I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Berlin City West Leica M7 2,8 28 mm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

Some ISO 12 shots!

Nikon N80, Nikkor 50/1.8 AFD, Kodak 2238@iso12

• Like 19

Another one:

I spent a little time doing comparison scans with the X1 scanning as a full .fff file, and the Nikon 9000 using Vuescan to make a full resolution 2 pass raw file. On import, the Nikon scan was more exposed and looked a lot softer, but by turning down the exposure, adding a little clarity and contrast, I can get them very, very close.

X1_LS9000_comparison by chrism229, on Flickr

The X1 scan still wins on resolution of fine detail, but not so that it matters. It is faster to scan, and requires less work in LR afterwards. I'm wondering whether to sell the X1, partly because of my irritation with Hasselblad over their decision to silently discontinue the scanners and the need to keep Macs on macOS10.14 or older (the FlexColor software still runs OK in up to date Windows systems, and Hasselblad refuse to release the engineering details to Ed Hamrick, who would make VueScan work with them), and partly to make one less thing for Pippa to deal with when I no longer need it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

18 minutes ago, chrism said:

Another one:

I spent a little time doing comparison scans with the X1 scanning as a full .fff file, and the Nikon 9000 using Vuescan to make a full resolution 2 pass raw file. On import, the Nikon scan was more exposed and looked a lot softer, but by turning down the exposure, adding a little clarity and contrast, I can get them very, very close.

X1_LS9000_comparison by chrism229, on Flickr

The X1 scan still wins on resolution of fine detail, but not so that it matters. It is faster to scan, and requires less work in LR afterwards. I'm wondering whether to sell the X1, partly because of my irritation with Hasselblad over their decision to silently discontinue the scanners and the need to keep Macs on macOS10.14 or older (the FlexColor software still runs OK in up to date Windows systems, and Hasselblad refuse to release the engineering details to Ed Hamrick, who would make VueScan work with them), and partly to make one less thing for Pippa to deal with when I no longer need it.

Chris, both are good IMO ,  may be a little more contrast with NK , I prefer Pippa's eye  nicer at right 

Best  Henry 

Chris X1= 6805x4509 size must be big around more than 120 Mo in TIFF ,  same remark for 5597x3731 in TIFF 

for NK also big size and around 150 Mo or more , that's why the film definition is good.

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Via Mala, one of the ancient ways the roman soldiers and traders took with their mules to cross the Alps. The romans cut ´half galleries`into the vertical rock, some of them are still visible. More modern travelers used the little bridge you see up there;  a tough ride in a carriage... A modern bridge is under construction behind the old one. More or less  connecting one tunnel with the next.... This is summer, with only very little water in the gorge

SWC , HP5, Rodinal. 

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 19

14 hours ago, sblitz said:

Metropolitan Museum of Art 5th Ave

I love the classic contrasty look in this one, Steve!

10 hours ago, stray cat said:

woolamai 2019

50mm summicron, velvia 50

My first thought was Win95, too...

20 hours ago, DirkR440 said:

Zürich Christmas Market

Leica MP, 24mm Elmar and Kodak Ektar:

Christmas Market Zürich by Dirk R., auf Flickr

Very nice!

17 hours ago, Wayne said:

This is great. I must have been paying too little attention the first time I viewed it. I can't stop looking now. I say, in the most flattering terms possible:... the photo has that measure of absurdity I love so much: it is as if the box has dropped in from outer space. It is too bad I will likely never get to take a stroll with you.

Best,

Wayne

Contax IIIA, 35/3.5 Planar, TriX

What a great composition. I wish I had your sense for detail. The way the "palm tree" leans to the left while the poles in the reflection lean towards the other direction makes this picture a true piece of art - at least in my way of thinking :)

On 12/2/2019 at 1:42 PM, chrism said:

Trying to figure out how to deal with the latest mutation, a 17p deletion, which changes the outlook a lot. 

So sad to hear. I know I can't say or do anything appropriate in this situation, but wanted to let you know that I hope you find some joy and distraction here in this thread!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

Another, more minimalistic approach, Baltic Sea once more:

Minolta Autocord - Tri-X 320 (dev. in Rodinal 1+50)

Some of your recent work James, is inspired, this one in particular is really lovely . 

• Thanks 1

Leica MP with Voigtländer Nokton 50mm f1.2 and Kodak Ektar:

My Love by Dirk R., auf Flickr

• Like 17

Laundry. [Tri-X]

• Like 16

9 minutes ago, benqui said:

Cinestill 800, M6, Summilux 50

Look at her skin - exquisite! You just don't get skin rendition like this except on film. Just a great portrait, Marc - her hair, the hint of shoulder and her inscrutable expression are perfect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To complement James' lovely rainbow photograph (above) - I'd only just scanned this myself when I saw his:

summicron 90, velvia 50

• Like 18