I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"Typical" Kent Coastal landscape?  Sea grasses; bunkers; cooling towers (now gone).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica M6, Summicron-M (III) 1:2/50mm, Ektar 100, Nikon CS5000ED, cropped and adjusted in Capture One.

• Like 16

Yes. And that was twenty years ago. Imagine how the Viking descendants dress today...Reminds me of this photo project (which I liked, I should add).

http://www.johanbavman.se/swedish-dads/

On 11/20/2020 at 10:43 AM, verwackelt said:

Vikings in white socks and sandals 😉

I like this montage Rog. Like the Death Star hanging above a golden sea.

On 11/21/2020 at 7:14 AM, Ernest said:

Calibration
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion

Great shot Thomas :)

On 11/21/2020 at 8:56 AM, thschm said:

Passau 09/2020

Leica M4, Summaron 3,5/35, Ilford FP4+

You're really handling that Mamiya perfectly Ken. I'm also really impressed with the tonal gradation in this photo. Just look at all the grey tones in the foreground, wow.

On 11/21/2020 at 3:15 PM, bags27 said:

Mamiya 7 80 mm HP5+ in HC110-B

Brilliant Antonio. Wonderful Fibonacci framing :)

On 11/21/2020 at 5:32 PM, AntonioF said:

Entrance - Matera - Pentax 6x7, Takumar 105/2.4, Expired Portra 160

What a great story, thank you for sharing it John. I am always happy to read about good relationships with mother-in-laws :) Joking aside, I love it when these time travel wormholes appear, where an artefact connects two points across time in a single place. 

On 11/21/2020 at 7:29 PM, johnwolf said:

My mother-in-law left me her Rolleiflex 3.5F Planar when she passed away. She bought it new in 1961, so it's 60 years old this year. I used it a few times over the years, the last time in 1978. It's been in storage since then. I just had it serviced and here's a shot from the first roll.

This picture is of the Naperville, IL community pool. It's a fitting photograph because, as a child in the 1930s, my mother-in-law used to swim here, riding her horse from the neighboring town of Hinsdale. At that time our community pool was a rock quarry.

Amazing, both the photo and this bizarre custom that has reared its, imho ugly, head in the last decade.

On 11/21/2020 at 8:10 PM, Suede said:

Let's meet for a beer.... over the phone..    [Extrafilm 200]

Very well done Steve. And a really interesting place too. It must have been pretty impressive sight two thousand years ago.

On 11/21/2020 at 11:18 PM, Ouroboros said:
Broch of Gurness, Orkney. An Iron Age broch.
Hasselblad 503cw
Zeiss 50mm distagon cfi
Lee 22
Delta 400

Lovely scene Klaus. I see one of the species native to Pritam's region of the globe grows there, too :D 

On 11/22/2020 at 12:01 AM, Kl@usW. said:

on the last day of my fall vacation there was enough sun to give the Ektar a run... 

MP, Summaron 2,8/35; Ektar 100

Wow dreamy! And not easy to do with a lens as sharp as that one.

20 hours ago, Xícara de Café said:

Nikon F2, Micro-Nikkor 55mm 1:2.8, Kodak Portra 160.

Very cool Gary. Incidentally if anyone's interested in a book about books throughout history check out Grand Strategies by Charles Hill. Gulliver's Travels features in it.

14 hours ago, gbealnz said:

Lilliputian garden (I could just touch the handle/lock on the gate)

HP5+ in Caffenol

This is an interesting series, thank you. 

12 hours ago, crf59 said:

This one is some kind of work cart. My father had notes that the brick around the harbor area was part of the restoration after the war. I don't think Marken was bombed or damaged, I think it was some form of stimulus aid. 

And what a vehicle. I bet parking must be a challenge...

12 hours ago, crf59 said:

And if you are a car fan like me, this is some sort of high end Daimler from the 50s in London. Note the side panels on the car. Leica M3, 50mm Summicron, Kodak pre-Kodachrome slide film.

You do the BEST environmental portraits Pritam. Wonderful.

12 hours ago, Suede said:

Nicole on a roll...   [Tri-X]

Wonderful colour and composition, Jean-Marc. 

9 hours ago, JMF said:

From 1996 in Venezia

winter in Venezia by JM__, on Flickr

Ektachrome 100 HC on Hexar AF

I think it's easy to overlook a photo like this but for me it raises heaps of questions about what was here, who built whatever it was and why it was destroyed. And add the layer of Steve's Gurness Broch and we've suddenly again entered one of those photographic wormholes but on some meta level where the time has been replaced by subject-matter similarity across space (I actually don't know what that means, btw :rolleyes:). And then add another layer, namely the camera used, and our wormhole suddenly divides into a third (or is it fifth by now?) dimension and we're suddenly in Ken's fence photo and can marvel at how the magicians at both Ilford and Orwo manage to squeeze all those grey tones into a little bit film.

8 hours ago, fotomas said:

Mamiya 7II, 80 mm, ORWO NP15

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

Ancient, unidentified ruined church, rural Kent.

Leica M2, Summicron (I) f=5cm 1:2m Fuji Superia 100, Nikon SC5000ED, cropped and adjusted in Capture One.

• Like 16

evening chill  in Taiz by JM__, on Flickr

After sunset, Taiz , Yemen by JM__, on Flickr

2003, Taiz, Yemen

Kodak E200 on Hexar AF

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, philipus said:

Yes. And that was twenty years ago. Imagine how the Viking descendants dress today...Reminds me of this photo project (which I liked, I should add).

http://www.johanbavman.se/swedish-dads/

I like this montage Rog. Like the Death Star hanging above a golden sea.

Great shot Thomas :)

You're really handling that Mamiya perfectly Ken. I'm also really impressed with the tonal gradation in this photo. Just look at all the grey tones in the foreground, wow.

Brilliant Antonio. Wonderful Fibonacci framing :)

What a great story, thank you for sharing it John. I am always happy to read about good relationships with mother-in-laws :) Joking aside, I love it when these time travel wormholes appear, where an artefact connects two points across time in a single place. 

Amazing, both the photo and this bizarre custom that has reared its, imho ugly, head in the last decade.

Very well done Steve. And a really interesting place too. It must have been pretty impressive sight two thousand years ago.

Lovely scene Klaus. I see one of the species native to Pritam's region of the globe grows there, too :D 

Wow dreamy! And not easy to do with a lens as sharp as that one.

Very cool Gary. Incidentally if anyone's interested in a book about books throughout history check out Grand Strategies by Charles Hill. Gulliver's Travels features in it.

This is an interesting series, thank you. 

And what a vehicle. I bet parking must be a challenge...

You do the BEST environmental portraits Pritam. Wonderful.

Wonderful colour and composition, Jean-Marc. 

I think it's easy to overlook a photo like this but for me it raises heaps of questions about what was here, who built whatever it was and why it was destroyed. And add the layer of Steve's Gurness Broch and we've suddenly again entered one of those photographic wormholes but on some meta level where the time has been replaced by subject-matter similarity across space (I actually don't know what that means, btw :rolleyes:). And then add another layer, namely the camera used, and our wormhole suddenly divides into a third (or is it fifth by now?) dimension and we're suddenly in Ken's fence photo and can marvel at how the magicians at both Ilford and Orwo manage to squeeze all those grey tones into a little bit film.

Thanks so much for taking the time to appreciate our efforts, Phil, as we so very much appreciate yours!

• Like 3

New York City Serenade #2. Dusty old negs revisited. 1980. Leica M4, Tri X.

• Like 19

I am now the happy owner of a ”new” Leica M4. Following this thread and digging into all old archive negs has been so inspiring. I just could not resist the temptation to go back. I’m an old nostalgic fool, but why not enjoy all what you can in these horrible isolation times. I posted a picture in the Leica film camera thread. ”Back to basics”.  :))

Edited by Bo-Sixten
  • Like 10

Am 9.11.2020 um 11:25 schrieb Kl@usW.:

I love this, fotomas.   I see the "Düsseldorfer Schule" shine through... 

Thanks Klaus!
Took me quite some time to answer, but alway to much work to do.
Indeed it was taken less then 19 kilometers away from the Düsseldorf school, where the Becher's still was teaching in these days and I used a film that they have also used. Agfapan 25. Unfortunately it wasn't available as sheet film anymore, even in these days (but still was in 135 and 120). It had expired 10 years ago in 1976. I took a second exposure on 125 ASA film, but the AP 25 showed way more details and sharpness, even in 4x5 inches.

vor 12 Stunden schrieb philipus:

Thanks Philipus!
I work in a building next to this wormhole and I always wonder when it will be absorbed by this. They are doing no more repairs and so it looks like we are on the way. Formerly there was an huge industrial complex at this place and that's may be a small bit was is left of it, but seemed like there is constant change and growing going on there and more and more new stuff appeared. Mother nature has also taken a bit of it back. I mix up a bit of photochemical home-brew stuff to make the ORWO even more magic, but truly it is without any doubt. NP15 is one of the nicest films I know.
As long as we are not absorbed by the wormhole I will continue taking pictures of it.

Here is another one from this scenery:

Toyo View 810, 300 mm, ClassicPan 400 18 x 24 cm, D-96 special

• Like 13

Mamiya 7 80mm HP5+ HC110-B

• Like 10

New York 1993 Minox GT-E Fuji Slide

• Like 19

Passau 09/2020

Leica M4, Summaron 3,5/35, Ilford FP4+

• Like 16

Nikon F2 Photomic, Micro-Nikkor 55mm 1:2.8 Ais, Kodak Portra 160.

• Like 15

Strawberry Fields, Central Park, October 9, 1985, shortly after the dedication ceremony.  The larger bunch of flowers was placed by Yoko.

Yashica FX-3, Kodacolor VR 200 . . . 

• Like 16

8th Avenue at 57th Street, NYC, late 1980's . . . 

Some weekends the piano man would pull the piano (on a wooden dolly) to somewhere around the Columbus Circle entrance to Central Park and proceed to play . . . beautifully . . .

Canon EOS 650, Kodacolor VR-G 200 . . . 

• Like 18