I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, verwackelt said:

Ok, that happened once to me too. I hoped there is a way to do it in a more controlled manner…

There is. Tension the film using the rewind knob. Then unlock the rewind lever on the front of the camera. Hold it down. Then cock the shutter by using the windon lever. It will feel a bit rough, but that is OK. The shutter will be cocked and the film will not have moved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, verwackelt said:

Ok, that sounds as if something could get destroyed by this procedure.
Have  you successfully done it this way?

Yes. 3-4 times. But I should say that my style of picture making never requires double exposures. So I last did this perhaps 40 years ago. But nothing ever got destroyed. When I first started using a Leica in the ancient of days, this was a known work around. On Barnack cameras, it is simpler I believe. The shutter is recocked by rotating the speed dial.

Edited by Michael Hiles
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 23 Stunden schrieb gbealnz:

Hi Klaus.

Yes, they are Clydesdale, lovely larger horses that were used in farming.

The 35mm film is fitted into the magazine with a pair of 3D printed adapters ( https://www.diyphotography.net/3-ways-using-35mm-film-120-bodies/ )

It's not easy but certainly possible. I use a short length of old leader, and another short length of old exposed/developed 35mm film. Then I tape the unexposed 35mm film to these "leaders". Of course you can just use the paper leader but then you waste a fair bit of film. (winding on to the first shot)

Once you get it sorted, it works well, apart from needing total dark to unload. I took this system with us to Europe in 2018, and had fun, used it alongside the A-12, and A-16.

You could of course use the A-12 if you want but the A-24 is cheaper and redundant, and I get "about" 20 or so shots from the 36 exposure roll.

Sprockets are exposed too, if you like that effect, but these ones I simple scanned with my Epson, and this masks off the sprocket area.

It's not an X-Pan, of course, but close, and for the cost of the adapters, plus an old A-24, it's certainly cost effective. And I can use it on the rear of my 503Cxi, with any of the lenses, not only the 903SWC.

Gary

Thank you, Gary for the detailed explanation. . When the 220 film vanished, I sold my magazines... but one. Seems it may get a second life  as a poor mans X-pan. 

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Xícara de Café:

IIIf, Summicron 5cm 1:2, llford FP4+ 125 @ 100, PMK 1:2:100.

Lovely picture of a good dog.. and such a perfect tonality.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb benqui:

Nikon F6, Nikkor 1.8/85, Fuji Acros II 

I really like this "new" film from Fuji

Acros II seems to be the latest hot-what was the word-- hit !!  Have to try it myself. And: beautiful picture of a beautiful lady. Chapeau.  Never mind the Nikon...  

btw: XTOL as usual ? 

• Thanks 1

Summertime XII

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

HB 205; FE 2/110; Portra 160@100

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 18

The coffee table.   [Agfa Vista 400]

• Like 16

no jardim botânico by JM__, on Flickr

Ilford Delta 100 - Roland 6x4,5 rangefinder

Inheritance
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

Ilford Delta 100 - Roland 6x4,5 rangefinder

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Kl@usW.:

Acros II seems to be the latest hot-what was the word-- hit !!  Have to try it myself. And: beautiful picture of a beautiful lady. Chapeau.  Never mind the Nikon...  

btw: XTOL as usual ? 

Thanx a lot! Yes with X-Tol. And the Nikon F6 is really almost unbeatable for portraits! A joy to use

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2020 at 5:15 PM, stray cat said:

I think Diebenkorn himself would have been not only flattered by the aesthetics of your homages, but in awe of your ability to assimilate the essence of what he was exploring there in Ocean Park, and put it into a coherent intellectual framework as well, using those fragments from the real world. How you physically do it is quite beyond my comprehension - I don't want to know, mind you, because in that mysterious alchemical process lies a lot of the magic. The next logical step, as I see it, would be to venture forth with saws, jackhammers and a bunch of other tools including a seriously large wheelbarrow and take all manner of sidewalk pieces, elevator doors and what have you back into the studio, assemble those actual evidentiary artifacts then get a crane to lift them onto the (pre-reinforced) walls of MOMA.

Your discussion of concision in teleological works hits the target, too. In photography it is just as imperative as in writing, painting or any of the other audience-targeted delivery systems. What purpose is served by asking your audience to wade through irrelevance when it only serves to obfuscate "the message"? Far better to practice, in your own words, the "presence of absence". I was reading earlier the story of Bobbie Gentry's wonderful 1967 song "Ode to Billie Joe". Apparently, as recorded on the demo she took to Capitol Records, it was twice the length we've come to know it (apologies if anyone doesn't know it but it's well worth seeking out). Gentry and the record company decided it was single material if of a shorter length so they edited out half of it, in the process ending up with a work that was concise and mysterious.  Leicamour's BMW photo above does this in a similar way - the incidental presence of the hand with the phone turns this from being a nice picture of a nice car into something altogether more mysterious and interesting.

Thank you sincerely, as always, for your incisive perception and generosity in sharing your broad understanding of the historical and artistic contexts in which works presented here may be considered.

Rauschenberg Wheel Barrow
M-A Summilux-M 50 ASPH. E100

Here is that "seriously large wheelbarrow" from Rauschenberg's 1/4- mile Furlong.

• Like 16

On 9/15/2020 at 5:15 PM, stray cat said:

I think Diebenkorn himself would have been not only flattered by the aesthetics of your homages, but in awe of your ability to assimilate the essence of what he was exploring there in Ocean Park, and put it into a coherent intellectual framework as well, using those fragments from the real world. How you physically do it is quite beyond my comprehension - I don't want to know, mind you, because in that mysterious alchemical process lies a lot of the magic. The next logical step, as I see it, would be to venture forth with saws, jackhammers and a bunch of other tools including a seriously large wheelbarrow and take all manner of sidewalk pieces, elevator doors and what have you back into the studio, assemble those actual evidentiary artifacts then get a crane to lift them onto the (pre-reinforced) walls of MOMA.

Your discussion of concision in teleological works hits the target, too. In photography it is just as imperative as in writing, painting or any of the other audience-targeted delivery systems. What purpose is served by asking your audience to wade through irrelevance when it only serves to obfuscate "the message"? Far better to practice, in your own words, the "presence of absence". I was reading earlier the story of Bobbie Gentry's wonderful 1967 song "Ode to Billie Joe". Apparently, as recorded on the demo she took to Capitol Records, it was twice the length we've come to know it (apologies if anyone doesn't know it but it's well worth seeking out). Gentry and the record company decided it was single material if of a shorter length so they edited out half of it, in the process ending up with a work that was concise and mysterious.  Leicamour's BMW photo above does this in a similar way - the incidental presence of the hand with the phone turns this from being a nice picture of a nice car into something altogether more mysterious and interesting.

Thank you sincerely, as always, for your incisive perception and generosity in sharing your broad understanding of the historical and artistic contexts in which works presented here may be considered.

Phil! Your Barnum & Bailey linguistic gymnastics has me on the floor, kicking my feet in the air with delight. The flotsam and jetsam you lay out has been appropriated by none other than Rauschenberg, as evidenced by but a few yards of his 1/4 mile long Furlong. Then, joining the parade is Xicara de Cafe's chorus of Cage, which echoes the context, the overlays, of photography-thinking in the arts. There's the Cage/Rauschenberg connection, which none too ironically is the subject of a book published recently (2016) titled Reception: the Radio Works of Robert Rauschenberg and John Cage. Also coming to mind, is Walter Murch's innovative approach to sound in Coppola's The Conversation.  We bring up, then, Joseph Beuys and the notion of entropy and decay. Layer Ralph Gibson's Overtones and Refractions (mentioned earlier by Dr. Klaus with reference to diptych approaches). 

On 9/16/2020 at 3:04 AM, Xícara de Café said:

I enjoy the following video of composer John Cage talking about sound and the imposition of meaning on sound in music. With the same outlook on "things", I'm not sure that he'd have approved of my photo a street lamp with Oscar Niemeyer's digital TV tower. 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aYT1Pwp30M

Leica IIIf, Summaron 3,5cm 1:3,5, lford FP4+ 125 @ 100, PMK 1:2:100.

So Antonioni Eclipse in spirit? But, it's your own special mystery. 
As Phil says, "Stunning!"

On 9/16/2020 at 4:08 AM, stray cat said:

Oh, I'm not so sure. It was the vernacular sound of traffic that he loved the most, according to what he said in the interview. I think such a stunning picture as you have presented here, of the seemingly discordant elements of streetlamp and TV tower, would play right into his sense of fun. Given that there is an uncanny echo between the graceful curve of the lamP (is it also by Niemeyer?) and the greater structure, it certainly resonates with mine! A wonderful picture.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Fuji GSWiii 690 Delta 400 in T-Max

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Nikon F5, Micro-Nikkor 55mm 1:2.8 Ais, Kodak Portra 160.

• Like 13