I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Whaaaat? Oh noooo! Now you've RUINED the illusion for me :D :D 

14 hours ago, Ernest said:

Thanks, but not to worry. It's just an architectural abstract detail of my local car wash. 

On another note though, if I can be a bit, hmmm, philosophical perhaps. Take the average landscape, or better still cat picture, posted somewhere, like on Instagram or Flickr. From the perspective of component image parts there's arguably less variety in such photos, esp the cat bloody pictures :) 

Anyway, there's no requirement to understand any art. I'm not saying this to 'defend' Rog's (in my view intelligently conceived and masterfully executed) constructs. I'm saying it in relation to my own stuff. I very much welcome discussion and negative and positive feedback on my photos, and think that the fact that this happens in this thread in a civilised manner (which isn't often the case here at LUF unfortunately) is a true testament to the genuine commitment and strong interest in film that those who frequent this thread have. It is after all a truly enormous collection of film photography and regularly features as the most active thread on this vast forum.

16 hours ago, FrozenInTime said:

Distinctive , pages and pages of similar, with lots of likes , but I just don't get it, sorry; what am I missing ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, stray cat said:

I can't tell you what you're missing. I can say that the growing series of - I call them "assemblages" - by Rog (Ernest) represent a distinct and highly original departure from what we are perhaps used to here - I'd even go so far as to say that they are a departure from what many would consider straight or direct photography. They are works assembled from fragments of the real world - concrete, metal, graffiti, paper, print blocks etc - that seek to question much of what we take as "normal" in our photographic vision. The are typically modeled on the intellectual examinations associated with various artists or art theoreticians - for example Diebenkorn has been at the forefront of the work recently, and color theory regarding interaction of color as proposed and promulgated by Josef Albers (among others) is a constant and continuing fascination.

I can't tell you what you are missing or propose why you don't get it. I can tell you that these works greatly enrich the "I Like Film" thread because Rog uses film - and its inherent qualities of grain and the non-linear, non-digital tonal response - as an essential part of his work. He has written clearly himself about many of the works and, should you be interested, a search back to find some of these explications might prove fruitful.

Thanks for giving me some pointers ... making me investigate the underlying expression in the work from Rog.  Anything which leads to thought  must be good.

I did look at he work of Diebenkorn and Feininger Rog/Ernest referred to in other posts; parts of their work I appreciate , with a leaning to where there is a determinable subject being represented ; Josef Albers was too far away from that for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/8/2020 at 3:01 PM, christoph_d said:

The great thing about this forum is inspiration. A hundred pages back (give or take a few 🙂) one of you posted a number of wonderful B&W double exposures. I had always wondered what "that little lever" was for, on top of my Contax S2, and started to actually use it for a while. So here the first result, taken with the nice Contax Planar 1.4/50 - a worthy competitor of the Summilux 1.4/50. Soft edges and a shallow depth of field, together with the beautiful colours of Portra 160 on an overcast day...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Contax S2, 1.4/50, Portra 160

Inspirational Christoph!
I’ve just tooled-up with a Nikon F100 to be able to take multi-exposures without disturbing the camera, courtesy of an electric motor for film transport and a multi exposure setting.

I’ve tried it with digital but it somehow looks quite false to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 18 Stunden schrieb stray cat:

I can't tell you what you're missing. I can say that the growing series of - I call them "assemblages" - by Rog (Ernest) represent a distinct and highly original departure from what we are perhaps used to here - I'd even go so far as to say that they are a departure from what many would consider straight or direct photography. They are works assembled from fragments of the real world - concrete, metal, graffiti, paper, print blocks etc - that seek to question much of what we take as "normal" in our photographic vision. The are typically modeled on the intellectual examinations associated with various artists or art theoreticians - for example Diebenkorn has been at the forefront of the work recently, and color theory regarding interaction of color as proposed and promulgated by Josef Albers (among others) is a constant and continuing fascination.

I can't tell you what you are missing or propose why you don't get it. I can tell you that these works greatly enrich the "I Like Film" thread because Rog uses film - and its inherent qualities of grain and the non-linear, non-digital tonal response - as an essential part of his work. He has written clearly himself about many of the works and, should you be interested, a search back to find some of these explications might prove fruitful.

Thank you for this evaluation, Phil. Nothing to add; perhaps how much I treasure the experience of the ride on which Rog is taking us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 12 Minuten schrieb Steve Ricoh:

I’ve tried it with digital but it somehow looks quite false to me.

Made the same experience, Steve. The analogue double exposures look a lot different and much better than  the digital double exposures. Don't have a clue why. 

K. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

vor 5 Stunden schrieb AntonioF:

Well, it's getting cold also in Southern Italy. Beaches are empty. I hope I'll be able to get in the water one more time before wintertime. I still have 2-3 rolls from last summer to develop, though! 

The sea unites the countries that it separates - Leica M6, Summicron 50, Kodak Double X 5222 @ 400

Nice picture with a great tonality , Antonio.

I´m in Italy right now-in the Dolomiti. We  have snow on the hiking tracks..so hurry up with your last swim...

btw: is that Italian written on the wall ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kl@usW. said:

I´m in Italy right now-in the Dolomiti. We  have snow on the hiking tracks..so hurry up with your last swim...

It is, I was intrigued by Antonio's sign off, and wondered that. Flopped it into translate and it was as he said. Learn something every day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Kl@usW. said:

Thanks. That's local dialect. The Italian version would be "il mare unisce i paesi che separa".

Have fun on the Dolomiti!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

23 hours ago, stray cat said:

As we've discussed, it's certainly not easy talking about visual media substantively when there's such a chasm between text and image, particularly in the territory of the abstract, but you have truthfully drawn the perimeters that intrigue me in assembling photographic fragments. There's the notable blur of painting, photography, and mixed media, so what interests me in my work is to consider color, texture, and form as the subject of the work, itself. Lately, Richard Diebenkorn's work has drawn my attention to the construction of perimeters, the way that he defines space by the edges of the work. It's not simply framing, but also leaving bleeds of color without a margin, which intimates a continuation of the color field. Another element that I'm using is Diebenkorn's use of diagonal elements. I've tried to work against the "tyranny of the rectangle" using diagonals, and this is the main thrust of the car wash abstract study. This shot of lime green almost got me arrested by the cops responding to a call from the manager of the car wash who was nervous about "some guy" taking photographs from the sidewalk. Just kidding about getting arrested, but I did explain to the cops I was only taking abstract color shots. "Okay, I get it," the cop said. ( No kidding.) "It's just that there's a lot of stuff goin' on." Really.

Thanks, Phil, for all the tips on books that demand more real estate on my library shelves! I glance over at the shelves now; we haven't discussed Mike and Doug Starn, though. There's a new Ernst Haas book just out that I notice: Ernest Haas: New York in Color, 1952-1962. I paid dearly for his Color Correction and could only get a French publication in new condition.

11 hours ago, philipus said:

Whaaaat? Oh noooo! Now you've RUINED the illusion for me :D :D 

On another note though, if I can be a bit, hmmm, philosophical perhaps. Take the average landscape, or better still cat picture, posted somewhere, like on Instagram or Flickr. From the perspective of component image parts there's arguably less variety in such photos, esp the cat bloody pictures :) 

Anyway, there's no requirement to understand any art. I'm not saying this to 'defend' Rog's (in my view intelligently conceived and masterfully executed) constructs. I'm saying it in relation to my own stuff. I very much welcome discussion and negative and positive feedback on my photos, and think that the fact that this happens in this thread in a civilised manner (which isn't often the case here at LUF unfortunately) is a true testament to the genuine commitment and strong interest in film that those who frequent this thread have. It is after all a truly enormous collection of film photography and regularly features as the most active thread on this vast forum.

Well, I thought that this car wash architecture was a given. It's just that I fell prey to the seductive lime green. Of course, I played with diagonals, so I pulled out some complementary red diagonal fragments from my Diebenkorn palette. The lime green is just a straight shot.

I applaud your comment about the friendly, very informative discussions on "I Like Film" thread. I am reminded of Tom Hanks's box of chocolates line from Forrest Gump. "You never know what you're going to get."

6 hours ago, FrozenInTime said:

Thanks for giving me some pointers ... making me investigate the underlying expression in the work from Rog.  Anything which leads to thought  must be good.

I did look at he work of Diebenkorn and Feininger Rog/Ernest referred to in other posts; parts of their work I appreciate , with a leaning to where there is a determinable subject being represented ; Josef Albers was too far away from that for me.

Consider also painter/photographer work from Robert Rauschenberg, Ed Ruscha, Rosenquist, Close, and color field work from Clyfford Still, Barnett Newman, Robert Mangold, Wayne Thiebaud, and Rothko. There's also Ernst Haas, Robert Heinecken, and Uelsmann.  For blur abstraction, see Gerhard Richter, J.M W. Turner, David Armstrong, Bill Jacobson, Wolfgang Kessler, Peter Loewy,  and Adam Jankowski. 

5 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Thank you for this evaluation, Phil. Nothing to add; perhaps how much I treasure the experience of the ride on which Rog is taking us. 

Thanks, Dr. Klaus. I just had my eyes checked, so I have a 50/50 chance of missing those potholes. 

Edited by Ernest
added
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

The high sun will fade your hats, St Veran.    [Silvermax 100]

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

On 10/13/2020 at 5:03 PM, FrozenInTime said:

Distinctive , pages and pages of similar, with lots of likes , but I just don't get it, sorry; what am I missing ?

I have had a day to think about this. I think you have described it perfectly. I don't think you are missing anything at all. The photos from individual photographers are, in many cases, similar. I imagine most who frequent and contribute are able to guess, accurately, who the photographer is, even before they bother to look. It is wonderful, like visiting a pub where you know, and are comfortable with everyone. Give it a try. But it has to be film........That is all that is asked.

Best,

Wayne

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Social distancing in Central Park ... Adox CHS II ,developed myself in F-39 Type II Leica M4 75MM Summicron

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

Damnit! Another camera found its way home! Just picked up a Hasselblad 503cw. Took it for a test spin over the weekend with a roll of Fuji Pro400h. Home developed and scanned. Already loving this camera! 

• Like 18

Colorado Lagoon Stories No. 9
M-A APO 50 Fuji Natura 1600

• Like 18

Of potential interest to users of Leica M-series film cameras is this: https://www.kamerakraft.com/product-page/kameracraft-first-limited-edition-lmgrip-v1-0

It seems to me to be an incredibly well-designed piece of kit. I've ordered one and will let you know how it is once I've had a chance to put it through its paces. I have no affiliation with the vendor other than that I have ordered one. I can tell you that he replies quickly and helpfully to queries. It's maybe a little pricey - although not all that bad considering the excellent design - but bugger it, it's been a long time in lockdown and I've sold some gear so why not?

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Another cracker of a shot Bo-Sixten. I really enjoy your dusty old negs. 

18 hours ago, Bo-Sixten said:

Dusty old negs revisited. M4, Tri X. Stockholm 1979.

Amazing what you can find in stonework. Better like this, though, at a little round table with a drink and probably a smoke, than put in cement shoes or worse a whole cement coat.

7 hours ago, Suede said:

Find in stonework.   [Silvermax 100]

Great results Steve. The foliage's tonality is exceptionally yummy.

6 hours ago, sblitz said:

Social distancing in Central Park ... Adox CHS II ,developed myself in F-39 Type II Leica M4 75MM Summicron

Congrats Mike, that's a great photo too. We're quite a few here using the Hasselblad so it's really nice to see another photographer. If you're on Instagram I've recently begun a little gallery focusing exclusively on Hasselblad film, appropriately named The Hasselblad Film Gallery. Might be of interest to other people here too.

4 hours ago, mikeamosau said:

Damnit! Another camera found its way home! Just picked up a Hasselblad 503cw. Took it for a test spin over the weekend with a roll of Fuji Pro400h. Home developed and scanned. Already loving this camera! 

This made me smile when I saw it on @Leicafilmfriends but seeing it here makes me realise what a poor experience Instagram is. This is a great photo that will be a true treasure in the future. 

On 10/13/2020 at 4:18 PM, AntonioF said:

When you're exhausted from working in the fields

Leica M6, Summicron 35 asph, Kodak 5222 @ 400

This is so eery Rog, and fits the word "lagoon" perfectly, a word that, at least for me, more calls up images of a creature more than Brooke Shields :) I really like this ominous look which reminds me of the X Files too. I've recently begun re-watching all of it and it strikes me how much they invested in that production. The production design may not be everyone's cup of tea with the sometimes overdone and unrealistic lighting but they really put a lot of effort into creating a consistent slightly oppressive atmosphere in virtually every shot. Like Se7en but without the moisture somehow. I get that vibe here too. It's all unknown at present, but the truth is out there. 

On 10/13/2020 at 10:40 PM, Ernest said:

Colorado Lagoon Stories Diptych
M-A APO 50 Fuji Natura 1600

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2