I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

5 hours ago, chrism said:

Everything you see from now on will be from the F6 or Hasselblad 500c/m. I've sold everything else (well, no one has bought my nice Chamonix 4x5 yet!) to make things simpler if life gets complicated in other respects. This one was F6, 105 MicroNikkor, XP2 @200, HC-110 and the X1. I've bought a replacement shipping crate for the X1 (there was a contractor who didn't listen when I told him to keep that big box when he cleared out the basement of my office building) as I'm trying to decide whether to keep it as a 'white elephant' or dispose of it.

What lenses do you have for the 4x5?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica m6/ Visoflex II/ Bellows II /Tele-Elmar/ Kodak 200

It became necessary to make pictures to relaunch my website. I made a few tests with my-not-so-bad digital ricoh gxr as usual and was not pleased. So I decided to do it on film. It's unusual nowadays, but I'm pleased.

Joachim

• Like 18

VEB Zeiss Ikon Taxona, (square format 35mm) 3.5/35 Novonar Anastigmat, HP5

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

UltraMax, Pentax MX, 85mm f/2

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Here we go - 35mm film, versus APS digital. Same subject, same flash(!), just 20 years in between. Oh, the film is the more recent one!

Film vs Digital by chrism229, on Flickr

In the red corner we have an F6, 1.4/85mm, Ilford XP2 Super, Kodak HC-110, Hasselblad X1 scan, and in the blue corner a Nikon D70, and some forgotten kit lens. Both photos used the same Nikon Speedlight, though the D70 on the right side used its tiny supra-prism light as a trigger, thus providing some fill light, whilst the F6 had no such capability and the flash was hard wired and the only light available. I can't say I have learnt much this last twenty years, but there we have it. Subjects grow, but their photographers maybe do not.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, chrism said:

Here we go - 35mm film, versus APS digital. Same subject, same flash(!), just 20 years in between. Oh, the film is the more recent one!

Film vs Digital by chrism229, on Flickr

In the red corner we have an F6, 1.4/85mm, Ilford XP2 Super, Kodak HC-110, Hasselblad X1 scan, and in the blue corner a Nikon D70, and some forgotten kit lens. Both photos used the same Nikon Speedlight, though the D70 on the right side used its tiny supra-prism light as a trigger, thus providing some fill light, whilst the F6 had no such capability and the flash was hard wired and the only light available. I can't say I have learnt much this last twenty years, but there we have it. Subjects grow, but their photographers maybe do not.

The film wins, easily (for me anyway) 

• Like 2

Kodak Retina (Type 118) recently brought back to life. SK Xenar 50/3.5, Fuj Superia 100

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2019 at 1:06 PM, A miller said:

What lenses do you have for the 4x5?

All are sold save for the one I got on my original Crown Graphic - the Linhof Synchro-Compur f4.7/127mm lens with caps. Currently on a Chamonix 4x5 lensboard, but could also come on a Graflex lensboard with a Crown Graphic attached.

11 minutes ago, mdp said:

The film wins, easily (for me anyway) 

Me too. I hope I didn't fail to learn anything in the twenty year interregnum. Maybe the fact I gave away the D70 , and bought a second F6 shows something (though I have since sold that second F6 along with almost all my other cameras, though not for photographic reasons, just practical ones). I don't need to prove anything with respect to the film vs digital battle. Film satisfies me when I make a decent picture, and digital feels like I cheated. C'est tout.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, chrism said:

All are sold save for the one I got on my original Crown Graphic - the Linhof Synchro-Compur f4.7/127mm lens with caps. Currently on a Chamonix 4x5 lensboard, but could also come on a Graflex lensboard with a Crown Graphic attached.

Me too. I hope I didn't fail to learn anything in the twenty year interregnum. Maybe the fact I gave away the D70 , and bought a second F6 shows something (though I have since sold that second F6 along with almost all my other cameras, though not for photographic reasons, just practical ones). I don't need to prove anything with respect to the film vs digital battle. Film satisfies me when I make a decent picture, and digital feels like I cheated. C'est tout.

The F6 looks like a cracking camera, I nearly bought one but ended up getting another film M instead!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mdp said:

The F6 looks like a cracking camera, I nearly bought one but ended up getting another film M instead!

I too have bought yet another M, but as much as I enjoyed the feel and size of the several* M cameras I've owned, I'd still suggest that any film enthusiast owes it to his or her self to have an F6. Film cameras could certainly have been developed further, but it represents the furthest they actually went in 35mm. And you can buy one new, with a warranty. I had two, one for B&W and one for colour, but in my severe cutbacks I have sold one of them and reduced all my activity to one F6 and one 500c/m. Suits me, but that's just me. I wouldn't tell anyone else what they should own or use.

*M2, M5, M7 x2, MP x2, M8, M8.2, M9, MM.

Edited by chrism
Left out the M2!
  • Like 3

Chroma III
M-A APO 50 E100 & ADOX Color Implosion

• Like 19