I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

30 minutes ago, espelt said:

Stuttgart, Weißenhofsiedlung

M2 . Summicron dr . Agfa APX 100 . Rodinal

This is an excellent example of how to make a good picture out of almost nothing in particular... placement of the objects towards the frame edge work well, and the contrast between the horizontal and diagonal add visual tension. 

Edited by Steve Ricoh
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Antiques shop, Saffron Walden, Essex.

I've always found this shot a bit eerie......

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

MP, 35 Summicron Asph, BW400CN.

Edited by jcraf
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2019 at 1:45 PM, AntonioF said:

Not sure what flower/plant it is

Mamiya 645, Sekor 80/2.8, Trix

20190707-img204_clean by antoniofedele, on Flickr

Known here in the US as Mullein....verbascum thapsus

• Thanks 1

Interior detail of the Moreira Salles Institute, São Paulo. Contax IIa, Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 5cm 1:2 collapsible, Ilford Delta 100, Kodak D-76 1+1.

Edited by Xícara de Café
  • Like 12

I couldn't help myself

MP, CV 35 1.2, cinestill 800 

Edited by hillavoider
  • Like 15

• Like 15

Advertisement (gone after registration)

ok got that out of my system 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Steve, I am so sorry for your loss. May your dad rest in peace. That’s a beautiful story, and I’m glad you had that last bit of time together. Lovely shot, which I’m sure he’d have enjoyed.

Best wishes

John

Edited by jcraf
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, philipus said:

This is as plain as it gets flower-wise, shot during last year's scorching summer on Gotland.

Flickr
80 Planar+32E Ektar X1

This is really good, Philip. I have found that It is much harder than it looks to get good floral shots.  Maybe it is just me, but Mother Nature seems to love to tease me and somehow gets a kick out of blowing her wind just as I get ready to compose and snap the shutter.  So frustrating!!! :)

15 hours ago, nefarious said:

Do tell me why the M2 over the M3 please?!

The only thing that I can think of is that the frame lines are more user friendly to lenses other than 50mm.   Having said this, I would use my M3 with my 50mm lenses over any camera, including my M-A, as the VF is just so perfect for the 50mm.

14 hours ago, Steve Ricoh said:

Kodak Gold, Pentax MX, 1:1.4/50

There you go again. :)

14 hours ago, espelt said:

Really fantastic!  There is so much inspiration on this thread to open one's mind.  Amazing.

4 hours ago, hillavoider said:

ok got that out of my system 

Love them all, but this is my favorite as the sky and green in the foreground add a cool color scheme.  Those halos play really well here.

3 hours ago, sblitz said:

On Tuesday June 25 I was in Florida to spend the day with my dad on his 97th birthday. We had a really great time and we rummaged through his camera collection. I came upon this Yashica Mat 124G, and my dad was always a 35mm shooter. He told me he got it online because it was so cheap but that he couldn't find a place to develop 120 film, so he told me to take it. It is a lot lighter than a Roller TLR, and I had been thinking about getting some 6x6 for fun, so I said okay. Turns out my dad died that Saturday, so it was wonderful to have that time with him -- lucid and ambulatory to the end. Anyway, I took the camera out just to shoot and get used to it a little bit. Here is a picture I took, portra 400, by the Central Park reservoir. Knowing my dad he would've loved this shot of a mom taking a pic of her little girl. Anyway, the backstory isn't really necessary but some of us have met, some of us know each other, and so this is a place where I feel comfortable sharing the story. BTW, I will be getting his Leica IIIf, some lenses, and a beautiful Bolex 8mm camera with two lenses (found out you can still get 8mm film, so why not have some fun!!!!).

Very beautiful, Steve.  You are so fortunate to have been able to spend your Father's last days with him.  It is one regret that you will never have.  And the fact that he was lucid and had all of his mental faculties is a real blessing - for him, you and your family.  It is pretty much all one can ask for in life.   The common love for photography that you shared is, I'm sure, only one of the many joys that you too shared.  Your respect for him (particularly his military service) that you have shown time and time again in this community is boundless, and an inspiration to us all to cherish that time that we have with our family.  Looking forward to going for a Barnack photo walk with you when I get back....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

OK, I think I have come to a decision - I'm going up into the attic over the summer holiday to uncover all my old film camera gear.  I have a couple of 35mm cameras, several old bellows cameras (I do wonder whether any of them are light-sealed still (that's probably not the right term!) and an old Yashika-E twin lens reflex.  I used to love using that and just gazing at the beautiful transparencies...  I've not looked at them since early 2000's when I first got a digital camera so it will be a voyage of discovery.

Can anyone suggest where is best to get the films developed and digitised in the UK??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Haha yes I fully agree, nothing like a bit of iron to develop one's personality :D 

20 hours ago, A miller said:

He he, well i was raised in Texas with the mustangs, cows and football. I think i lifted a lifetime of weights by the time i was 18, and i havent really stopped due to the effect on my psyche  🙂 

Really well executed, what a delight.

17 hours ago, espelt said:

I'm very happy you didn't :) Really cool shots.

7 hours ago, hillavoider said:

I couldn't help myself

MP, CV 35 1.2, cinestill 800 

I'm very sorry for your loss Steve, but also happy for you to have had that precious last time with him.

It is a sterling tender shot, I think, and I look forward to the pictures from the IIIf.

5 hours ago, sblitz said:

On Tuesday June 25 I was in Florida to spend the day with my dad on his 97th birthday. We had a really great time and we rummaged through his camera collection. I came upon this Yashica Mat 124G, and my dad was always a 35mm shooter. He told me he got it online because it was so cheap but that he couldn't find a place to develop 120 film, so he told me to take it. It is a lot lighter than a Roller TLR, and I had been thinking about getting some 6x6 for fun, so I said okay. Turns out my dad died that Saturday, so it was wonderful to have that time with him -- lucid and ambulatory to the end. Anyway, I took the camera out just to shoot and get used to it a little bit. Here is a picture I took, portra 400, by the Central Park reservoir. Knowing my dad he would've loved this shot of a mom taking a pic of her little girl. Anyway, the backstory isn't really necessary but some of us have met, some of us know each other, and so this is a place where I feel comfortable sharing the story. BTW, I will be getting his Leica IIIf, some lenses, and a beautiful Bolex 8mm camera with two lenses (found out you can still get 8mm film, so why not have some fun!!!!).

Delightful Portra colours. And a rather peculiar place to visit in Sweden. How come you ended up there?

1 hour ago, Rennrocky said:

Leica M2 C40 Portra 400 Nybro Sweden Riksglasskolan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, nefarious said:

OK, I think I have come to a decision - I'm going up into the attic over the summer holiday to uncover all my old film camera gear.  I have a couple of 35mm cameras, several old bellows cameras (I do wonder whether any of them are light-sealed still (that's probably not the right term!) and an old Yashika-E twin lens reflex.  I used to love using that and just gazing at the beautiful transparencies...  I've not looked at them since early 2000's when I first got a digital camera so it will be a voyage of discovery.

Can anyone suggest where is best to get the films developed and digitised in the UK??

I use Peak Imaging for slide film developing, although I digitize them myself. B&W I develop and digitize myself. 

I have a Plustek which only does 35mm, and I also have a Novaflex copy frame which does 35mm and 120 using a macro lens on a digital camera (although I only shoot 35mm).

It may be worth looking into scanners that do both. 

3 hours ago, nefarious said:

I use agphotolab 

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrJQ56UGydd3wkAjCd0g81Q;_ylu=X3oDMTEyNnYxMWVjBGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjg0NjVfMQRzZWMDc3I-/RV=2/RE=1562872853/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.ag-photolab.co.uk%2f/RK=2/RS=Mfze2Y0En0wAzYG7BRWm.bEg_q4-