I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

21 hours ago, Wayne said:

Never ending pursuit of the classic, old snapshot look.

Kodak Retina 010, Rodenstock Ysar 50/3.5, Foma Retro 320, 2ml Rodina+ .5ml HC110+300ml water, 35min 1 inversion every 10min

Imagine Retropan in the Minox spy camera!

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 5:17 PM, Kl@usW. said:

I love this poem with three stanze ( strophes ?); the last culminating in a wistful goodbye-but there is hope, there will be another day and more play !

13 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

the little guy will need a cushion though... nice shot. the retro look is perfect.

19 minutes ago, Steve Ricoh said:

Imagine Retropan in the Minox spy camera!

26 minutes ago, Steve Ricoh said:

Great pics and side story and I’d say Retropan is an able companion to the old timer Kodak Retina you used. I’m deciding whether to order a couple of rolls along with the more regular Fomapan. Foma Films are competitively priced over here, somewhat cheaper than Ilford and way cheaper than Kodak.

PS How did Giggs get to be called Giggs?

Klaus, Steve,

Thank you for the comments on the photos.

As always, Klaus, your comments set me to thinking. Although it was a four part piece, Aaron Copland's Rodeo comes to mind; the composition would have to be re-arranged: first would be Hoe-down (especially the closing fanfare) ; second, Buckaroo Holiday; third, Corral Nocturne. It is a gift your comment has given me. There is nothing quite like contemplating life and those you love while listening to a great piece of music. I has been far too long since listening to Copland.

Steve, you know, I did slit some of the film for the Minox, but never rolled and shot any of it. I will have to hunt it down and try. Griggs is a nieghbor's lab. Neighbor inherited him from a friend, with name already attached. Nobody knows where the name came from. It suits him. It is kind of funny, most everybody in the area knows who Griggs is, and smile and laugh when his name is brought up.

Of the Foma films, I find that I have settled on the 200 ASA variety. It seems to least temperamental in processing, at least for me. 

Thanks again,

Wayne

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wayne said:

Klaus, Steve,

Thank you for the comments on the photos.

As always, Klaus, your comments set me to thinking. Although it was a four part piece, Aaron Copland's Rodeo comes to mind; the composition would have to be re-arranged: first would be Hoe-down (especially the closing fanfare) ; second, Buckaroo Holiday; third, Corral Nocturne. It is a gift your comment has given me. There is nothing quite like contemplating life and those you love while listening to a great piece of music. I has been far too long since listening to Copland.

Steve, you know, I did slit some of the film for the Minox, but never rolled and shot any of it. I will have to hunt it down and try. Griggs is a nieghbor's lab. Neighbor inherited him from a friend, with name already attached. Nobody knows where the name came from. It suits him. It is kind of funny, most everybody in the area knows who Griggs is, and smile and laugh when his name is brought up.

Of the Foma films, I find that I have settled on the 200 ASA variety. It seems to least temperamental in processing, at least for me. 

Thanks again,

Wayne

It’s a great name for a dog, Griggs, love it! 
I believe Foma 200 being the middle of the offering is preferred by many. Also, I’ve seen the results of it being pushed a few stops and look quite acceptable. Retro however has mixed reaction, a bit like Marmite. Definitely one to experiment with, and I’m sure we all look forward to the results from the spy camera.

5 minutes ago, Steve Ricoh said:

I believe Foma 200 being the middle of the offering is preferred by many. Also, I’ve seen the results of it being pushed a few stops and look quite acceptable. Retro however has mixed reaction, a bit like Marmite. Definitely one to experiment with, and I’m sure we all look forward to the results from the spy camera.

When Foma says "Retro," they mean it. Before this roll, I have shot about three of four other rolls of the stuff. The granularity is really built into the film. Frankly, I have not been that pleased with past results; the Rodenstock Retina camera does seem to work with it better than other cameras and lenses used in past. While Rodenstock lenses abound in the large format world, they seems to have been pretty much overlooked by manufacturers of 35mm cameras. Kodak Retina, and there are a couple of different models, appear to be one of few cameras in which Rodenstock lenses were an option. I love mine. A unique rendering.

OBTW, I tried to PM you; it says you cannot receive messages.

Best,

Wayne

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

barley

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

MP; 3,8/24; XP2s, Rodinal

I am jealous. About a month ago, I began taking photographs of a local field of rye. Try as I might, I could not get the photograph that was in my mind/s eye. This is it......only barley. Superb photo. Captures the chaos (foreground) and the order (background) that is so unique to the scene. Well done!

To get somewhat philosophical, and I must about this one, in a way, it represents society.....Any society. Beyond comprehension in any general sense. Maybe that is why we screw up so often. :)

Best,

Wayne

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Wayne said:

When Foma says "Retro," they mean it. Before this roll, I have shot about three of four other rolls of the stuff. The granularity is really built into the film. Frankly, I have not been that pleased with past results; the Rodenstock Retina camera does seem to work with it better than other cameras and lenses used in past. While Rodenstock lenses abound in the large format world, they seems to have been pretty much overlooked by manufacturers of 35mm cameras. Kodak Retina, and there are a couple of different models, appear to be one of few cameras in which Rodenstock lenses were an option. I love mine. A unique rendering.

OBTW, I tried to PM you; it says you cannot receive messages.

Best,

Wayne

Maybe it’s because I’ve not bothered emptying my mail for years and reached limit, whatever the limit is. I’ve now deleted everything in the inbox and the sent folder, so it may work now.

2 hours ago, Steve Ricoh said:

Retropan is a very special emulsion. I tried a few rolls, but could not find any subject suitable for its horrible grain. I firmly believe it was developed in the kitchen of the devils granny to show how wrong things can go with film 😁. Your pictures Wayne are the best I’ve seen with it.

I seem to remember to have read that, while Fomapan 100 and 400 are old style classic emulsions, a healthy dose of T-grain like chemistry was added to Fomapan 200. While I like it, I personally prefer the “gutsyness” of the other two emulsions.

• Like 1

i think these films like retropan or Lomofilms are for younger people that think film photographie was always grainy and muddy or had weird colours. And the prints have to be full of dustspots crazy borders and signs of chemistry flows.. 😉
Today they want their final print or scanned jpg looking "retro" like that. In the 80ies, prints like that we had discarded as a testprint…

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, verwackelt said:

i think these films like retropan or Lomofilms are for younger people that think film photographie was always grainy and muddy or had weird colours. And the prints have to be full of dustspots crazy borders and signs of chemistry flows.. 😉
Today they want their final print or scanned jpg looking "retro" like that. In the 80ies, prints like that we had discarded as a testprint…

Oh right, perhaps you’re not the appropriate person to ask for guidance on pre-exposing colour film. 😉

vor 34 Minuten schrieb Steve Ricoh:

Oh right, perhaps you’re not the appropriate person to ask for guidance on pre-exposing colour film

😀 No that kind of films are not my taste.
Although a subtle neutral preexposure like it is done sometimes in b&w to get a bit more definition in shadows is sometimes helpful for C41 too.

Boost II
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion

• Like 9

Argument
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion

• Like 11

1 hour ago, verwackelt said:

😀 No that kind of films are not my taste.
Although a subtle neutral preexposure like it is done sometimes in b&w to get a bit more definition in shadows is sometimes helpful for C41 too.

My experience with pre- or post- exposure of C41 film is limited to suspected x-ray at airports and old-age effects, particularly with conestill films... 😬

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, verwackelt said:

Yes x-rays are mostly out of control…
And pre exposure of just one or too frames with a leica is not easy to do. More a largeformat thing...

........or with my weird Rolleiflex 3003 35mm modular camera with interchangeable film backs (the camera that sank Rolleiflex). 

Wilson

The funds I had put away for a Mamiya 7 suddenly went to a nicely preserved M10 that my friend flipped to buy a 10R. My only MF is my precious Holga. Wondering about a Mamiya 220 while I rebuild my coffers. Any thoughts?