I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ditto on the NLP if I did color. I much prefer Photoshop to Lightroom, but I'd use LR so that I could use NLP, which is a terrific program--better I think than Color Perfect for PS. I'm often tempted to collapse all my scanning paraphernalia and workflow into a Plustek also, which I think is the best scanner available short of the far more expense used Nikon Coolscans. But I've begun messing with--and considering increasing more--medium format. My understanding is that the current Plustek models are strictly for the 35mm format. Hoping the next iteration goes back to including MF.

Edited by bags27
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, AntonioF said:

I've using NLP for both BW and Color since the first release. It has become pretty good, but it is not cheap. The problem with color is that the whole area must be masked, even the sprocket holes. Any light reflection will give you a yellowish blob on the scan. After having tried a bunch of different solutions (3D printed and not), I finally bought a dedicated holder, the Essential Film Holder from UK http://www.clifforth.co.uk/ .  I just got it so I can't say much. So far I have used it for a 120 color roll and it worked ok. There's a new mod for 120 that should be even better and I believe new models will incorporate that. EFH easily allows you to take different shots and merge them. I will try it on color 35mm as soon I develop one.

For BW 35mm almost anything works, even placing the film on the light board. I've been using a 3D printer holder: https://www.kamerakraft.com/film-scanning-carrier 

EFH is probably my last hope for color. If it doesn't work as I hope, I'll stop shooting color. Nobody will notices that anyway ... ah ah ah 

Note: If you look at the EFH website, they show a 35mm mask that does not cover the sprocket holes, but that's an old version. Sprocket holes are evil!

Pentax 6x7, Takumar 105/2.4, Portra 400 - DSRL scan with EFH (2 shots merged in LR, 36 mpx total) + NLP

Hi Antonio, thanks for the info here. I’m registered with Clifforth and regularly get emails, noticing he’s recently released a 35mm variant for ‘us’ sprocket lovers. But sadly NLP dislikes the light-leaks and the results are awful. I wonder if there’s a method of adding them retrospectively? Did I mention that I love the sprockets?! 😂
Having spent my pocket money on the Beoon, I’m not going to launch myself into a copy stand anytime soon. So as I see it my film scanning will be Plustek for colour, even though it’s slow, and maybe the Beoon for B&W. BTW. I still’shoot’ film, but at a snails pace. I have 4 cameras each with a part exposed film, even an FM2 I picked up in a January which I loaded with HP5 to test it out. I took a few more the other day and out of 36 I still have 12 frames remaining. 

• Like 1

Because my start for France this year was delayed by three months and I have to be back in the UK by 25th October to get the free service, 110 point check and any warranty defects repaired free on my car before the 3 year warranty expires on the 26th, I only took down about ⅓ of my Leica stuff, not including the BEOON. Therefore any information on what rings I use with the 50 Componon S will have to wait until the end of October. 

Wilson

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Steve Ricoh said:

Hi Antonio, thanks for the info here. I’m registered with Clifforth and regularly get emails, noticing he’s recently released a 35mm variant for ‘us’ sprocket lovers. But sadly NLP dislikes the light-leaks and the results are awful. I wonder if there’s a method of adding them retrospectively? Did I mention that I love the sprockets?! 😂
Having spent my pocket money on the Beoon, I’m not going to launch myself into a copy stand anytime soon. So as I see it my film scanning will be Plustek for colour, even though it’s slow, and maybe the Beoon for B&W. BTW. I still’shoot’ film, but at a snails pace. I have 4 cameras each with a part exposed film, even an FM2 I picked up in a January which I loaded with HP5 to test it out. I took a few more the other day and out of 36 I still have 12 frames remaining. 

I know some people have clean borders for different types of film and they paste the scanned frames inside the borders in PS. nobody will notice that on Instagram 😂

• Haha 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/22/2020 at 2:32 AM, stray cat said:

Ah, yes, I remember it well. Hardware lane, in those fabled days before CV19, was not a bad place to refuel and people watch.

I seem to recall some money changing hands in that very shop, Pritam. How is that 28mm Nikkor performing? I think you might have gotten a very good deal there 🙂!

The 28 AIS, a good deal it was, I confirm, Phil. Here are two photos taken with it. There was one I'd posted earlier as well... that of a horse loping around.

FM3a, 28mm Nikkor, Agfa Vista 400

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It's certainly a winner with the vertical orientation !

• Like 17

Paris, France

Leica M-A 28mm Cron

Tri-x @ 800

Rodinal 1+100

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, AntonioF said:

Baby #2 on the couch - Nikon FM2 + Nikkor 35/2 AF- D + HP5

I slightly misfocused the second one with a Retina IIIc in her hands, but it's ok. 

What a wonderful little series, Antonio!

8 hours ago, MarkP said:

Newcastle Ocean Baths
NSW Australia

Contax T3, Fujicolour Pro 400H

7 hours ago, MarkP said:

Morpeth, NSW Australia

Fuji GW690   III, Fujicolour Pro 400H

Absolutely stunning colors, in these pictures, Mark. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

I like this, Rog. Perfect composition, perfect clash of primary ( complementary ? ) colors , and it´s got such a  vitality in it.. 😇

In a pinch, this is all I could squeeze together. BTW your "Summertime" is so 3D, grain and all, I want to run out with my Belplasca and do some damage with E100. Ha, ha, ha. 

In the meantime, Christoph sent me back to my little box of colors, thinking I could turn up the temperature on "Barometer." I just happened to have my Geiger counter on the work bench, and it started getting excited about a Madame Curie viridian green. My alibi? The radioactivity made me do it.

Radioactive
M-A APO 50 Rollie Redbird & ADOX Color Implosion

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

After many months I am back and would like to show you a frame from a roll of Portra, that I exposed in my M4-P while on vacation at the coast of the Baltic Sea just two weeks ago. We had some wonderful sunsets this time and I tried some long exposures.

Leica M4-P - Cron 35 - Portra 160

Very nice, liquid metal!

• Thanks 1

Concentration

M2, Ilford HP5

• Like 18

santana, calder park raceway, melbourne 1977

canon AE1, FDn 70-210 f4, tri-x

• Like 18

australian icon 2020

canon F1N, FDn 50mm macro, velvia 50

• Like 11
  • Haha 4

Litterbug

Ansco Memo (1927), Wollensak Anastigmat, FP4. Ancient 35mm box camera. Not much bigger than a Barnack Lieca; certainly lighter.

• Like 12

Five steps into the orchard.

Pinhole camera, Rollei RPX400

• Like 14

smell

100 macro Portra 400 

• Like 13