I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good thing she brought the flash :D 

11 hours ago, cobbu2 said:

Santa Monica Beach a few years ago (obviously)

M6, 50mm f/2.8 Elmar-M, 400TMY

I actually like the top photo because it matches the impression I have from the scene, being a winter scene under a dull sky. The colours look more natural to my eyes than the photo below which has a slight cast. 

17 hours ago, John Robinson said:

One of the fascinating things about digital image processing is thinking through the extent to which it emulates techniques learned in the wet darkroom.  Looking at my picture of the melting snowman, I realised that, were I working with an enlarger (albeit in monochrome) I would likely make several prints with some dodging and burning before I arrived at something I was happy with.  In the digital world and putting to one side any manipulation of the film development step (in my case, I leave it to a mini-lab), the raw scan is like the negative, the software (in my case Capture One) is like the manipulation on the enlarger (cropping, adjusting etc) and the output (emulating the print) a 16bit TIFF file.  The Jpeg for web use or a paper print is derived from the TIFF.

A purist of course would argue that an AdobeRGB TIFF file can only be evaluated on a properly-calibrated, wide-gamut monitor.  I don't have one of those but find that my hardware-locked sRGB does a reasonable job (particularly with the sRGB Jpeg).  I recognise that once that Jpeg is put out on the web, it is impossible to control what sort of screen it will display on.

My first attempt at the snowman is below.  I thought it was too dark (although this was reasonably accurate given the dull lighting conditions under a leaden sky) so I did a second attempt (posted above at #74763) but on reflection I think that is too light.  The challenge with white on white is how to keep some texture in the snow.  The third attempt (below) includes quite a lot of dodging (in wet darkroom terms) using the soft masking feature of Capture One.

An amazing landscape, wow. And just brilliant colours from the shadows to the highlights.

1 hour ago, 3oob said:

USA

Nikon FA / Ektar 25 / 50mm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tourists in Innsbruck (Austria) in May 2008 (Leica R4, Elmarit-R-24, Kodak TMX 100):

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 13

And Then
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion

• Like 12

1 hour ago, lekitr said:

Sorry dont have a cat, you may see this young fellow from time to time.  Haven’t shot a lot of tri-x for the last 30 years or so.  Lately i revisited it and we shared an old bottle... of rodinal.  M4 bp 50 summicron 4th.  

Wonderful expression! And a fabulous combination, Tri-X and Rodinal. 

• Like 1

Sit ..

Canon AF35ML, ADOX Silvermax 100

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

End of day by Dmitry Gorochovsky, on Flickr

M2-R | Summicron-M 35mm f/2 v1 | Agfa APX 400, PMK Pyro

• Like 19

Rolleicord, Portra 400

• Like 12

1 hour ago, dimm said:

End of day by Dmitry Gorochovsky, on Flickr

M2-R | Summicron-M 35mm f/2 v1 | Agfa APX 400, PMK Pyro

Great photo. What makes film so alluring!

Just wondering whether the fuzziness of the people--which makes the photo so interesting--is due to very low light photography or somehow the PMK development.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Just wondering whether the fuzziness of the people--which makes the photo so interesting--is due to very low light photography or somehow the PMK development.

By the look of the girl shoes it seems to be motion blur.  Nice picture

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Thank you.Film was exposed as 400 and it was end of day and low light conditions. So...

I started develop with PMK only recently. Interesting developer, but most of films should be exposed 1 stop slower (or so I get from timing tables I got from internet). That's make it very hard to use for street photography which is my main interest.

• Like 2