I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Museum of Contemporary Art, Denver CO

Ektar 100 - 2/50 Summicron v4 - M6

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 18

Kiev IV, 50/2 Sonnar (Soviet,) Holga 400

• Like 17

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First attempt at self-developing Ektar 100. The negative looks good, but I've yet to work out how to get the colours correct in the scan (This was using LR and reversing the Curve sliders). Daughter waiting for breakfast in Don Vang, Vietnam...

(SWC w/ Ektar 100)

41960460112_ef61004b9f_b.jpgB001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Hi Eoin,

Ektar has a high propensity to err towards cyan - a start would be to go into Image: Adjustments: Selective Color: Neutral and slide the cyan slider to about -10. See how that looks and adjust from there.

• Like 4

Hi Eoin,

Ektar has a high propensity to err towards cyan - a start would be to go into Image: Adjustments: Selective Color: Neutral and slide the cyan slider to about -10. See how that looks and adjust from there.

Thanks, Phil.

Using Vuescan (which works well for me in B&W), something is going skew-wiff. The positive image appearing in Vuescan is good, but the negative image from the scan is very, very dark (ie overexposed). When I scan the same negative with Epson, I get this (unedited)...

27137959587_a44dccdf6a_b.jpgB001a by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

...and this, once I start adding some contrast in LR...

28134935498_cd3e0c6109_b.jpgB001b by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Vuescan is also getting a mind of its own on cropping. With a strip of 3 6x6 images (in a Plustek 120), the first image comes out as square, 2nd as landscape, and the 3rd as portrait, despite scanning individually, and cropping to square on each. This only just happened in the last 2 days - before that I have scanned hundreds of 6x6's without any cropping issues.

I suspect it is karma... :ph34r:

• Like 10

Congrats on the home development, Eoin.  I think you're off to a great start!

First attempt at self-developing Ektar 100. The negative looks good, but I've yet to work out how to get the colours correct in the scan (This was using LR and reversing the Curve sliders). Daughter waiting for breakfast in Don Vang, Vietnam...

(SWC w/ Ektar 100)

B001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

:)

attachicon.gifimg3h39.jpg

Kiev IV, 50/2 Sonnar (Soviet,) Holga 400

• Like 2

Tri-X

NYC

• Like 18

Happy latino window shoppers...

5th Avenue

M-A, 28, Portra 400

• Like 16

Thanks, Phil.

Using Vuescan (which works well for me in B&W), something is going skew-wiff. The positive image appearing in Vuescan is good, but the negative image from the scan is very, very dark (ie overexposed). When I scan the same negative with Epson, I get this (unedited)...

27137959587_a44dccdf6a_b.jpgB001a by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

...and this, once I start adding some contrast in LR...

28134935498_cd3e0c6109_b.jpgB001b by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Vuescan is also getting a mind of its own on cropping. With a strip of 3 6x6 images (in a Plustek 120), the first image comes out as square, 2nd as landscape, and the 3rd as portrait, despite scanning individually, and cropping to square on each. This only just happened in the last 2 days - before that I have scanned hundreds of 6x6's without any cropping issues.

I suspect it is karma... :ph34r:

Eoin, I don't understand why you are getting a 'negative' image from your scan. Ektar is a difficult film to deal with properly, but it sounds like you are using different VueScan settings from what I would choose. Selecting 'Color Negative' in the Media under Input tab should give you a direct Positive scan.

• Like 1

Eoin, I don't understand why you are getting a 'negative' image from your scan. Ektar is a difficult film to deal with properly, but it sounds like you are using different VueScan settings from what I would choose. Selecting 'Color Negative' in the Media under Input tab should give you a direct Positive scan.

Hi, Erl.

Something is wrong with my settings. I'm using 'Colour Negative', and it's ending up as a very dark negative file. In the (positive) previews, the 'Generic' setting is so-so, but the 'Ektar' setting is atrocious. I'm very happy with Vuescan for B&W, but haven't gelled with it on Colour yet. The Epson software is very straightforward, though (although missing the quality of the Plustek 120).

I'll keep working at it, when I can muster the enthusiasm.

Cheers,

Eoin

Burial jars Egypt - R8

• Like 12