I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

American friends, Happy 4th of July.

The socials are full of American flag pictures, so I'll drop one here!

Olympus Mju + some kind of very expired Seattle Filmworks 400 iso film - lab processed & scanned

Long Creek, OR

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 15

For the 4th of July, one I took last year.

Leica IIIa, 50mm Elmar, Ilford FP4

• Like 14

Film friends.

Anyone recall a flurry of threads a while back about backing paper on 120 rolls sticking to the film, damaging it?
What particular brand/model of film was it if you can recall? I recalled it being Kodak, but can't recall if it was Portra and if Portra, whether 160 or 400?
Gary

Film friends.

Anyone recall a flurry of threads a while back about backing paper on 120 rolls sticking to the film, damaging it?

What particular brand/model of film was it if you can recall? I recalled it being Kodak, but can't recall if it was Portra and if Portra, whether 160 or 400?

Gary

It was Kodak TMAX
  • Like 1

Polaroid 200 OneFilm, C-41, Germany. Don't know how long it was in the office desk before it was given to me. 

Exposed in Zorki with Jupiter-12. C-41 at home.

Edited by Ko.Fe.
  • Like 15

I've had the experience with TriX. I think it covered pretty much the whole Kodak 120 catalogue. Worse for some films.

Thank you (so far) Adam and Wayne.

My 2:00 o'clock in the morning lightbulb moment was the fact I am taking a serious amount of Portra 400 to Europe in a month, and do not want this sort of issue. If it is an issue then I will save the space and weight and not take 120. Or try a different brand/style.

Most of the research thus far says B&W as eluded here, but the old woman in me still worries.

Gary

Like activatedfx above I have been missing from this forum for some time with just an occasional look in. The quality of work has been fantastic.

No new photos to show as I haven't been taking pictures either. However just the other night I reworked some old scans and Wayne's comment above about his Hasselblad struck a chord with me. I have had two of them at different times but sold both. I really liked the Zeiss lenses (particularly the 60mm and the 150mm) but didn't really get along with the body, even with a prism finder attached. Anyway here's one from a few years back:

p2953905507-5.jpg

Yellow Thing, 2012

Hasselblad 500C/M, 60mm Distagon, Velvia 100

There's a serious joke that whenever a CIA agent sees flowers at noon, he looks for the funeral. "Yellow Thing!" How mesmerizing and ominous in the bright noonday sun. "Yellow Thing!" Can't even name it! This is so Tarkovsky, so "Stalker." For photographers, it's homage to 6x6 and 35mm, simultaneously; the aspect ratio of the "Yellow Thing" itself is 6x6, but it's divided into thirds horizontally, partitioned on the bottom into a 35mm aspect ratio of 2:3 with 24 squares, 4x6. All right, a tad over the top, perhaps something that would occur only to the Professor in "Stalker" as he enters the Zone. Added to your astute list of recommendations, I suggest "Stalker", taking note of Tarkovsky's innovative ways of photographing the face. "Yellow Thing" with its symmetrical composition we learn is generally reserved for the "traditional," like the serif font of Times Roman is classic as opposed to sans serif Arial of Macy's modern. What I am getting to is the tension that "Yellow Thing" creates with its classic use of space, even paradoxically reducing the square subject to only two dimensions, invites speculation about the other sides, the dimensional aspect that you have purposely omitted. There's evidence of habitation in the background, a shed, and the roadway of dry grass. Evidence! I am indebted to you for mentioning Larry Sultan and Mike Mandel's book "Evidence." Applause. The jury is still out on whether this is actually an anti-photography book for me. Evidence. The color snap of Velvia 100 and your yellow thing evidence is looking almost atomic, like you're keeping your Chernobyl distance with the Geiger counter chattering. Never mind, you've got your bullet-proof Blad. There are outtakes, perimeter reconnaissance, but this "Yellow Thing" is the only one that survives from the eyes only file.

• Like 5

Terrific shots, these and the previous ones. This one in particular is just absolutely wonderful.

Br

Philip

A few more with the 500 C/M 85/2.8 and home developed Provia 100F.

Retired NYFD Fire Boat painted in the "Dazzle" patterns of WWII. Brooklyn Bridge Park.
DSC03034.jpg

• Like 3

A few more with the 500 C/M 85/2.8 and home developed Provia 100F.

Emergency Call Box with ghostly transparent face. Manhattan Bridge.

DSC03026.jpg

Harley Police Special. DUMBO Brooklyn.
DSC03028.jpg

Retired NYFD Fire Boat painted in the "Dazzle" patterns of WWII. Brooklyn Bridge Park.
DSC03034.jpg

FLH. Man how I want one.  Outstanding photographs.

• Like 1

The Fallen

Minox Riga (USSR), Fuji Superia 100

• Like 10

Minox Riga USSR, Fuji Superia 100 expired

• Like 11

This is probably the wrong place for this, but I wanted film shooters to see it.

I'm using an Epson 4870 scanner. I scanned some stuff at 300dpi, but it didn't look good. So, I scanned it at 3200. It looked great, but it takes an hour and a half to scan a roll of film.

I'm only scanning for internet use. If I want wall hangers, I'll get the scan and print done professionally.

So,how are you all scanning?

Advice?

Sorry if this is an inappropriate post for this thread,

Matt