I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, being an individual who always tries to find the up-side of adverse developments, e.g. shortages of color  35mm film, I have found some joy in the fact that I just ordered 10 rolls of Fuji Pro 400H for less than the current going rate for Fuji Superia 400. :) In fact, I notice, In U.S., the price of the 400H has come down about a couple $ since last time I looked. Also, for some reason, Pro 400H seems to be one of the only color 35mm films that is not "out of stock" or in "low stock" status with my usual sources.

Having just developed a roll of expired Agfa  Vista 200, I am lamenting, once again, the passing of that film..........No up-side to that one. When I WAS able to buy the Agfa Vista, I there was this nagging suspicion that the stuff was just repackaged Fuji Superia; however, I was always able to convince myself that there was a difference......There was "just something" different about the Vista photos.

Best,

Wayne

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 5

I totally agree with you about the Vista films Wayne, the 400 bein my weapon of choice. It is just a wonderful film. Dare I say it (I hope Adam isn't listening in) that I like it equal to Portra 400 which of course comes at a far higher price.

Anyway, this one is on another wonderful C41 film:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Two Jugs, Fitzroy 2011

M6TTL, 35mm Summicron, Ilford XP2 Super

• Like 18

When you're exhausted from working in the fields

Leica M6, Summicron 35 asph, Kodak 5222 @ 400

• Like 5
  • Haha 12

Wash Diptych
M-A APO 50 & Thambar-M  Fuji Natura 1600

• Like 11

Colorado Lagoon Stories Diptych
M-A APO 50 Fuji Natura 1600

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Ernest said:

Wash Diptych
M-A APO 50 & Thambar-M  Fuji Natura 1600

Distinctive , pages and pages of similar, with lots of likes , but I just don't get it, sorry; what am I missing ?

Edited by FrozenInTime

1 hour ago, FrozenInTime said:

Distinctive , pages and pages of similar, with lots of likes , but I just don't get it, sorry; what am I missing ?

Thanks, but not to worry. It's just an architectural abstract detail of my local car wash. 

• Haha 3

On 10/8/2020 at 7:01 AM, christoph_d said:

The great thing about this forum is inspiration. A hundred pages back (give or take a few 🙂) one of you posted a number of wonderful B&W double exposures. I had always wondered what "that little lever" was for, on top of my Contax S2, and started to actually use it for a while. So here the first result, taken with the nice Contax Planar 1.4/50 - a worthy competitor of the Summilux 1.4/50. Soft edges and a shallow depth of field, together with the beautiful colours of Portra 160 on an overcast day...

Contax S2, 1.4/50, Portra 160

I certainly gravitate toward these multiple exposures you're doing!

On 10/11/2020 at 1:31 AM, christoph_d said:

Wouldn't there also be a scene in that film whereby the protagonist is fleeing in panic across the deserted landscape? Here's my quadruple take of that part... (from the viewpoint of the protagonist I might add)

Contax S2, Tokina2,8/24, ProImage100

I know we've talked about Blur Photography and the book titled unscharf nach gerhard richter (all lower case). 

On 10/11/2020 at 9:32 PM, christoph_d said:

Architecture, quadruple exposure.

Contax S2, Tokina 2,8/24, ProImage100

This starts becoming cubist, and the ghosting of the pedestrians adds a whole transit of time effect. Looking forward to some more multiple exposures. I've always been disappointed the analog M cameras didn't allow multiple exposures, a simple button that disengages the film advance to cock the shutter. Something I always like on my trusty old Nikon Photomic F2.

11 hours ago, stray cat said:

I totally agree with you about the Vista films Wayne, the 400 bein my weapon of choice. It is just a wonderful film. Dare I say it (I hope Adam isn't listening in) that I like it equal to Portra 400 which of course comes at a far higher price.

Anyway, this one is on another wonderful C41 film:

Two Jugs, Fitzroy 2011

M6TTL, 35mm Summicron, Ilford XP2 Super

This jumpstarts me into thinking about the pandemic perimeter,  shooting details in the house. Here, the shallow DOF and the quality of the light certainly has a domestic warming effect. I think Matisse would do this. I have a used Matisse book on the way that I'm anxious to peruse in light of the Diebenkorn connection. That table cloth reflection would be a bit of challenge in your Two Jugs to render in painting. Maybe mixed media. You've got that contrast of the highly reflective metal and the painted jug. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FrozenInTime said:

I can't tell you what you're missing. I can say that the growing series of - I call them "assemblages" - by Rog (Ernest) represent a distinct and highly original departure from what we are perhaps used to here - I'd even go so far as to say that they are a departure from what many would consider straight or direct photography. They are works assembled from fragments of the real world - concrete, metal, graffiti, paper, print blocks etc - that seek to question much of what we take as "normal" in our photographic vision. The are typically modeled on the intellectual examinations associated with various artists or art theoreticians - for example Diebenkorn has been at the forefront of the work recently, and color theory regarding interaction of color as proposed and promulgated by Josef Albers (among others) is a constant and continuing fascination.

I can't tell you what you are missing or propose why you don't get it. I can tell you that these works greatly enrich the "I Like Film" thread because Rog uses film - and its inherent qualities of grain and the non-linear, non-digital tonal response - as an essential part of his work. He has written clearly himself about many of the works and, should you be interested, a search back to find some of these explications might prove fruitful.

• Like 8

Covid dining. M4-P 35 f/1.4 FLE Delta 100 in HC-110 H formula

• Like 12

Shipping might be an issue but Maco in ze Zermany has Vista.

https://www.macodirect.de/search?sSearch=Agfa+vista

22 hours ago, Wayne said:

Well, being an individual who always tries to find the up-side of adverse developments, e.g. shortages of color  35mm film, I have found some joy in the fact that I just ordered 10 rolls of Fuji Pro 400H for less than the current going rate for Fuji Superia 400. :) In fact, I notice, In U.S., the price of the 400H has come down about a couple $ since last time I looked. Also, for some reason, Pro 400H seems to be one of the only color 35mm films that is not "out of stock" or in "low stock" status with my usual sources.

Having just developed a roll of expired Agfa  Vista 200, I am lamenting, once again, the passing of that film..........No up-side to that one. When I WAS able to buy the Agfa Vista, I there was this nagging suspicion that the stuff was just repackaged Fuji Superia; however, I was always able to convince myself that there was a difference......There was "just something" different about the Vista photos.

Best,

Wayne

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, philipus said:

Shipping might be an issue but Maco in ze Zermany has Vista.

https://www.macodirect.de/search?sSearch=Agfa+vista

Thanks for the link. "No longer available" at time I visited.  I was impressed with pricing for other films. Not too bad.

I suppose, in past, I have complained about Fuji and Kodak raising the prices of films; in retrospect, considering the realities of production, I have to give them credit for doing what is necessary to keep the product available: Although Vista was priced as a " bargain film," I came to enjoy using it as much as any other film I shoot.....maybe more than other films. Agfa could have doubled the price, rather than discontinue, and it would have still been a "bargain," in the final analysis. I am through complaining about film prices and will be grateful for what remains available.

Best,

Wayne

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think it is a terrific film. It used to be possible to buy it at the Kruidvat drugstore here in NL but they seem to have moved to Kodak ColorPlus 200, which is still a good film for the money. They do sell this Agfaphoto product though but I haven't tried it.

There's just something special with Vista, esp. the 200 variety. I've also seen it said that it's rebranded Fuji but I don't think that's true, perhaps someone here knows. To my eyes, Vista has a different grain, more "crystalline" somehow. It seems to shine or twinkle a bit. It's difficult to explain so I'll try to show it instead with a 100% blow-up of this old photo. The grain is definitely different from other C41 films I've used.

• Like 14