I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

I did a lot of experimenting with different lenses on the Leitz BEOON film copying device and the SL 1. The best lens I found was a 50mm/2.8 Rodenstock APO-Rodagon. The next best and only fractionally behind, was a Schneider-Kreuznach 50mm/2.8 Green Stripe Componon S, which was less than a quarter of the price of the APO-Rodagon, so that was what I bought. I found that for film digitisation, high quality reprographics/enlarging lenses worked much better than camera lenses and I tried a 50 Summicron V, a 50 Zeiss Planar ZM and a 2,8 50 Elmar-M. The L mount lenses are too big and will not fit in the BEOON. The SL1 is brilliant. I link it to a MacBook Pro with a mini-HDMI cable and use image capture to save the DNG's to the SSD. I can scan a whole 36 exposure roll to perfectly focussed images in 2 to 3 minutes. It is essential to use fixed ISO and a fixed white balance using the 5400ºK colour temperature of the LED panel I use to illuminate the film. 

Wilson

It’s weird, I tried the Schneider-Kreuznach 50mm/2.8 using the Beoon and an M240. It was impossible to focus due to the Beoon column bottoming.
With the assistance of Pop (member and once administrator) I came to understand the nodal point of lenses such this are not all the same, varying during manufacture due to production tolerances. It makes a significant difference when trying to achieve 1:1 with the Beoon designed for a 50mm camera ‘taking’ lens. 

Edited by Steve Ricoh
  • Like 2

Barometer
M-A APO 50 & Thambar-M  Rollei Redbird & ADOX Color Implosion

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14

Marienmuenster Diessen auf Fomapan 400. I don't really know what went wrong with the development, but some stripes are showing...

Lubitel 2, Fomapan 400, D76

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Steve Ricoh said:

It’s weird, I tried the Schneider-Kreuznach 50mm/2.8 using the Beoon and an M240. It was impossible to focus due to the Beoon column bottoming.
With the assistance of Pop (member and once administrator) I came to understand the nodal point of lenses such this are not all the same, varying during manufacture due to production tolerances. It makes a significant difference when trying to achieve 1:1 with the Beoon designed for a 50mm camera ‘taking’ lens. 

Steve, 

I suspect you may have had too many rings between the lens and the camera but I assume you would have tried different combinations. I can't recall offhand what I use but I am fairly sure it is not what is recommended. If I have some film to digitise soon, I will try and remember to post what ring combinations I use. The adjustment is nowhere near the end of the travel with the rings I use. Whereas the nodal point or exit pupil may vary a bit on enlarger lenses, I would be surprised if they varied sufficiently on these high quality lenses, to make the BEOON column run out of travel. I think it was Philipp (Pop) who recommended that I try a Schneider Componon S. 

Wilson

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Am 26.7.2020 um 13:37 schrieb Wayne:

Although it was a four part piece, Aaron Copland's Rodeo comes to mind; the composition would have to be re-arranged: first would be Hoe-down (especially the closing fanfare) ; second, Buckaroo Holiday; third, Corral Nocturne. It is a gift your comment has given me. There is nothing quite like contemplating life and those you love while listening to a great piece of music.

I has been far too long since listening to Copland.

Exactly-and to be honest, I didn't have too much of him in my "Mediathek". So thank you for the  reminder--I downloaded some pieces, including "Rodeo"-- and am just listening. Very  nice. Leonard Bernstein is  the conductor, my favorite conductor for american composers. ( is there a word for female composers? In Germany you get shitstormed nowadays if you forget to include allll genders... ) 

Am 26.7.2020 um 14:28 schrieb Wayne:

I am jealous. About a month ago, I began taking photographs of a local field of rye. Try as I might, I could not get the photograph that was in my mind/s eye. This is it......only barley. Superb photo. Captures the chaos (foreground) and the order (background) that is so unique to the scene. Well done!

To get somewhat philosophical, and I must about this one, in a way, it represents society.....Any society. Beyond comprehension in any general sense. Maybe that is why we screw up so often. :)

Best,

Wayne

Thank you Wayne for your kind words. You have shown so many and impressive pictures I was jealous of-- we are still far from  even ! 😄

Am 27.7.2020 um 02:15 schrieb Ernest:

Pinch
M-A APO 50 Portra 400

I like this, Rog. Perfect composition, perfect clash of primary ( complementary ? ) colors , and it´s got such a  vitality in it.. 😇

vor 14 Stunden schrieb HighlandLeica:

Fabrication Yard at Nigg, on the Cromarty Firth, Highland Scotland. 

Many decommissioned rigs litter the firth as this view shows, looking west. 

M7, 35mm Cron, Portra 400

nice photo. I like the mist particularly. Not sure about the riggs

vor 43 Minuten schrieb christoph_d:

Marienmuenster Diessen auf Fomapan 400. I don't really know what went wrong with the development, but some stripes are showing...

Lubitel 2, Fomapan 400, D76

Christoph, heavenly rays? You stood in the right place.   Seriously, it doesn't harm the picture at all. But I can understand your irritation-one wants to know..

vor 38 Minuten schrieb Bateleur:

The misty mornings of the west coast make for moody photo's and are sometimes a challenge to print, witness this Lambertsbaai scene. 

Olympus OM4T ~ 35mm ~ Ilford FP4

Lovely, Bateleur.  And the rendering of the mist is fine--if there is or was mist... 

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Summertime

MP; NLX @95,  Delta 400; Rodinal

( Don´t know what went wrong with the development, usually Delta 400 / Rodinal  doesn't produce such grainy negatives.... maybe the temperature wasn't right, the XP2 I did after the Delta had a very steep gradation too.. ) 

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Bateleur said:

The misty mornings of the west coast make for moody photo's and are sometimes a challenge to print, witness this Lambertsbaai scene. 

Olympus OM4T ~ 35mm ~ Ilford FP4

It looks lovely, I know the mood from northern France. By the way, is this in SA? 

2 minutes ago, AntonioF said:

Baby #2 on the couch - Nikon FM2 + Nikkor 35/2 AF- D + HP5

I slightly misfocused the second one with a Retina IIIc in her hands, but it's ok. 

Misfocussed or not, the expression on the second picture is priceless!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bags27 said:

Thanks for all the good information. I've thought about the BEOON, but never sure I'd be buying a complete one and worried that the Sigma 70 won't fit. I've been using a spare inverted tripod, which is satisfactory, though I'm always tempted by a copy stand--except that they must be in demand, because there's never a cheap one on ebay.

I bought an old enlarger from a friend. One day maybe I'll actually use it as an enlarger, but for now it works perfectly as a copy stand and I personally find it easier to set up than my tripod. I scan both 35mm and 120 with a Sony A5100 and a Nikkor 55/2.8 micro. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AntonioF said:

Baby #2 on the couch - Nikon FM2 + Nikkor 35/2 AF- D + HP5

I slightly misfocused the second one with a Retina IIIc in her hands, but it's ok. 

Outstanding! The Retina is an excellent, low cost, high quality start to her exploration of photography. Which lens?, the Heligon?

Best,

Wayne

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kl@usW. said:

Exactly-and to be honest, I didn't have too much of him in my "Mediathek". So thank you for the  reminder--I downloaded some pieces, including "Rodeo"-- and am just listening. Very  nice. Leonard Bernstein is  the conductor, my favorite conductor for american composers. ( is there a word for female composers? In Germany you get shitstormed nowadays if you forget to include allll genders... ) 

Thank you Wayne for your kind words. You have shown so many and impressive pictures I was jealous of-- we are still far from  even ! 😄

1 hour ago, Kl@usW. said:

Thank you, Klaus.

"( is there a word for female composers? In Germany you get shitstormed nowadays if you forget to include allll genders... )"

Camus provided me with my all-time favorite quote:..."There are two kinds of people in the world: those who learn to deal with the absurd, and those who commit suicide" I think he was onto something very important.

Best,

Wayne

Edited by Wayne
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Wayne said:

Outstanding! The Retina is an excellent, low cost, high quality start to her exploration of photography. Which lens?, the Heligon?

Best,

Wayne

The lens is a Xenon 50/2. It seems pretty sharp. I just don't like using the Retina because of the handling. The finder is yellowish but still usable. Maybe I should just put a roll through it!

• Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 8:23 PM, Wayne said:

It makes one wonder:...."How did digital ever get a foothold." So perfect!

Best,

Wayne

Wayne,

Heartfelt thanks for your precious comment.

Analog and Digital images are both great from my perspective. They're born to be outstanding in the different eras and arena.
I embrace and enjoy them either new or old lenses(camera).
All of them are a part of the history of photography in the hall of art.
Enjoy your life and what you have in your hands, and that's the way it is.

Warm regards,

Raymond

• Like 2

Coffee shop, Newcastle
NSW Australia

Contax T3, Fujicolour Pro 400H

• Like 18

2 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

Steve, 

I suspect you may have had too many rings between the lens and the camera but I assume you would have tried different combinations. I can't recall offhand what I use but I am fairly sure it is not what is recommended. If I have some film to digitise soon, I will try and remember to post what ring combinations I use. The adjustment is nowhere near the end of the travel with the rings I use. Whereas the nodal point or exit pupil may vary a bit on enlarger lenses, I would be surprised if they varied sufficiently on these high quality lenses, to make the BEOON column run out of travel. I think it was Philipp (Pop) who recommended that I try a Schneider Componon S. 

Wilson

Wilson, 
My starting point for purchasing the Beoon was by way of recommendation on a dedicated thread here on the forum. Initially I tried my M mount 50/1.4 asph ‘camera lens’ with the spacer rings specified in the user instructions (also engraved on the Beoon itself). With the 50mm prime I was recording exact 1:1 reproduction of the negative on my M240, and the Beoon column was approximately half travel, if I remember, but certainly no where near the bottom travel of the column. 

The Beoon thread is quite lengthy but at one point the discussion turned to the benefits of using enlarger lenses instead, being superior as they’re optically designed for flat field projection during enlarging. I purchased a Nikkor 50/2.8 enlarger lens, however with the same spacer rings as recommended for a 50mm lens (as described in the 1st para above) the Beoon would not allow the column to collapse small enough, so critical focus was impossible. Someone chipped in during the discussion on the thread recommending the Schneder-Componon S 50mm/F2.8 (green stripe), so I got one. Again same spacers as recommended for the 50mm camera lens, I was unable to focus properly due to bottoming of the column. I tried all the spacers supplied (I have the complete set by the way) in all permutations with no joy; still the same with the column bottoming. Finally I got hold of a number of second hand spacer rings of varying lengths, ending up with quite a selection to challenge many collectors! All to no avail, I could not achieve critical focus with either of the two enlarger lenses, the Nikkor or the Componon S.

From my experience, camera scanning is good enough and fast (using the 50mm/f1.4 asph) for B&W, but Colour is a more difficult challenge for which I use a Plustek. If I was tempted to camera scan colour I’d probably purchase a copy of NLP. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1