I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

I saw mdp's nice photo a page or two back and realised that I had photographed something similar last year. As with so many of my pictures I shot it just to see what it would look like.

Flickr
203FE 80/2.8+2XE Ektar X1

Edited by philipus
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

One of the great things about a community such as this - or perhaps this one specifically - is the relationships formed between contributors and/or browsers. This thread in particular I find supportive and friendly.

Earlier this year it was my great pleasure to have Pritam stay with us at our home and we were able to go out and photograph, and also to get to know each other in "real" life, not just through a screen. And just a few short weeks ago Sue and I had the great honour and pleasure of visiting Rog and his delightful partner Jenny at their home in Long Beach. Again, we were able to share stories and experiences - and a lot of laughs - and Rog and Jenny were incredibly kind and generous in feeding us and showing us around their beautiful home town. Like our experience in meeting Pritam, this takes association with this thread to a higher level entirely, and I think that strong and long-lasting friendships have been formed.

Here are Rog, Jenny and Sue on one of the many bridges that span the canals of the area of Long Beach known as Naples. If everyone looks happy - we were. It was such a lovely day spent with the most gracious and wonderful hosts. Can't wait to meet up again someday! Oh, and it seemed entirely appropriate that Rog in particular be portrayed on Color Implosion:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Oh, and this activity was going on while we were hanging around on the bridge. Rog has a wonderful way of telling of the experience and I hope he may chime in with his anecdotes!

Naples, Long Beach CA 2019

M6TTL, 35mm Summicron, Adox Color Implosion

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/1/2019 at 8:36 PM, SteveYork said:

60mm Elmarit R + Kodak Gold 200

Roosting (Leicaflex SL, 60mm Elmarit, Kodak Gold 200) by Steve, on Flickr

Love this one, Steve.  You really have a great eye for composition using simple subjects.  Very good!

On 7/2/2019 at 8:05 PM, SteveYork said:

CV 58mm f/1.4 + Fomapan 100 in Rodinal (1:50)

Fishing on the Pier by Steve, on Flickr

Love this one too

On 7/2/2019 at 8:07 PM, SteveYork said:

50mm Summicron R + Kodak Ultramax 400

Through the Window #2 -- (Leicaflex, 50mm Summicron, Kodak Ultramax 400) by Steve, on Flickr

And this - wow

On 7/5/2019 at 12:13 AM, blueskyoveraquatic said:

Tri-X 400TX - D76 (1+1) 9 mins - M5 + 50mm Summicron

Laguna Beach by Bluesky Overaquatic, on Flickr

Lovely scene - very peaceful and also love the film aesthetic.  

On 7/5/2019 at 12:57 AM, Ernest said:

Signature
M-A Summilux-M 50 BC Portra 400

Love this one, Rog. Fantastic colors and lines.

On 7/5/2019 at 3:20 AM, jcraf said:

Coleton Fishacre, Devon. 

Built in the Arts and Crafts style in the 1930s for Rupert D'Oyly Carte (of Opera Company fame).

M7, 21 Elmarit-M, Kodachrome 25.

I am SOOOO happy that you have taken the time to go into your film archives.  I miss you eye for composition from the other photo forums, which I visit more and more infrequently.

On 7/5/2019 at 7:05 AM, chrism said:

Everything you see from now on will be from the F6 or Hasselblad 500c/m. I've sold everything else (well, no one has bought my nice Chamonix 4x5 yet!) to make things simpler if life gets complicated in other respects. This one was F6, 105 MicroNikkor, XP2 @200, HC-110 and the X1. I've bought a replacement shipping crate for the X1 (there was a contractor who didn't listen when I told him to keep that big box when he cleared out the basement of my office building) as I'm trying to decide whether to keep it as a 'white elephant' or dispose of it.

That F6 looks like a great camera.  

On 7/6/2019 at 2:16 AM, jcraf said:

Reflection

MP, 35 Summicron Asph, Neopan 400.

awesome

On 7/6/2019 at 7:36 AM, benqui said:

again some waterdrops with M6, Ilford Delta 400 pushed up tp 800 and Apo 50mm

wow really stunning, Marc.  Love love love

On 7/6/2019 at 12:23 PM, Wayne said:

Kodak Retina (Type 118) recently brought back to life. SK Xenar 50/3.5, Fuj Superia 100

This is spectacular, Wayne.  Such a painterly scene with the colors all in the right place.

On 7/7/2019 at 7:26 AM, Steve Ricoh said:

UltraMax 400; Pentax MX, 50mm f/1.4

Steve - you are JAMMING with your vision.  Just thinking about a year or so ago you are uttering words of photographer's block.  You are in a groove big time.  And think it is time to put a portfolio of these together and start thinking about an exhibit.  It is really unique and authentic.  Bravo!

On 7/7/2019 at 7:26 AM, espelt said:

Marbach am Neckar.

M2; Summicron dr; Agfa APX 100; Rodinal

Nothingness that is full of everything one could want in a photograph.  Bravo.

On 7/7/2019 at 9:39 AM, Tmx said:

500 cm, 50mm, FP4, Moersch Eco

Wow, this is AWESOME.  Love the dreaming motion blue in the water and everything else!

On 7/7/2019 at 11:43 AM, chrism said:

A Good Shave by chrism229, on Flickr

ah, simple pleasures for the man who has everything :) 

On 7/7/2019 at 12:21 PM, sblitz said:

Oxford .... Ektachrome 50mm summliux

love it Steve.

On 7/7/2019 at 12:23 PM, sblitz said:

and the last one ...

Is the High Street with University College in the background?  If so, I studied there for a few months in college.  It was a while ago and my memory is faded, the plethora of green grass, done kebabs, baked beans for breakfast, and dark pubs are tattooed in my brain forever!

On 7/7/2019 at 2:56 PM, Michael Hiles said:

King’s Arms pub and River Ouse, York. Busy Saturday. York is a very interesting city – well worth a visit (or 2). This was a revisit after 42 years. A highlight (then and now) is the fantastic stained glass in the Minster. Look for the Five Sisters. XP2, as always.

Elegant as always, Michael

On 7/7/2019 at 5:48 PM, AntonioF said:

Old limestone mine

Mamiya 645, Sekor 80/2.8, Trix and a red filter

20190707-img206_clean-2 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

Love it, Antonio!

On 7/8/2019 at 12:50 AM, adan said:

Kodak TMax 400, Hasselblad C500, 60mm Distagon

Very good, Adan.  Technically perfect.  Love the rendition.  And it has a amusing storyline to it.  Also like the frame within a frame with the guy in the rectangle window of his cart, which is tilted in an interesting way.  Got more?

On 7/8/2019 at 5:30 AM, Xícara de Café said:

IIIf, Summicron 5cm 1:2 collapsible, Ilford Delta 100, Kodak D-76 1+1.

Love these sorts of well-executed abstracts.

On 7/8/2019 at 7:07 AM, stray cat said:

Strange to think as we shiver in Melbourne that this was taken just a few days ago...

Waikiki 2019

M6TTL, 35mm summicron, portra 400

Welcome back, Phil!!  Looks like you had a great trip and I look forward to hearing and seeing more about it.  Love this photo very much, although I agree with others that it looks very un-portra-like, although not  negative at all whatsoever.  I will cast my opinion and say it resembles superia 1600.  Very bright and fun atmosphere!

On 7/8/2019 at 5:24 PM, Ernest said:

Rauschenberg's Brush Not Erased
M-A APO 50 E100

Color field study of walls, windows, a Kauai mannequin, a film end tab, and Rauschenberg's 1/4 Mile brush, not erased like his "Erased Willem de Kooning Drawing" (1953). On this 100th birthday of Bauhaus, which Leica recognizes with a limited edition CL--what happened to the commemorative Bauhaus M-A?--I used Josef Albers's innovation of the transparency of opaque colors, while notably paying homage to Albers and his Bauhaus photocollages from 1930, shot with his Leica, which included many mannequin collages. The mannequin as a subject made a statement about identity in an emerging world of production-line assembly and was also the focus of Albers's contemporaries--Eugene Atget, Bill Brandt, Manuel Alvarez Bravo, and many others. When Albers and his wife emigrated to the United States in 1933, he taught at the Black Mountain College and many of his students became important artists, among them, Robert Rauschenberg. So, what's more appropriate to restate Rauschenberg's contributions and beginnings from a Bauhaus teacher than a simple paintbrush. Well, perhaps not so simple when we consider that the tool of art becomes the art itself, just as color field study restates the basis for color photography. Of course, we have to give a nod to black-and-white, as well. The restricted palette of grays.

simply fantastic, Rog!  Love the human element that you have added.

On 7/9/2019 at 5:51 AM, philipus said:

I guess I need a hat...

Flickr
80 Planar Ektar X1

wow, great scan and colors, Phil.

On 7/9/2019 at 6:00 AM, mdp said:

Eucalyptus tree

MP Summarit 90/2.4 Ektachrome

Perfect colors and love the abstract.

23 hours ago, Steve Ricoh said:

Ektar, Pentax MX, 1:1.4/50

There you go again, Steve.  Very cool.

6 hours ago, erl said:

I pop in and out of this thread. Today I am here with a bit of history.

A little bit of history just passed through my hands and my Hasselblad. My last roll of Kodak Portra VC 220 was shot today. It was 18 years expired. I would be surprised if any more was in captivity. That means all my Hasselblad 220 magazines are now paper weights! Have just processed it. Looks OK. Scanned OK.

Here is a selection I shot at my regular walking scenario at the Red Bluff Cliffs in Sandringham, Victoria, Australia.

Hasselblad 203FE + Distagon 40mm lens.

P.S. Note the drone flying in image #2.

These are amazing, John.  I just love the colors and really appreciate the film and stock and the fact that you have taken the time to share these.

Btw, your very generous DVD arrived the day that I left for Isreal (where I am now) and I have not had a chance to open it.  But I very much look forward to doing so later in August when I return!

• Thanks 13

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 minutes ago, A miller said:

Welcome back, Phil!!  Looks like you had a great trip and I look forward to hearing and seeing more about it.  Love this photo very much, although I agree with others that it looks very un-portra-like, although not  negative at all whatsoever.  I will cast my opinion and say it resembles superia 1600.  Very bright and fun atmosphere!

Thank you sincerely Adam, and I hope and trust you are enjoying your time in Israel. Can't wait to see the pictures!

re the photo from Waikiki, I think the vivid representation of the colors is largely due to home processing with fresh chemicals. Also, I am not a purist like, say, Doc Henry, and like to work with a picture to get the representation that I like, but this is really not too far off how the scene presented. Waikiki, like Israel appears from your pictures, is a colorful place!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, erl said:

I pop in and out of this thread. Today I am here with a bit of history.

A little bit of history just passed through my hands and my Hasselblad. My last roll of Kodak Portra VC 220 was shot today. It was 18 years expired. I would be surprised if any more was in captivity. That means all my Hasselblad 220 magazines are now paper weights! Have just processed it. Looks OK. Scanned OK.

Here is a selection I shot at my regular walking scenario at the Red Bluff Cliffs in Sandringham, Victoria, Australia.

Hasselblad 203FE + Distagon 40mm lens.

P.S. Note the drone flying in image #2.

Very nice, John, and this gives me great memories - up until about five years ago this beach was just a ten minute walk from home! Thank you!

Edited by stray cat
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to the results, Adam. Btw it looks like your Beach 19 gym programme has paid off :D 

1 hour ago, A miller said:

Having some fun with my Technorama at the Dead Sea here in Israel.  I have one sunrise under my belt as well as some midday shooting in the 41C outdoor sauna atmospherics 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is as plain as it gets flower-wise, shot during last year's scorching summer on Gotland.

Flickr
80 Planar+32E Ektar X1 Edited by philipus
  • Like 19

1 hour ago, stray cat said:

Thank you sincerely Adam, and I hope and trust you are enjoying your time in Israel. Can't wait to see the pictures!

re the photo from Waikiki, I think the vivid representation of the colors is largely due to home processing with fresh chemicals. Also, I am not a purist like, say, Doc Henry, and like to work with a picture to get the representation that I like, but this is really not too far off how the scene presented. Waikiki, like Israel appears from your pictures, is a colorful place!

Thanks, Phil. And kudos on the home develop and stellar result.  I by no means am suggesting that portra needs to look like portra etc.   Quite the contrary, this image has so much authenticity and filmaesthetic qualities.  I just love it

1 hour ago, espelt said:

Stuttgart Weißenhofsiedlung

M2 . Summicron dr . Agfa APS 100 . Rodinal

Wow, a beautiful B&W.  Congrats!

4 minutes ago, philipus said:

Looking forward to the results, Adam. Btw it looks like your Beach 19 gym programme has paid off :D 

He he, well i was raised in Texas with the mustangs, cows and football. I think i lifted a lifetime of weights by the time i was 18, and i havent really stopped due to the effect on my psyche  🙂 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, A miller said:

Love this one, Steve.  You really have a great eye for composition using simple subjects.  Very good!

Love this one too

And this - wow

Lovely scene - very peaceful and also love the film aesthetic.  

Love this one, Rog. Fantastic colors and lines.

I am SOOOO happy that you have taken the time to go into your film archives.  I miss you eye for composition from the other photo forums, which I visit more and more infrequently.

That F6 looks like a great camera.  

awesome

wow really stunning, Marc.  Love love love

This is spectacular, Wayne.  Such a painterly scene with the colors all in the right place.

Steve - you are JAMMING with your vision.  Just thinking about a year or so ago you are uttering words of photographer's block.  You are in a groove big time.  And think it is time to put a portfolio of these together and start thinking about an exhibit.  It is really unique and authentic.  Bravo!

Nothingness that is full of everything one could want in a photograph.  Bravo.

Wow, this is AWESOME.  Love the dreaming motion blue in the water and everything else!

ah, simple pleasures for the man who has everything :) 

love it Steve.

Is the High Street with University College in the background?  If so, I studied there for a few months in college.  It was a while ago and my memory is faded, the plethora of green grass, done kebabs, baked beans for breakfast, and dark pubs are tattooed in my brain forever!

Elegant as always, Michael

Love it, Antonio!

Very good, Adan.  Technically perfect.  Love the rendition.  And it has a amusing storyline to it.  Also like the frame within a frame with the guy in the rectangle window of his cart, which is tilted in an interesting way.  Got more?

Love these sorts of well-executed abstracts.

simply fantastic, Rog!  Love the human element that you have added.

wow, great scan and colors, Phil.

Perfect colors and love the abstract.

There you go again, Steve.  Very cool.

These are amazing, John.  I just love the colors and really appreciate the film and stock and the fact that you have taken the time to share these.

Btw, your very generous DVD arrived the day that I left for Isreal (where I am now) and I have not had a chance to open it.  But I very much look forward to doing so later in August when I return!

Not sure which college. It was such a commercial tourist area vs my last visit in 1984 that Lizanne and I grabbed a taxi and visited Woodstock and Blenheim 

On 6/1/2013 at 6:23 PM, Michael Hiles said:

Bonjour Henri,

I still prefer black and white film (I use almost no colour). The advantages of digital don’t mean much to me. Seeing instant results is not so useful, since what comes out of a camera is always far from a final result, and the final result requires time and thought.

Film also continues to improve. The quality of available film and developers is as good as it has ever been, and it is still as competent as digital sensors of equivalent size.

I also much prefer silver gelatine prints. They have a presence that is unique, which I like. Silver prints are generally not available to the digital home worker. They are available, but not so easily, and not instantly (eliminating one advantage of the digital camera).

I also am not sure I would be quite as pleased to live with a current digital M camera as I am with my M3 and (particularly!!) my M2. I have not yet used or seen anything that surpasses them.

I also like the fact that pressing the button has a cost. It means that I won’t take a machine gun approach (because there is no incremental cost to making another digital exposure). Good pictures imply thought of one form or another, and the constraint of 36 pictures and some cost is not limiting – it promotes good and thoughtful photography.

The picture is at St-Amand-de-Coly, near Sarlat-la-Canéda, France.

Do tell me why the M2 over the M3 please?!

Edited by nefarious
Autocorrect!

vor 2 Stunden schrieb philipus:

This is as plain as it gets flower-wise, shot during last year's scorching summer on Gotland.

Flickr
80 Planar+32E Ektar X1

Love the Elderflower. In spring syrup is made for cool fresh Lemonade and in late summer we make a dark red juice from the elderberries for the wintertime.
We eat the juice as a hot sweet soup with apple pieces, and semolina dumplings. Bad cold in winter? Never.... 😉

• Thanks 1

Kodak Gold, Pentax MX, 1:1.4/50

• Like 15

5 hours ago, A miller said:

Most gracious, Adam. I read a book entitled 'Art & fear' by Baylis and Orland. Recommended reading for anyone experiencing the 'block'. Mind you, I have to remind myself that no matter how much I would like 100% success, resulting in 36 out of 36 frames being keepers, its simply not possible, and if you don't allow the 'flow' you'll likely size up, as I did.

• Thanks 3

Stuttgart, Weißenhofsiedlung

M2 . Summicron dr . Agfa APX 100 . Rodinal

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1