of Palma:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14

I like this Antonio - I think for me it's the contrast and the glow.

Question for you, please: how did you determine exposure - meter for the highlights (the lighting) and add a stop, one and a half, or two possibly?

Thanks, Steve.

I think I metered slightly away from the lights instead of metering for the lights and overexposing. I remember thinking that I did not want to completely blow the light bulbs because they are part of the sign. I think I was at 1/30 F2. Something around that.

However I think it worked out ok because the sign was reflecting on the road. I guess a suspended sign would have not given the same effect. 

• Like 2

Recent sale - 48x36” Fuji Flex mounted on 1/4” plexiglass with a 1/8” black sintra backing.

Purchased by a lovely young Lebanese woman who is working temporarily in NYC in the financial industry and will be moving back to Lebenon soon.

attachicon.gif93C5A5E1-4797-4383-9F24-39A5BEDEB773.jpeg

attachicon.gif9799199D-9A26-4800-A23C-6919C87A81AB.jpeg

attachicon.gif4601CFC8-6F31-4FD6-92FB-1B0D335BFE95.jpeg

Congratulations I'm sure it's a satisfying feeling know a print of yours is hanging on the other side of the world.

• Like 1

Double Cad Scarlet Triptych

M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm LHSA Rollei Redbird

• Like 11

Thank you

Thank you yet again Rog. I will listen to some more Martha Argerich tonight, after I've finished with Daniel Lanois' fabulous Belladonna. Mind you, I'm a bit more of an AC/DC man myself - Whole Lotta Rosie, She's Got Balls - that sort of thing. Also on my homework list is to watch Solaris at some time. I've looked at buying one of the Bartos books, but only Yard Sale is available at anything like a reasonable price. Political Abstraction, too, should enter my list. Due to stupidity we in Australia are no longer able to get many books shipped here so we are reliant on the local sellers. Doon Arbus' The Libraries for example is therefore unobtainable here. Back on the Gibson book, looking up some of the page pairings, the work does indeed seem a bit of a departure for him - perhaps here he puts me more in mind of an Aaron Siskind, where the motifs seem to evolve from a kind of symbology. I am very heartened by his dedication to Mary Ellen Mark. She'd have been chuffed I'd think.

Dostoevsky was wrong. All you have to do is mentally colour-in the polar bear pink. Voilà - no more white polar bear. Which brings me to dissect your palette, and I am thinking it may have once belonged to Matisse. I really like that scarlet/cadmium combination - a quick research reveled images by Jan van Eyck (Portrait of a Man) and various by Patrick Heron who also used that combination to devastating effect. Bravo!

Thanks so much, Phil. You are so dead solid on target: "Which brings me to dissect your palette, and I am thinking it may have once belonged to Matisse. I really like that scarlet/cadmium combination - a quick research reveled images by Jan van Eyck (Portrait of a Man) and various by Patrick Heron who also used that combination to devastating effect."

Heavy company with the palette--Matisse, van Eyck, and Patrick Heron (who is completely off my radar)! Uncanny, the van Eyck colors and the Heron "Trans-Atlantic Dialogues" (if I remember) with the vertical color fields. You are one sharp-eyed guy.

Cheers,

Rog

• Like 1

Yes! I didn't know of his trans-Atlantic dialogues, but I see certain parallels (ha ha): http://www.sothebys.com/en/news-video/blogs/all-blogs/london-calling/2014/11/patrick-heron-trans.html

Another artist whose palette and yours roughly coincides is Stuart Davis: https://www.moma.org/collection/works/62797?artist_id=1412&locale=es&page=1&sov_referrer=artist

I was lucky enough to see an exhibition of his wonderful work at MOMA in 2016.

Double Cad Scarlet Triptych really works in that long narrow format - and there is that devastating ochre and red again!

Edited by stray cat

Don’t call me a “Softee” if I am just hungry for more of these awesome shots. Really good show of complementary colors. You really know how to whet the appetite!

Thanks Rog,

I must set aside another day for searching the complimentary in this colourful world of ours. Advertisements are a good source, together with a longer lens to isolate the detail.

• Like 2

I really like this one Rog and think the narrow panoramic format works extremely well. And I like that there's texture to be seen in each of the different colours which sends the mind off on a search to figure out what they are.

br

Philip

Double Cad Scarlet Triptych
M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm LHSA Rollei Redbird

• Like 1

Leica M7 & 50mm Zeiss Planar - Ilford Delta100 & orange/red filter

• Like 16

Another van

Ektar, Pentax mx, 135 f/3.5

What a nice color on this van. Perfect framing!

In the following snapshot I just love the color rendition of Ektar:

Minilux - Kodak Ektar

• Like 9

And here comes another picture from Palma:

• Like 17