I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

9 hours ago, james.liam said:

Ernest--

Please help me understand the color collages you post. I'm trying to understand what I should be seeing and how this falls under photography, per se.

What genre, you wonder? In a word: postmodern. Color field is a concern, also.

Thank you so much for your interest in my work and the implication of whether or not it is indeed photography. Perhaps you are right; perhaps it’s not photography at all; perhaps it’s not even a photograph. Is it swerving back to the optics of painting, the genesis of visual expression? It is a question that I wrestle with, constantly, since I view my work as the starting point of a visual argument. It is not so much a contest between text and image because there is so much in the gradations that are difficult to express, such as the valance of emotion in a color. The allegorical reference of an image. The artful ambiguity of perspective. Derrida underscored the slippery slope of making either/or propositions that disallowed gray areas of consideration.

Thanks to Phil, I have been re-reading John Szarkowski’s essay in William Eggleston‘s Guide: “ . . . the meanings of words and those of pictures are at best parallel, describing two lines of thought that do not meet; and if our concern is for the meanings in pictures, verbal descriptions are finally gratuitous" (13).

So, what are my concerns? For me, the emphasis is not on what a photograph is “of,” but rather what a photograph is “about.” Is it about something present because it is absent?

Recently, I posted a series of questions, which define some of the concerns in my work. Is the photograph a statement? If so, what does it say? Can it not be a question, perhaps the scaffolding of interrogation? Is the question, itself, a statement? Is there a conflict? What are the conditions for resolution? Or is the resolution irresolute? What are the casualties? What is at risk? Can a photograph be a line in the sand? What is the challenge of such a metaphor? Can boring be interesting? Can the commonplace be unique? Can a photograph dismantle itself, deconstruct? Is what is not seen in the photograph, actually what is to be seen? Is not all photography metaphoric, revolving meaning? Or is it simply evidence that risks allegorization? What is the penalty of being irrelevant? Why is there no such thing as erasure? Consider the photograph of absence, the allusion of completeness in incompletion.

In all fairness, I don’t know that I can help you understand my work, other than to say, it makes its own statement, and if I could have said it any other way, I would be challenged to find it. As you would guess, my work is deliberate. I am always on the hunt. Postmodern photography is a broad umbrella, I know, but what interests me is work that challenges the very concept of the photograph. See this thread: 3033-3034.

Cheers,
Rog

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, benqui said:

Ilford Delta 400, Apo 90, M4, X-tol 1:1

Wow! Just spectacular. Lighting and composition really make the eyes pop. I just love this photo. Beautiful work. 

Edited by mikeamosau
  • Like 2

18%
M-A APO 50 E100

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

That's a lovely picture mike. Have you seen the thread about Halstatt in the German Leica thread? It is immensely interesting despite having to use Google translate a lot. Sue and I visited Halstatt in the 1980s and are a) glad to have such a beautiful place and b) sad to see that many won't be able to have such a wonderful experience of it, given the numbers now crowding in there. Looks like you got a sensational vantage point though 😊.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been quietly lurking on this thread for several months now, since I started shooting film again in the summer.  I will post some of my less feeble efforts soon but just wanted to say how truly inspiring I find so many of the images I see and what a pleasure it is to see such friendly and constructive interactions - Thanks!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

IIIf, Summicron 5cm 1:2 collapsible, Ilford Delta 100, Kodak D-76 1:1.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

Thank you so much for your interest in my work and the implication of whether or not it is indeed photography. Perhaps you are right; perhaps it’s not photography at all; perhaps it’s not even a photograph. Is it swerving back to the optics of painting, the genesis of visual expression? It is a question that I wrestle with, constantly, since I view my work as the starting point of a visual argument. It is not so much a contest between text and image because there is so much in the gradations that are difficult to express, such as the valance of emotion in a color. The allegorical reference of an image. The artful ambiguity of perspective. Derrida underscored the slippery slope of making either/or propositions that disallowed gray areas of consideration.

Thanks to Phil, I have been re-reading John Szarkowski’s essay in William Eggleston‘s Guide: “ . . . the meanings of words and those of pictures are at best parallel, describing two lines of thought that do not meet; and if our concern is for the meanings in pictures, verbal descriptions are finally gratuitous" (13).

So, what are my concerns? For me, the emphasis is not on what a photograph is “of,” but rather what a photograph is “about.” Is it about something present because it is absent?

Recently, I posted a series of questions, which define some of the concerns in my work. Is the photograph a statement? If so, what does it say? Can it not be a question, perhaps the scaffolding of interrogation? Is the question, itself, a statement? Is there a conflict? What are the conditions for resolution? Or is the resolution irresolute? What are the casualties? What is at risk? Can a photograph be a line in the sand? What is the challenge of such a metaphor? Can boring be interesting? Can the commonplace be unique? Can a photograph dismantle itself, deconstruct? Is what is not seen in the photograph, actually what is to be seen? Is not all photography metaphoric, revolving meaning? Or is it simply evidence that risks allegorization? What is the penalty of being irrelevant? Why is there no such thing as erasure? Consider the photograph of absence, the allusion of completeness in incompletion.

In all fairness, I don’t know that I can help you understand my work, other than to say, it makes its own statement, and if I could have said it any other way, I would be challenged to find it. As you would guess, my work is deliberate. I am always on the hunt. Postmodern photography is a broad umbrella, I know, but what interests me is work that challenges the very concept of the photograph. See this thread: 3033-3034.

Cheers,
Rog

May I humbly add: sometimes trying too hard to  understand and analyzing art is not the way to go--a left brain approach where you just let your unconscious do the hard work  may prove easier and take you further... you can do the analyzing and categorizing  later 😃  

K.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

18%
M-A APO 50 E100

Rog, you know more than most of us about monochrome paintings... and why they are such challenges.  I like it--even if it is not really mono..  btw: you need to be an old-school photographer to understand the title !   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A new batch, finally...

Structure. 

Leica II D / Schneider Xenogon 35/2.8 / Kentmere 400 / Xtol 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, stray cat said:

That's a lovely picture mike. Have you seen the thread about Halstatt in the German Leica thread? It is immensely interesting despite having to use Google translate a lot. Sue and I visited Halstatt in the 1980s and are a) glad to have such a beautiful place and b) sad to see that many won't be able to have such a wonderful experience of it, given the numbers now crowding in there. Looks like you got a sensational vantage point though 😊.

Thank you so much! I haven't seen that thread... I will need to search around and take a look. 

I've been to Hallstatt twice now, once a number of years ago in the winter, when I think I was quite spoiled with very few people, and then this time in mid August where I was very surprised by the bus loads of tourists there for day trips. We still loved it though and in the later afternoon once the day trip crowds had departed it was a very peaceful place. Thanks again!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mikeamosau said:

I only just recently came across this forum thread and after looking through many, many pages instead of doing my work, I have to say, I’m really blown away with the images. Such a fantastic mix of cameras and films. Beautiful work everyone!

Hallstatt, Austria. Fuji TX-1 XPAN 45mm Kodak Portra 400. 

7 hours ago, nefarious said:

I've been quietly lurking on this thread for several months now, since I started shooting film again in the summer.  I will post some of my less feeble efforts soon but just wanted to say how truly inspiring I find so many of the images I see and what a pleasure it is to see such friendly and constructive interactions - Thanks!

12 hours ago, Ernest said:

Cheers,
Rog

I, too, have been enthralled and inspired by this thread--my favorite in the entire forum.  Art, philosophy, poetry, humanity--all seem to converge here, and Rog is the perfect example.  Have taken my recently CLA'ed M3 off the shelf to re-explore my decades-old film chops and am even contemplating developing my own B&W negatives again!    You are all amazing, and thanks for the continuous flow of visual and intellectual stimulation!!

- Scott

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

"Clouds" Ektar

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Ektachrome 100 (-2 exp)

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1